HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   New skates adjustment period (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1313911)

doughmadore 12-31-2012 08:37 AM

New skates adjustment period

I'm relatively new to the game was using the vapor 2.0 for the last couple of years. I decided to upgrade to the 5.0's and while getting fitted at a local hockey shop the sales person measured my foot and informed me that the previous skate I was wearing for the last two years was one whole size too big. The old skate never bothered me and seemed to fit right. (purchased at a Purehockey store). He said I would see a big improvement in my power and feel much more centered with the new properly fitted skate. So last night I used the new 5.0's for the first time and they felt weird. I'm assuming this is to be expected and I'll eventually get used to them. Anyone else run into this when upgrading? I just hope my technique is not all messed up from playing with big skates for two years.

Jarick 12-31-2012 10:01 AM

What do you mean by "fit weird"?

doughmadore 12-31-2012 02:43 PM

The skates fit fine. They were baked and felt great on my feet right off the bat. The feel of the skates on the ice just felt weird. I'm not really sure I can explain it. I just felt almost like I was skating for the first time in these. Everything just felt different, from my strides, turning, pivots, etc. It's probably just because I'm not used to this model coupled with the size issue.

Dktdonut 01-02-2013 08:00 AM

It could be that the new size uses a different blade length. I had this happen a few years ago after switching brands and noticing that the same size skate used a different size holder. The first time out was unbearable since I kept catching a toe or heel but by the second skate I was used to it already. As long as the boot fits well you should be fine. Good luck.

doughmadore 01-02-2013 08:24 AM

That's probably it since the sales guy did say that this blade was shorter. I went from the Vapor 2.0 to the 5.0's.

Wilch 01-02-2013 09:53 AM

My One70 took about a month to break in.

When I upgraded to the One100 it took less than 3 games to break in.

EDIT:

Note that I dropped 1 size down to a slightly tighter fit. For some reason, that worked out much better for me.

AIREAYE 01-02-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dktdonut (Post 57006891)
It could be that the new size uses a different blade length. I had this happen a few years ago after switching brands and noticing that the same size skate used a different size holder. The first time out was unbearable since I kept catching a toe or heel but by the second skate I was used to it already. As long as the boot fits well you should be fine. Good luck.

In addition to that, could be the pitch of the boot as well (more forward leaning or neutral)

doughmadore 01-02-2013 09:26 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm going to try to hit a stick practice this week to work out the kinks.

AIREAYE, btw you suggested the Combat sticks to me months ago. I got one and it's pretty good. Still not as good as that S19 but nice.

AIREAYE 01-03-2013 01:06 AM

Did I? I think that was someone else because while I've heard good things, I haven't ever used one.

rbarker26 01-03-2013 10:39 PM

When I started out, I was using some cheap easton skates (I think I got them for like $60) in size 12. I finally upgraded to some vapor 4.0's, but went down a half-size to a 11.5. My vapors took about a month to break in, but they felt better, and I could skate faster and overall better with them. Just try to play as much as you can, hell even go to public skating sessions to help break them in. Once they are fully broken in, they should be comfortable and help improve your skating