HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WJC: Players that disappointed the most (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1313999)

Jabba11 12-31-2012 11:07 AM

Players that disappointed the most
 
Let's have a discussion on players that disappointed up till now in the tournament.

The player that disappoints the most in this WJC is Nail Yakupov for me. Watching him carefully, we can see that he doesn't have a high hockey IQ and makes terrible decisions with the puck. That's his main flaw.

Nathan MacKinnon just had a very bad game vs Russia. He's not properly used by Spott but he has to show more when given the chance.

Discuss!

L4vK 12-31-2012 11:10 AM

Yakupov for me. Galchenyuk have been a little bit underwhelming IMO, I expected him to scored 2g-2a each game :shakehead

Ewan McGregor 12-31-2012 11:14 AM

Another one for Yakupov. You'd think he'd be the one excelling in this type of play considering how the only criticism was being unsure if he can play his game in the NHL.

Taco Fingerhat 12-31-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabba11 (Post 56962747)
Let's have a discussion on players that disappointed up till now in the tournament.

The player that disappoints the most in this WJC is Nail Yakupov for me. Watching him carefully, we can see that he doesn't have a high hockey IQ and makes terrible decisions with the puck. That's his main flaw.

Nathan MacKinnon just had a very bad game vs Russia. He's not properly used by Spott but he has to show more when given the chance.

Discuss!

MacKinnon's probably never played on the fourth line in his life, so I'd give him a free pass so far. With limited icetime and more defensive linemates, it's kind of difficult to play an offensive/defensive game.

I've might get flamed for this, but I've been expecting to see more from Huberdeau personally. I know he has 7 points in 4 games, but he just hasn't wowed me in a tournament where I expected him to breakout. I thought the 2nd line was the weakest of the 4 lines Canada iced today, and that comes after Huberdeau gets demoted to that line. and agree with you on Yakupov as well.

sbrug 12-31-2012 11:17 AM

Huberdeau, Schiefele, and Ritchie

Mirinho 12-31-2012 11:21 AM

from czech team I'd say Faksa ... but he still has some shiny moments (today tic-tac-toe combination with Jaskin and Hyka)

I wouldn't call it disappointment, but "we expected little bit more" :)

RipsADrive 12-31-2012 11:22 AM

Yakupov is still leading team Russia with 4 points along with Kucherov.

The team as a whole just hasn't been very good although it is fair to expect more from him seeing as he's a 1st overall pick though.

fly4apuckguy 12-31-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat (Post 56962983)
MacKinnon's probably never played on the fourth line in his life, so I'd give him a free pass so far. With limited icetime and more defensive linemates, it's kind of difficult to play an offensive/defensive game.

I've might get flamed for this, but I've been expecting to see more from Huberdeau personally. I know he has 7 points in 4 games, but he just hasn't wowed me in a tournament where I expected him to breakout. I thought the 2nd line was the weakest of the 4 lines Canada iced today, and that comes after Huberdeau gets demoted to that line. and agree with you on Yakupov as well.

What he said.

MacKinnon actually played okay today, but you can see that being in a limited role hurts him. He finally gets on the ice and just wants to do too much. His time with the puck is magical. He reminds me of Crosby in how he holds onto it. But what a limited role for him.

Huberdeau is by far and away the biggest disappointment for me. He looks lethargic at times, disinterested even. If you compare what he has done with the puck with what MacKinnon has done when he has had it, Nate has been far better. Huberdeau has already been replaced by one 17 year old. Is he going for two?

behemolari 12-31-2012 11:26 AM

even Barkov wasn't really that bad i was expecting him to dominate like he does usually

bsmith14 12-31-2012 11:27 AM

For Team Canada:

Ryan Murphy - Not as good on the PP as I expected, misses the net on the majority of his shots, atrocious in his own end.

Mark Scheifele - Overall he has been ok, but he seems to get knocked down every shift. Is he made of feathers??

Jonathon Huberdeau - Has been a step behind RNH, Strome and even Scheifele. Nothing really bad about his play, but underwhelming in general.

MastuhNinks 12-31-2012 11:30 AM

I was expecting Yakupov to be the 2nd best forward in the tournament and he has been pretty invisible so far. I'm a fan of his so I'm not trying to knock him, but in the 2 games I've seen him in (USA and Canada games) he has been terrible. Losing the puck and missing the net often, he has just been a huge disappointment for me (although I can't say I'm that upset over a Russian player struggling :laugh:). Even if his stats have been alright, half of his points were against Germany in a 7-0 win, he had 1 point combined (a secondary assist) in his games against the other two good teams in the group, USA and Canada. I still think he has the talent to turn it around when it counts though, I'm certainly holding my breath whenever he's out there.

AaronEkbald 12-31-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrister39 (Post 56963025)
Huberdeau, Schiefele, and Ritchie

Canada hasn't lost a game and he's second in the tournament in scoring.

You gotta be..

:facepalm:

TheLeastOfTheBunch 12-31-2012 11:34 AM

Yakupov

99GoHabsGo99 12-31-2012 11:34 AM

Yakupov

Pajicz 12-31-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behemolari (Post 56963277)
even Barkov wasn't really that bad i was expecting him to dominate like he does usually

Disappointed of him as well, among many other Finns like Granlund, Lehkonen and Armia.

Seth Jones also hasn't really looked like a possible 1st overall pick so far...

sbrug 12-31-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts (Post 56963509)
Canada hasn't lost a game and he's second in the tournament in scoring.

You gotta be..

:facepalm:

Wins, wins, wins, points, points, points.

He's not someone you take 3rd overall. He's selfish, takes dumb penalties (not just at WJC) and is not as offensively talented as the media make him out to be. You just don't build around a guy like that.

Cam98 12-31-2012 11:38 AM

Yakupov, Galyenchuk, Murphy, Mackinnon, Jones, Hamilton all been disappointing.

Zamuz 12-31-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajicz (Post 56963585)
Disappointed of him as well, among many other Finns like Granlund, Lehkonen and Armia.

Funny because imo Granlund has been great.

Disappointments: Määttä & Lehkonen.

hototogisu 12-31-2012 11:39 AM

Considering the thread is "disappointed most" as opposed to "worst", my early candidate would be Dougie Hamilton. He hasn't been overly terrible or anything, but I expected a lot more from him. Hope he had a good game today, I haven`t seen it yet.

As far as forwards go, I guess it has to be Yakupov...he seems to be having a hell of a time playing in the system Russia`s implementing.

backhandsauce 12-31-2012 11:41 AM

Also got to remember that every team shadows Yakupov. He has no space at all. On the PP they basically have one guy there to watch Yakupov and take away his one timer.

hototogisu 12-31-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil (Post 56963777)
Also got to remember that every team shadows Yakupov. He has no space at all. On the PP they basically have one guy there to watch Yakupov and take away his one timer.

It's not going to get much easier in the NHL so he had better start adjusting.

fly4apuckguy 12-31-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrister39 (Post 56963679)
Wins, wins, wins, points, points, points.

He's not someone you take 3rd overall. He's selfish, takes dumb penalties (not just at WJC) and is not as offensively talented as the media make him out to be. You just don't build around a guy like that.

I would tend to agree.

Huberdeau may have put up some points, but how many of those are off of the play of RNH? If you look at what he has CREATED, it has been next to nothing.

AaronEkbald 12-31-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrister39 (Post 56963679)
Wins, wins, wins, points, points, points.

He's not someone you take 3rd overall. He's selfish, takes dumb penalties (not just at WJC) and is not as offensively talented as the media make him out to be. You just don't build around a guy like that.

:laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mirinho 12-31-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 56963813)
It's not going to get much easier in the NHL so he had better start adjusting.

that's so true ...

MastuhNinks 12-31-2012 11:46 AM

Huberdeau has been fine, you guys are crazy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.