HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Creative solutions to gun violence in the U.S. II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314521)

Colt45Blast 01-01-2013 08:00 PM

Creative solutions to gun violence in the U.S. II

Continue with the nutty solutions to gun violence and how almost everyone else doesn't care about those in the inner city killed by gun violence or by other means for that matter since they aren't victims of a mass shooting at a school or a mall.

ECL 01-01-2013 08:08 PM

Someone should make another thread for this just so this ridiculous post is not the opening post.

Sevanston 01-01-2013 08:17 PM

AP would be Exhibit A for why this board should be "on-topic and lightly moderated"

Not that I would support such a change.

Ilkka Sinisalo 01-01-2013 08:19 PM

thankfully I don't view the original post.

Colt45Blast 01-01-2013 08:23 PM

The other 3 are trying to derail the thread so I have a much better idea toward reducing gun violence and crime all around for that matter. That idea is teaching others something called self-control. If one has self-control, they are not going to kill someone in illegal fashion while those who don't have self-control will kill someone in an illegal fashion with any means possible regardless if whatever means they use to kill are legal or not.

Sirquacksalot 01-01-2013 08:24 PM

Four Americans who volunteered to go to a country torn apart by civil war are killed when one of the groups vying for power there starts a riot - international tragedy, impeach Obama, Clinton is faking her medical condition, etc. Twenty six people, twenty of them children ages five to seven, are killed when one person grabs his mother's guns and shoots up a place - he was just a loon, no need to establish gun control or anything drastic like that.

ECL 01-01-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevanston (Post 56994655)
AP would be Exhibit A for why this board should be "on-topic and lightly moderated"

Not that I would support such a change.

We moderate the idiocy by calling it out.

Wetcoaster 01-01-2013 08:42 PM

Rubber bullets? Seems creative.

No Fun Shogun 01-01-2013 09:11 PM

Mandate everybody own one gun and one gun only and have it required by law to have it on them at all times. Only thing is it's a single shot gun only and immediately breaks after shooting.

No one would fire first, out of the risk of missing and being wide open, but general d-baggery would drop significantly as everyone would know that a couple hundred people are around them at all times willing to take a shot if they get a tad too annoying.

ECL 01-01-2013 09:30 PM

Again, Chris Rock has it right. Just make bullets cost $10,000 each. Then you know whoever got shot deserved it.

Francesa 01-01-2013 09:31 PM

Ah ha. Hadn't though of that bit in a while. That was comedic gold by Chris Rock

ECL 01-01-2013 09:33 PM

Helton4Hall 01-01-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP (Post 56994123)
Continue with the nutty solutions to gun violence and how almost everyone else doesn't care about those in the inner city killed by gun violence or by other means for that matter since they aren't victims of a mass shooting at a school or a mall.

Hi hater.

ChicagoBlues 01-01-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP (Post 56994877)
The other 3 are trying to derail the thread so I have a much better idea toward reducing gun violence and crime all around for that matter. That idea is teaching others something called self-control. If one has self-control, they are not going to kill someone in illegal fashion while those who don't have self-control will kill someone in an illegal fashion with any means possible regardless if whatever means they use to kill are legal or not.

You are right of course, AP, that people are responsible for their own actions. People kill people. Ad all that. I get it and I agree with that.

The problem is that we cannot possibly teach responsibility to each and every person with or without a firearm.

Firs of all, many people will never learn (for whatever reason) the level of responsibility it takes to own and operate a firearm.

There are far too many variables to control in order to say that guns are safe. If unstable people have guns, then the guns are unsafe. And there are a lot of unstable of people with guns .

Wetcoaster 01-01-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues (Post 56997963)
You are right of course, AP, that people are responsible for their own actions. People kill people. Ad all that. I get it and I agree with that.

The problem is that we cannot possibly teach responsibility to each and every person with or without a firearm.

Firs of all, many people will never learn (for whatever reason) the level of responsibility it takes to own and operate a firearm.

There are far too many variables to control in order to say that guns are safe. If unstable people have guns, then the guns are unsafe. And there are a lot of unstable of people with guns .

And even normally stable people can blow a gasket in a given situation and if a gun is at hand the consequences can be deadly and tragic.

deytookerjaabs 01-02-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 56998983)
And even normally stable people can blow a gasket in a given situation and if a gun is at hand the consequences can be deadly and tragic.

No way, really? This is just the non-fatal shootings here on New Years Day:

Quote:

A look at non-fatal shootings:

4) A 29-year-old man was shot in the mouth and shoulder after a fight broke out at a bar on the West Side, police said. About 1:15 a.m., a fight erupted inside the bar in the 5000 block of West Madison Street in the Austin neighborhood, said police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro. The 29-year-old man was allegedly involved in the fight, which saw another man get hit on the head with a beer bottle, Alfaro said. The 29-year-old man was shot as he left the bar, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition stabilized, Alfaro said.

5) About 2 a.m., a 22-year-old man was shot in both legs and the scrotum during a fight at a house party on the Southwest Side, police said. He was at a party in the basement of a house in the 9700 block of South Beverly Avenue when he got into a fight with another man, said police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer. The fight escalated and the 22-year-old man was shot, Greer said, adding that he was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition stabilized.

6) About 2:40 a.m., a man was shot in the abdomen in the 11700 block of South Sangamon Street in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood, police said. Police learned of the shooting after the man, believed to be in his 20s, walked into the emergency room of MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, police said. The man was later transferred to Advocate Christ, where he was listed in critical condition, police said.

7) Also around 2:40 a.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the arm near North and Kedzie avenues in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, Greer said. He exited a vehicle and began arguing with a group of people, police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan said. An unknown male then opened fire, shooting the boy once. Someone took the boy to Norwegian-American Hospital but he was later transferred to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center where he was listed in good condition.

8) About 2:45 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot while he was on the front porch of a home in the 5700 block South Laflin Street in the West Englewood neighborhood, police said. He was hit in the right forearm and refused medical treatment, police said.

9) About 3:50 a.m., a teenage girl and a man were shot outside in the 3800 block of South Wells Street in the Fuller Park neighborhood, Greer said. The 17-year-old girl was shot in the leg, Greer said, and the 30-year-old man was shot in the back. Paramedics took the man to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County and the girl to Mercy Hospital and Medical Center, Greer said, adding that both were listed in fair condition.

10) About 6:10 a.m., a man was in “grave” condition and a woman was critically injured in a shooting in the 5900 block of South Maplewood Avenue, said police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan, citing preliminary information. A 28-year-old man was shot in the head and chest, Sullivan said, and a 20-year-old woman was shot in the face and back. Both were taken to Stroger Hospital.

11) Tuesday afternoon at 4:18 p.m., a 21-year-old man was driving in the 4700 block of South Loomis Boulevard in the Back of the Yards neighborhood when two unknown males opened fire, police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan said. The driver was shot four times in the back, arm, chest and leg. He was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital.

12) About 10 minutes later, two teen boys were both shot in the 2600 block of West Chicago Avenue in the West Town neighborhood. One was shot in the chest, and both are in “stable” condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, police said. Their exact ages were not yet known.
A couple might be premeditated, the rest: losers drinking and losing their cool in the early hours of the next day.

BenchBrawl 01-02-2013 02:24 AM

I wouldn't mind everybody having guns , if ''everybody'' was people with above-average intelligence and judgement , respectful and honest human beings rarely prone to violence.

The number of 20-40 years old guys I've known with emotional issues and lack of control (therefore often prone to violent behavior) is astronomical.I take for granted that the vast majority of them won't change all that much during their 50s and 60s (though health could slow them down).

There's plenty of very frustrated guys out there that are just waiting for some frustrated but talented manipulator to give them a reason to live , a mission to complete.They can get hooked on all kind of ****ed up violent **** pretty quickly.Where is the help for these guys? Society has to be more pro-active with this kind of people because they're a group that is not likely to get the help themselves and they are the more likely to effectively commit violent acts.

Having said all of this , it is more re-assuring to know that the majority of people don't have that kind of fire power than to be able to have it myself.

Everlasting 01-02-2013 05:30 AM

Better education about gun violence. Then, wait a few generations. Prfoit.

Doppler Drift 01-02-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs (Post 57002365)
No way, really? This is just the non-fatal shootings here on New Years Day:

A couple might be premeditated, the rest: losers drinking and losing their cool in the early hours of the next day.

Stand your ground, self defense. The others would have been OK if they would have been armed. If the perpetrators wouldn't have had a gun they would have run the victims over (or lobbed a Molotov cocktail at them instead).

People died in the old days from sword and spear wounds long before the invention of firearms.

Guns don't kill people. people kill people.

http://www.redletterchristians.org/w...ploads/nra.jpg

Feel free to add your own.

http://cdn.blogs.fredericksburg.com/...sweb042510.jpg :facepalm:

NYRFANMANI 01-02-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP (Post 56994877)

"Self-control" depends on disciplin and will. Clearly two virtues not found too often in the modern society. Except the military (and others yes), they have those abilities, but also derail, in just shooting some random people at their will or higher order.

I don't see a solution to guns and weaponry. At least in those countries where it is cool for the populus to own some at home, I don't. Maybe there needs to be a mass shooting ala couple of millions US-citizens shoot themselves and police and then after that massacre the eyes might open.

The most creative thing I can think of is: In a gesture of peace and world wide benevolence, all rifles and hand guns get melted into arts pieces, memorial "stone" style. Rockets and nukes should just get flung at the sun.

Leafsdude7 01-02-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 (Post 57012165)
The most creative thing I can think of is: In a gesture of peace and world wide benevolence, all rifles and hand guns get melted into arts pieces, memorial "stone" style. Rockets and nukes should just get flung at the sun.

http://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_1.jpghttp://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_2.jpg
http://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_3.jpghttp://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_4.jpg
http://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_5.jpghttp://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_10.jpg
http://bodycount.dvd-forum.at/treehouse2/3_11.jpg

Free Kassian 01-02-2013 04:23 PM

More guns. You're welcome.

[/thread]

Nightslyr 01-02-2013 10:32 PM

I really hope the "reduce magazine size" push dies. It's just not a solution when the intrepid shooter simply decides to tape them together, back-to-back.

http://colonyofcommodus.files.wordpr.../stuff-006.jpg

Ilkka Sinisalo 01-02-2013 10:40 PM

does that really work? Seems to me it wouldn't load properly.

Tim Calhoun 01-02-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo (Post 57034793)
does that really work? Seems to me it wouldn't load properly.

Why don't you try it?