HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Superstition and the year 2013 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314199)

Suntouchable13 12-31-2012 07:54 PM

Superstition and the year 2013
 
I am not superstitious in the least bit, but I am wondering how the really superstitious people will handle the 13th year of this century. From example, I read that some people might be really weary of having any kids this year. Any really superstitious people here? How will you handle it?

Shrimper 12-31-2012 07:59 PM

Couldn't help but chuckle with the fact that you have the number 13 in your name.

kducks 12-31-2012 08:03 PM

Thought the same thing when I saw his name :laugh:

No superstition here, I live with a black cat

Zaide 01-01-2013 04:18 AM

Have never been supersticious about the number 13. And especially not for the 13th year of this century, as I just see the year as 2013 alone.

Garo 01-01-2013 04:19 AM

It's the 14th year of the century, actually.

awfulwaffle 01-01-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garo (Post 56981177)
It's the 14th year of the century, actually.

You sir, are a thread killer.

Kane One 01-01-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garo (Post 56981177)
It's the 14th year of the century, actually.

No it's not. It's the 13th. There was no year 0.

The first decade (in AD) went Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, then Year 10. The next decade started with Year 11.

Now if you go further than that, the first thirteen years of the third millennium (the 2000s) went 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. That's 13 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awfulwaffle (Post 56981287)
You sir, are a thread killer.

I am the thread reviver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 (Post 56976305)
I am not superstitious in the least bit, but I am wondering how the really superstitious people will handle the 13th year of this century. From example, I read that some people might be really weary of having any kids this year. Any really superstitious people here? How will you handle it?

I'll take it well. Since this is the 21st time the year ended with 13, I like our odds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awfulwaffle (Post 56981287)
You sir, are a thread killer.

Now I'm the thread killer.

/thread

Garo 01-01-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 56981297)
No it's not. It's the 13th. There was no year 0.

If you're basing it on the birth of a human being (Which we are), there kinda is a year 0. The first decade of your life is 0-9, then the second is 10-19. Same principle here.

0 wouldn't be "year AD", but there would be a "month AD" and all that. Why am I thinking about this?

Kane One 01-01-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garo (Post 56981373)
If you're basing it on the birth of a human being (Which we are), there kinda is a year 0. The first decade of your life is 0-9, then the second is 10-19. Same principle here.

It depends on how you word it. I'm born on May 21, 1992. That makes me 20 years old, but also, this is the 21st year of my life.

When people say what year it is, they are referring to what year it is and not how long years have been kept track of.

Quote:

Year zero does not exist in the Anno Domini system usually used to number years in the Gregorian calendar and in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. In this system, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(year)

Garo 01-01-2013 05:25 AM

That was actually interesting. Seems like it depends a bit.

It's kinda confusing because AD refers to the year he was born, which I keep forgetting, but in French we say "after JC", so it doesn't make sense to count 0 as 1.

Kane One 01-01-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garo (Post 56981403)
That was actually interesting. Seems like it depends a bit.

It's kinda confusing because AD refers to the year he was born, which I keep forgetting, but in French we say "after JC", so it doesn't make sense to count 0 as 1.

If you want to look more into it, here's a page for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millenn...m_celebrations

And so I wouldn't derail this thread further, I started a thread on this topic on the Science Board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1314331

FromTheSide 01-01-2013 06:28 AM

Some hebrews believe that the 13th of the month is actually a blessed day, so i guess this will be a blessed year for them :sarcasm:

Propane Nightmares 01-01-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 56981297)
No it's not. It's the 13th. There was no year 0.

The first decade (in AD) went Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, then Year 10. The next decade started with Year 11.

Now if you go further than that, the first thirteen years of the third millennium (the 2000s) went 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. That's 13 years.



I am the thread reviver.



I'll take it well. Since this is the 21st time the year ended with 13, I like our odds.



Now I'm the thread killer.

/thread

No this is the 14th year:

Year 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

That's 14.

The year 2000 is part of the 21st century.

mightyquack 01-01-2013 12:18 PM

Pretty sure according to Gregorian Calendar that 2001 is the first of the 'century' and first year of the 3rd millennium (ie the 3rd millennium goes from 2001->3000, 4th is from 3001->4000 and so on)

While 2000 was the first of the 2000's decade but the last of the 2nd millennium.

tl;dr:

2000's decade: 2000->2009
2010's decade: 2010->2019

20th century: 1901->2000
21st century: 2001->2100

2nd millennium: 1001->2000
3rd millennium: 2001->3000

2001: 2nd year of decade, 1st of 21st century + 3rd millennium, therefore 2013 = 13th year of the century and millennium

Greeningfan14 01-01-2013 12:20 PM

I'm not overly superstitious

Janks 01-01-2013 12:40 PM

I'll take my chances like I did with the Mayan calendar

Propane Nightmares 01-01-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyquack (Post 56984621)
Pretty sure according to Gregorian Calendar that 2001 is the first of the 'century' and first year of the 3rd millennium (ie the 3rd millennium goes from 2001->3000, 4th is from 3001->4000 and so on)

While 2000 was the first of the 2000's decade but the last of the 2nd millennium.

tl;dr:

2000's decade: 2000->2009
2010's decade: 2010->2019

20th century: 1901->2000
21st century: 2001->2100

2nd millennium: 1001->2000
3rd millennium: 2001->3000

2001: 2nd year of decade, 1st of 21st century + 3rd millennium, therefore 2013 = 13th year of the century and millennium

It should be 1000-1999
Then 2000-2999

Just makes more sense to me

Kane One 01-01-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats (Post 56985675)
It should be 1000-1999
Then 2000-2999

Just makes more sense to me

Then how long was the first century? 99 years?

Propane Nightmares 01-01-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 56987593)
Then how long was the first century? 99 years?

I guess so

internet will prove I'm wrong but hey ho, I guess I prefer to say --00's to centuries.

But what confuses me is why isn't there a year 0? It's supposed to be years after Jesus, so surely the year 1 wouldn't start until a year after he was born or whatever

WhipNash27 01-01-2013 10:01 PM

I don't even understand why 13 is considered unlucky. I think in Italy it's considered a lucky number :laugh:.

RandV 01-01-2013 10:54 PM

I live on the 13th floor, guess I'm screwed.

kducks 01-01-2013 11:49 PM

The asian community is very superstitious and for whatever reason the number is considered bad luck. Most of the buildings in Hawaii and Las Vegas have no 13th floor, they go from 12 to 14. They had to change the lion at the MGM grand too because they refused to walk into the entrance when you walked into the huge lion.

RJ8812 01-02-2013 08:53 AM

2013....

the first year since 1987 to have 4 different numbers

:amazed:

still life 01-02-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 57008887)
2013....

the first year since 1987 to have 4 different numbers

:amazed:

lol, neat. That had never even occurred to me.

99GoHabsGo99 01-02-2013 10:45 AM

I was always curious about the promo


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.