HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Top 30 Left Wingers #14 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314641)

GFS 01-02-2013 03:23 AM

Top 30 Left Wingers #14

#1 - Alex Ovechkin
#2 - Ilya Kovalchuk
#3 - Daniel Sedin
#4 - Zach Parise
#5 - Rick Nash
#6 - Patrik Elias
#7 - Patrick Marleau
#8 - Patrick Sharp
#9 - Bobby Ryan
#10 - Thomas Vanek
#11 - Taylor Hall
#12 - Ray Whitney
#13 - Milan Lucic

tony d 01-02-2013 07:43 AM

Alex Tanguay

NH57 01-02-2013 09:01 AM

Pacioretty, then Landeskog next

Johnny Bravo 01-02-2013 10:04 AM

Jeff skinner

Machinehead 01-02-2013 10:09 AM

Well these are moving along nicely :)

The Nose 01-02-2013 10:11 AM

Moulson.

bsmith14 01-02-2013 11:42 AM

Id rather have Landeskog than Whitney or Lucic so I vote for him

LPH 01-02-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahH57 (Post 57007771)
Pacioretty, then Landeskog next

I agree

Elvs 01-02-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith14 (Post 57012531)
Id rather have Landeskog than Whitney or Lucic so I vote for him

I'd rather have Landeskog than Martin St. Louis or Jarome Iginla. That has nothing to do with who's better.

ponder 01-02-2013 03:35 PM

Of the options given I'd take Dustin Brown.

I do think it's a poor idea to divide the polls by LW and RW though, since so many players switch sides so often. For example:
- Lupul and Brown are both "natural" RWs, but both played LW last year simply due to team needs (to allow Kessel/Williams to stay at RW). So why is Brown on the LW poll, but Lupul on the RW poll?
- Kovalchuk and Neal are the opposite, both "natural" LWs, but both played RW last year (to allow Parise/Kunitz to stay at LW). Why is Kovalchuk on the LW poll, but Neal on the RW poll?

It seems completely arbitrary. A massive number of wingers cannot really be classified as LWs or RWs, some years they play more RW, some they play more LW, depending on team needs. Really it makes more sense to have polls just for wingers in general.

BoxOfChocolates 01-02-2013 06:14 PM

Landeskog

Machinehead 01-02-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 57020299)

I do think it's a poor idea to divide the polls by LW and RW though, since so many players switch sides so often. For example:
- Lupul and Brown are both "natural" RWs, but both played LW last year simply due to team needs (to allow Kessel/Williams to stay at RW). So why is Brown on the LW poll, but Lupul on the RW poll?
- Kovalchuk and Neal are the opposite, both "natural" LWs, but both played RW last year (to allow Parise/Kunitz to stay at LW). Why is Kovalchuk on the LW poll, but Neal on the RW poll?

It seems completely arbitrary. A massive number of wingers cannot really be classified as LWs or RWs, some years they play more RW, some they play more LW, depending on team needs. Really it makes more sense to have polls just for wingers in general.

I agree. Defensemen don't switch sides any more than wingers do and yet defense is a general position while wing is divided into left and right. Makes no sense to me.

The Nose 01-02-2013 06:39 PM

Landeskog is not the 14th best LW in ghe NHL right now. He'll eventually progress to probably be top 10 but not right now.

Morlesio14* 01-02-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Incorrect, Lupul is a natural left winger. Part of his struggles in the past were because of him playing on the right wing. Even Carlyle admitted it was wrong to play Lupul on the right wing when both were in Anaheim. Lupul should be included on this list.

Elvs 01-02-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morlesio14 (Post 57031477)
Incorrect, Lupul is a natural left winger. Part of his struggles in the past were because of him playing on the right wing. Even Carlyle admitted it was wrong to play Lupul on the right wing when both were in Anaheim. Lupul should be included on this list.

Incorrect. He didn't struggle as a right winger in Anaheim, and he didn't struggle as a right winger in Philly. Lupul was a center in juniors, and has spent seven of his eight NHL seasons as a primary right winger. Lupul wasn't unsatisfied for playing RW in Anaheim, he was unhappy because he was playing a bottom six role. Carlyle didn't think he would work out on the left side, because he didn't have much success at it in previous attempts. Another reason was that the Ducks tried to build three scoring lines.

Deen 01-02-2013 10:47 PM

Went with Landeskog, but I think Hartnell needs more recognition.

Oates2Neely 01-03-2013 12:42 AM

I'll go with Hartnell, followed closely by Marchand (28 goals last season)

GFS 01-03-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 57025793)
I agree. Defensemen don't switch sides any more than wingers do and yet defense is a general position while wing is divided into left and right. Makes no sense to me.

Thanks for posting your suggestions since you two make some very good points. I am also conflicted at times with how to determine which position a player plays since there can be a lot of gray area involved. I separated the polls into LW and RW based on the suggestion of another poster. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to stop running this poll. Maybe do one more to make it a top 15 LWers?

MessierII 01-03-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 (Post 57009521)
Moulson.

3straight 30 goal seasons and he gets 4 freakin votes.....unreal

garret9 01-03-2013 02:06 AM

Kane and Ladd will do bad in these since they will split the homer votes.
One more offensive and one more defensive but both are solid top LWers.

McTank 01-03-2013 02:55 AM

Dont think landeskog is the best here at all but he has quite a large following on hf

bp spec 01-03-2013 05:38 AM

Hartnell

Cruel11 01-03-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MessierII (Post 57042287)

Welcome to HF.

Sky04 01-03-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MessierII (Post 57042287)

Please he's just a fringe NHL player, wouldn't be anywhere near those numbers without the second coming of jesus on his line.

Landeskog>him

:sarcasm:

Machinehead 01-03-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFS (Post 57041081)
Thanks for posting your suggestions since you two make some very good points. I am also conflicted at times with how to determine which position a player plays since there can be a lot of gray area involved. I separated the polls into LW and RW based on the suggestion of another poster. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to stop running this poll. Maybe do one more to make it a top 15 LWers?

I think the poll is fine it's more so hockey itself that divides wingers into two :laugh:

As long as there are LW's and RW's there's no reason we can't have a poll with the two of them separate. WE've worked around the grey area for years and I guess we'll continue to do so.

My point is they shouldn't be separate in the first place, but as long as they are the poll should stay in place.