HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   When is there usually cheaper plane tickets? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314473)

Jovavic 01-01-2013 04:24 PM

When is there usually cheaper plane tickets?

The fam and I are planning on going down to Disney World in the first half of 2013 but we haven't really nailed down a time yet. When are airline tickets the cheapest? MIddle of the week? March? April? Any input from seasoned travelers are welcome :)

RayP 01-01-2013 04:26 PM

I've always read that Tuesday morning is the cheapest day to buy them, something to do with when and how many sales they release then... and that pretty much all day Sunday is the most expensive.

No proof on this, but I almost always find Wednesday and Thursday to be the cheapest days to fly, at least in my experience.

beowulf 01-02-2013 06:27 AM

Depends of the destination but tickets tend to be cheapest in February-April and again in late summer early fall as most people take their vacation in and around Christmas holidays and during the summer. As for day of the week, as mentioned, Early to mid week tend to be the cheapest.

tony d 01-02-2013 07:01 AM

Usually flight tickets are cheapest post-Christmas. People don't travel much during the winter months so ticket prices go down during that time.

Francesa 01-02-2013 07:01 AM

Midweek sounds 'bout right.

blue425 01-02-2013 07:11 AM

Try airfarewatchdog

stingo 01-02-2013 09:14 AM

Tuesdays and Wednesday's are the cheapest dates to fly. I wouldn't bother booking anytime in the next week or two, flights are still crazy high due to the holiday season. I'm trying to get a plane ticket to Thailand, but everything is coming up 1800 or more. I flew in November for 1200, and in June, flew for 1100.

Check everyday though, and if a deal comes up, snag it.

Hockeygirl81 01-02-2013 07:14 PM

Two of my friends and I have actually been thinking of going to Disney in early 2013 too...are you planning to stay at a Disney resort? I'm not much help as far as looking at flight costs but we've been doing some research into the cheapest/least crowded times to go to Disney and room rates seem to be cheapest Jan 21st to Feb 13th ($95 a night)...after Feb 18th the same rooms can cost up to $175 a night and that's just in the value resorts. So it's definitely cheapest to go during that time period. If you aren't staying at Disney that doesn't help you at all though really lol.

Jovavic 01-02-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeygirl81 (Post 57029461)
Two of my friends and I have actually been thinking of going to Disney in early 2013 too...are you planning to stay at a Disney resort? I'm not much help as far as looking at flight costs but we've been doing some research into the cheapest/least crowded times to go to Disney and room rates seem to be cheapest Jan 21st to Feb 13th ($95 a night)...after Feb 18th the same rooms can cost up to $175 a night and that's just in the value resorts. So it's definitely cheapest to go during that time period. If you aren't staying at Disney that doesn't help you at all though really lol.

My wife's cousin actually works at the park and they are dealing with the tickets and hotel stuff and I'm in charge of getting the plane tickets. They still haven't given me much of a window yet as to when we are going though

zytz 01-03-2013 11:07 AM

usually when there are lots of I filled seats on the plane

WTFetus 01-03-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayP (Post 56990331)
I've always read that Tuesday morning is the cheapest day to buy them, something to do with when and how many sales they release then... and that pretty much all day Sunday is the most expensive.

No proof on this, but I almost always find Wednesday and Thursday to be the cheapest days to fly, at least in my experience.

Tuesday and Wednesday have been the cheapest days for me too. I guess it depends on the type of airline you're using. I bought pretty cheap Southwest Airlines tickets to Disneyworld just a few weeks ago (leaving in a couple of days). Typically, tickets are cheaper a few weeks after a major holiday.

Maybe look at flights 2 or 3 weeks after Easter?

jumptheshark 01-03-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina (Post 56990301)
The fam and I are planning on going down to Disney World in the first half of 2013 but we haven't really nailed down a time yet. When are airline tickets the cheapest? MIddle of the week? March? April? Any input from seasoned travelers are welcome :)

try kayak.com

that being said you are heading into an area where there is nearly always high demand and the tickets will be high

joy about having no rug rats--I get to go during the cheaper time and have far more fun

Ser Woof 01-03-2013 06:53 PM

When are there...

BackGroundMusic 01-04-2013 09:50 PM

Tuesdays at 3p, actually.

Altimus 01-04-2013 10:34 PM

we found that traveling at midnight was the cheapest airfare...of course this was on a weekend, context was for flying from Syracuse to NYC for 60 bucks vs 96 bucks. of course we were both adults so we loaded up on caffeine for the drive home. We thought of options like getting a 6am flight to save 30 bucks was an idea, but the realism that we would have to leave our house at midnight, stay awake all night and then sleep 12 hours in NYC once we landed was ****ing stupid.

Long story short: look at the cons of saving money. It may bit you in the ass. We landed in NYC at 1:30PM, met my cousin and had the whole night to enjoy the ambiance of it since we were semi rested, alert and able to grasp how awesome the experience was.

D Fresh 01-05-2013 08:40 PM

Bookmarked thread for future reference.
My 2 cents is budget airlines. Pretty obvious I'm sure.
If you're in Canada and near the border it's supposedly a lot cheaper to fly within the US as opposed to into.

Le Tricolore 01-05-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Fresh (Post 57155639)
Bookmarked thread for future reference.
My 2 cents is budget airlines. Pretty obvious I'm sure.
If you're in Canada and near the border it's supposedly a lot cheaper to fly within the US as opposed to into.

It definitely is. I regularly save at least a few hundred dollars by driving two hours to Vermont rather than flying out of Montreal.