HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   1978 Playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1312915)

LeBlondeDemon10 12-28-2012 05:46 PM

1978 Playoffs
 
The links are for a 1978 playoff game between Montreal and Detroit.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frpANyqC3nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su2eBIYOOYc

These chapters cover most of the first period. Its fuzzy quality for sure. However, there are no further links to this game that I can find. Can anyone help? Thanks

Big Phil 12-28-2012 06:32 PM

Anyone else wonder how in the world Detroit beat Montreal one game in that series? Islanders in 1977 I can see, but Detroit in 1978?

LeBlondeDemon10 12-28-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 56880131)
Anyone else wonder how in the world Detroit beat Montreal one game in that series? Islanders in 1977 I can see, but Detroit in 1978?

I still remember how I felt when I heard Detroit had won that game. I was in grade 3 and everyone hated Montreal because they were so good. I also remember the first game of that series where Cournoyer passed it behind his back to Houle for a goal on a 2 on 1. Amazing goal. That was my first year of watching hockey regularly. The memories are spotty but here are some others:

- Montreal routing Philly at the Forum 7-1. First time I really noticed Lafleur. He scored on a semi breakaway, blasting a shot from just outside the faceoff circle.
- Cheevers throwing the puck into the crowd in Vancouver getting a delay of game penalty. One of the few late night editions of HNIC in those days.
- Lanny McDonald scoring in OT to beat the Isles, throwing his gloves in the air.
- And, coincidentally, the night the Rangers thumped the Habs at home 6-3 to end their unbeaten streak.

davebenj 12-28-2012 08:45 PM

I so wish I were alive in the 70's to view these great games. My sister who was 4 in 1978 (or actually 3 as her b-day is in November of '74) used to love staying up late watching these games even at that age. Looked like a fantastic game!

reckoning 12-28-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 56880131)
Anyone else wonder how in the world Detroit beat Montreal one game in that series? Islanders in 1977 I can see, but Detroit in 1978?

What I remember most about that game was Danny Gallivan shouting "Oh, no!" when Detroit scored the insurance goal late in the third; which led to a lot of complaints about how Gallivan was biased towards the Habs. Maybe he was a bit, but he had a great voice and I really miss hearing him calling the games.

Detroit had a young up-and-coming team, but considering that Montreal outscored them 16-4 over the rest of the series, the game was probably just a wake-up call for them.

reckoning 12-28-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 (Post 56883837)
- Lanny McDonald scoring in OT to beat the Isles, throwing his gloves in the air.
- And, coincidentally, the night the Rangers thumped the Habs at home 6-3 to end their unbeaten streak.

Vividly remember both of those games as well. It's a bit unfortunate that McDonald is remembered as the hero, because Mike Palmateer was the teams best player in that series and the only reason they were still around in Game 7 OT.

The Rangers/Montreal game was on HNIC on Saturday night. It was Hardy Astrom's first NHL game, and to debut like that was amazing. People thought the Rangers had discovered the next great goalie of the future.

Big Phil 12-29-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reckoning (Post 56884769)
What I remember most about that game was Danny Gallivan shouting "Oh, no!" when Detroit scored the insurance goal late in the third; which led to a lot of complaints about how Gallivan was biased towards the Habs. Maybe he was a bit, but he had a great voice and I really miss hearing him calling the games.

Detroit had a young up-and-coming team, but considering that Montreal outscored them 16-4 over the rest of the series, the game was probably just a wake-up call for them.

Like Game 1 of the 1979 must have been a wake up call for them too.

Canadiens1958 12-29-2012 06:34 AM

Hardy Astrom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by reckoning (Post 56885075)
Vividly remember both of those games as well. It's a bit unfortunate that McDonald is remembered as the hero, because Mike Palmateer was the teams best player in that series and the only reason they were still around in Game 7 OT.

The Rangers/Montreal game was on HNIC on Saturday night. It was Hardy Astrom's first NHL game, and to debut like that was amazing. People thought the Rangers had discovered the next great goalie of the future.

Hardy Astrom never played an NHL playoff game.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...astroha01.html

Rangers 6-3 win with Hardy Astrom in goal, was a January 1978 regular season game:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19770529


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.