HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The KHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   KHL Winter Classic (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314335)

BalticWarrior 01-01-2013 08:14 AM

KHL Winter Classic
 
Are there any plans on making KHL winter classic? It would be great for the league IMO and would attract more followers

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 08:56 AM

There was an outdoor game in the VHL last year and I don't think fans there too thrilled to sit 2,5 hours while there's -25 degrees outside. Furthermore, there are only few cities who could sell out a stadium and has a new/good one. And while in NA Winter Classic is a celebration of the sport, one day when hockey gets more attention than football and basketball I don't see a way to make one game so special and relevant to everyone (not just the fans of the two teams playing) in Russia.

All things considered, it would be just one really tough project to pull off in the KHL.

BalticWarrior 01-01-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56981841)
There was an outdoor game in the VHL last year and I don't think fans there too thrilled to sit 2,5 hours while there's -25 degrees outside. Furthermore, there are only few cities who could sell out a stadium and has a new/good one. And while in NA Winter Classic is a celebration of the sport, one day when hockey gets more attention than football and basketball I don't see a way to make one game so special and relevant to everyone (not just the fans of the two teams playing) in Russia.

All things considered, it would be just one really tough project to pull off in the KHL.

Yes,maybe but if KHL improved their marketing strategy to make it relevant it could be done IMO.

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helo (Post 56981877)
Yes,maybe but if KHL improved their marketing strategy to make it relevant it could be done IMO.

Everything can be done. The question is "is it worth it?". Is it? In US it most certainly was but I can't see what's the big benefit of such event in Russia.

BalticWarrior 01-01-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56981911)
Everything can be done. The question is "is it worth it?". Is it? In US it most certainly was but I can't see what's the big benefit of such event in Russia.

Well it would be a huge thing for the popularity of the league,luring in fans from Sweden,Finland etc.

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helo (Post 56981965)
Well it would be a huge thing for the popularity of the league,luring in fans from Sweden,Finland etc.

How? Why would Swede or Finn watch it? What would make one game so special that all of the sudden world's eyes would turn on him?

You are making these bold statements with no arguments to back them up.

BalticWarrior 01-01-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56982103)
How? Why would Swede or Finn watch it? What would make one game so special that all of the sudden world's eyes would turn on him?

You are making these bold statements with no arguments to back them up.

And again we come to the question of marketing,league has to make rivalries like NHL does Pittsburgh Penguins vs Washington Captials. ask yourself why do swedes ,finns,germans watched this Winter classic around the world? Because it was marketed as the most important hockey moment that year.

Acallabeth 01-01-2013 10:28 AM

It's... COLD. We have a huge open-air stadium for Bandy in Kemerovo and I hate to go there because of. However, with right marketing a hockey town could easily sell such game out (just like when in 2007 when World Bandy Championship gained 30k attendance in quite a frosty weather).

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helo (Post 56982275)
ask yourself why do swedes ,finns,germans watched this Winter classic around the world? Because it was marketed as the most important hockey moment that year.

Marketing can only do so much, first of all you got to have a marketable product. NHL has world's best hockey and best players from all over the world. Seeing Lundqvist and Hagelin in such game is appealing to Swedes, Voracek to Czechs, Gaborik and Chara to Slovaks, Timonen to Finns, Hecht and Seidenberg to Germans, Vanek to Austrians and so on, because it's a rare chance to see them play when you're not supposed to be sleeping. That's a big thing not to mention world-class hockey superstars like Ovechkin and Crosby.

And what do the KHL have to offer? You can see bunch of Russians and some mediocre internationals who won't even make your NT skating around everyday.

BalticWarrior 01-01-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56982663)
Marketing can only do so much, first of all you got to have a marketable product. NHL has world's best hockey and best players from all over the world. Seeing Lundqvist and Hagelin in such game is appealing to Swedes, Voracek to Czechs, Gaborik and Chara to Slovaks, Timonen to Finns, Hecht and Seidenberg to Germans, Vanek to Austrians and so on, because it's a rare chance to see them play when you're not supposed to be sleeping. That's a big thing not to mention world-class hockey superstars like Ovechkin and Crosby.

And what do the KHL have to offer? You can see bunch of Russians and some mediocre internationals who won't even make your NT skating around everyday.

Its not about the players its about how the Winter classic is presented itself.

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helo (Post 56982683)
Its not about the players its about how the Winter classic is presented itself.

:facepalm:

This is starting to look like I have to prove something to a wall.

Yes, in a way it is about how the Winter Classic is presented but it is THESE PLAYERS and THE HIGH LEVEL OF THE ON-ICE PRODUCT which enables the NHL to present it in such manner. Because it's very important match and because there are best players from all over the world and the highest level of hockey.

People are not that stupid. You can't just say "hey, it's the KHL match but really you have to watch it". You have to give them the reason and at this point KHL doesn't have that reason. It doesn't offer anything spectacular.

Acallabeth 01-01-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 56982803)
Yes, in a way it is about how the Winter Classic is presented but it is THESE PLAYERS and THE HIGH LEVEL OF THE ON-ICE PRODUCT which enables the NHL to present it in such manner. Because it's very important match and because there are best players from all over the world and the highest level of hockey.

People are not that stupid. You can't just say "hey, it's the KHL match but really you have to watch it". You have to give them the reason and at this point KHL doesn't have that reason. It doesn't offer anything spectacular.

Meh, NHL has the best players, but that doesn't mean that on-ice product is always the best. Just look at Western Stanley Cup playoffs this year - cool, so many stars and so well-organised teams, too bad the games were generally extremely unspectacular.
Hockey level in the KHL is actually the closest aspect comparing to the NHL. Many people think it's better than the NHL's (whether they are right or wrong, they think so). But NHL name magic is what really makes the difference here.

Orange Thunder 01-01-2013 12:35 PM

I would tune in.

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReleaseTheLehner (Post 56984011)
I would tune in.

Really? At 3AM?

vsk92 01-01-2013 04:35 PM

How about a game between Moscow teams in the Luzhniki (probably too big of a stadium) or Lokomotiv stadium

Like the Finnish version that is between Jokerit and HIFK in the Olympic Stadium

http://kuvapankki.jatkoaika.com/g2/d...G_0184_001.jpg

SoundAndFury 01-01-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsk92 (Post 56988969)
How about a game between Moscow teams in the Luzhniki (probably too big of a stadium) or Lokomotiv stadium

IMO it would be a bit too brave to organize such event in the city which doesn't care about hockey. Empty seats wouldn't look good.

SimplySensational 01-01-2013 06:58 PM

Without 24/7, the Winter Classic is just a regular season game that is played in a football stadium on New Years day.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.