HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WJC: Canadians insist they won't dive to get calls (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1313231)

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 12-29-2012 02:35 PM

Canadians insist they won't dive to get calls
 
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412428

Quote:

UFA, RUSSIA Canada's players insist they will not dive to get calls even though the referees at the world junior hockey championship seem to be susceptible to such moves.

"Obviously, if you look at the logic, it might be the smart thing to do, but that's not what Canadian hockey is about," said forward JC Lipon. "We want to win fair."

Claypool 12-29-2012 02:36 PM

Everyone dives. It doesn't matter where you're from.

kp61c 12-29-2012 02:37 PM

ok, refs, take a note

Emerica 12-29-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claypool (Post 56899579)
Everyone dives. It doesn't matter where you're from.

Exactly.

Zybalto 12-29-2012 02:43 PM

Personally, I'd like to see more simulation penalties from the refs and I agree that all nations have their share of divers.

What I HATE are players who fake injuries. There should be some sort of way to punish that behaviour.

KulleKing* 12-29-2012 02:44 PM

What a joke. You just need to take a quick look at canadas favourite boy and you know the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDLOYNsjuc

So funny. :D

KareemTrustfund 12-29-2012 02:47 PM

Lipon must have missed Schiefele's dive last game...

BobDobolina 12-29-2012 02:48 PM

Not like those worthless Russians http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/don...erry_don01.jpg

Big Phil 12-29-2012 02:57 PM

I hope they don't. Didn't care for Schiefele's yesterday. It certainly isn't the Canadian way to do it, or at least there was a time (maybe not this generation) where Canadians as a general rule wouldn't act like European soccer players. I always hope we don't score when there is a powerplay from a ridiculous dive. I honestly do. I never like it when we start taking the cue of Russian and European teams. We're supposed to be better than that.

Trotzig 12-29-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claypool (Post 56899579)
Everyone dives. It doesn't matter where you're from.

Yupp, we should also not forget these people are still junior players.

JackSlater 12-29-2012 02:59 PM

Too late for them to say that. Hopefully they mean they won't dive any in the upcoming games.

shortshorts 12-29-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 56900153)
I hope they don't. Didn't care for Schiefele's yesterday. It certainly isn't the Canadian way to do it, or at least there was a time (maybe not this generation) where Canadians as a general rule wouldn't act like European soccer players. I always hope we don't score when there is a powerplay from a ridiculous dive. I honestly do. I never like it when we start taking the cue of Russian and European teams. We're supposed to be better than that.

"I never like it when we start diving like Euros"?

What the **** is this? Everyone dives.

fredligh 12-29-2012 03:00 PM

What drugs is Lipon on?

Big Phil 12-29-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortshorts (Post 56900217)
"I never like it when we start diving like Euros"?

What the **** is this? Everyone dives.

As a general rule, yes, sad to say Canadians have copied the lead and are just as bad right now. There was a time when they weren't though, and I admired that more.

Kadri43 12-29-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 56900323)
As a general rule, yes, sad to say Canadians have copied the lead and are just as bad right now. There was a time when they weren't though, and I admired that more.

As a general rule I would agree that there was a time when Canadians did not really dive, at least not like they do today. Think of good Canadian boys like Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour. Those guy would rather lose than dive.

UsernameWasTaken 12-29-2012 03:08 PM

more from the same article:

Quote:

So what's a coach to do? Spott admits he's thought about giving his players the green light to embellish.

"We've talked about it as a staff. It's funny, we said, 'Maybe it's something we should start invoking with our players,' but all the Canadian young hockey players from the time they're five or six years of age to these guys now don't lie down. We'll always get up and drag ourselves off the ice."

Spott pointed out that Mark Scheifele was kneed by Branislav Rapac in the first period on Friday, but didn't stay down. He got up and skated slowly to the bench. "If Mark lies down it's a five-minute major," Spott said. The play resulted in a two-minute minor.

"That's not our game," said Portland Winterhawks winger Ty Rattie, who will fill Lipon's third-line role against the United States on Sunday. "If we get hit and we're not hurt then we get up. That's one of the first lessons my dad ever taught me when I was playing hockey."

"Some of the penalties were related to injury a little bit, but if you see one of our guys laying on the ice it would be a big surprise to me," said second-line centre Ryan Strome, who plays for the Niagara IceDogs in the OHL. "We're not going to do anything extra to draw penalties. We're going to get our penalties by working hard and moving our feet."
maybe none of them were actually watching the game?

fredligh 12-29-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 56900323)
As a general rule, yes, sad to say Canadians have copied the lead and are just as bad right now. There was a time when they weren't though, and I admired that more.

Instead they targeted star players of opposing teams, worse then diving imo.

Nash 12-29-2012 03:14 PM

I loathe diving and embellishment, but when you see the officials calling it that way, while it is noble to say you won't do it, it is foolish to not partake. If Scheifele stays down like Mikus did after he got the knee on knee, I'm sure the IIHF officials would have conferenced and given Canada a 5 minute powerplay. The officiating isn't going to change overnight, so taking a stand on principle is stupid. It puts Canada at a disadvantage against teams that will exploit it. Embellishment has always been bad in international hockey, but players feigning injury seems worse this year than I can remember seeing in a recent tournament. I'm used to officials making a call and sticking to it. These conferences going on while the "injured" player talks with his team trainer are getting excessive. I'm just waiting for the day that some team's trainer brings out the miracle aerosol spray that always heals those poor soccer players that get carried off the field on stretchers.

jcbio11 12-29-2012 03:16 PM

I guess he missed the dives by his teammates in the last game.

Everyone dives, Canada is no better than any other hockey nation. Anyone who says so needs to get off their high horse.

Oh yeah I forgot - Canadians only do it because others do it as well :)

Either you dive, or you don't! And Canadians dive... (just like everyone else of course).

Kadri43 12-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredligh (Post 56900453)
Instead they targeted star players of opposing teams, worse then diving imo.

I would say that diving is far worse; I cannot stand diving. On the other hand, if a player tries to injure another within the rules than it is all good. I used to love watching Scott Stevens, the old Phanuef in Calgary, and Bryan Marchment do bone crunching open ice hits.

Kadri43 12-29-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash (Post 56900497)
I loathe diving and embellishment, but when you see the officials calling it that way, while it is noble to say you won't do it, it is foolish to not partake. If Scheifele stays down like Mikus did after he got the knee on knee, I'm sure the IIHF officials would have conferenced and given Canada a 5 minute powerplay. The officiating isn't going to change overnight, so taking a stand on principle is stupid. It puts Canada at a disadvantage against teams that will exploit it. Embellishment has always been bad in international hockey, but players feigning injury seems worse this year than I can remember seeing in a recent tournament. I'm used to officials making a call and sticking to it. These conferences going on while the "injured" player talks with his team trainer are getting excessive. I'm just waiting for the day that some team's trainer brings out the miracle aerosol spray that always heals those poor soccer players that get carried off the field on stretchers.

Man those pathetic European soccer players disgust me. The worst have got to be the Italians and the Spaniards. If hockey ever got to that point I would never watch another game.

Rexor 12-29-2012 03:21 PM

Seems like an obvious attempt to put more pressure on the refs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadri43 (Post 56900649)
Man those pathetic European soccer players disgust me. The worst have got to be the Italians and the Spaniards. If hockey ever got to that point I would never watch another game.

The worst are Catalans.

Bomber0104 12-29-2012 03:21 PM

If you look at the logic...hahah

It's true, you can't deny it.

Prisoner dilemma.

Kadri43 12-29-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbio11 (Post 56900569)
I guess he missed the dives by his teammates in the last game.

Everyone dives, Canada is no better than any other hockey nation. Anyone who says so needs to get off their high horse.

Oh yeah I forgot - Canadians only do it because others do it as well :)

Either you dive, or you don't! And Canadians dive... (just like everyone else of course).

I would like to see a statistical analysis of the number of players that dive and the frequency. I also acknowledge that is would be pointless, time consuming and expensive.
The league could hire independent organizations to conduct the analysis over the course of the season or something.

LeafDangler 12-29-2012 03:24 PM

Diving and faking injuries are two different things. The ship has sailed on diving and it's now a part of the game for all nationalities.

Luckily the injury faking isn't as prevalent in NA hockey IMO. You see it all the time in the EPL, etc. Players stay down to force the refs hand and/or draw a card. Case in point Mikus yesterday. I think if you're hurt enough to lie on the ice, you're hurt enough to miss at least a shift. Tough thing to legislate though. How can you differentiate between broken ribs, wind knocked out and faking? Part of the problem with penalizing the result rather than the action.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.