HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Proposed Schedule (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314759)

cbcwpg 01-02-2013 12:03 PM

Proposed Schedule

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...185408542.html

SCHEDULE STUFF: The NHL has two schedules ready to go. A 52-game schedule beginning on Jan. 12 and a 48-game slate kicking off on Jan. 19. Both schedules would see teams play only against teams in their own conference. The regular season would end in late April and teams would play on average 3.20 games per week. Something like four games one week and three the next.

Based on this, I say cancel it all and come back when your ready to play a full year. Depending upon which team you are a fan of, this schedule is really going to bite.

Xref 01-02-2013 12:10 PM

I like it. Hockey 3 to 4 nights a week will be awesome. It's much better than 0 games per week.

rojac 01-02-2013 12:12 PM

Can you clarify what you see as so wrong about the proposed reduced schedule?

Concordski 01-02-2013 12:13 PM

48 was on the 1994-95 schedule, that's not bad, 52 would be even better. I don't think teams should play outside of their conference for the regular season anyway, but considering some fans want to see their teams come from out of town, I could understand why people would disagree.

Hutz 01-02-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbcwpg (Post 57015101)

SCHEDULE STUFF: The NHL has two schedules ready to go. A 52-game schedule beginning on Jan. 12 and a 48-game slate kicking off on Jan. 19. Both schedules would see teams play only against teams in their own conference. The regular season would end in late April and teams would play on average 3.20 games per week. Something like four games one week and three the next.

Based on this, I say cancel it all and come back when your[sic] ready to play a full year. Depending upon which team you are a fan of, this schedule is really going to bite.

What??? That's not at all where I thought you were going... I'll watch a 14 game season where each team only plays one other team 14 times if it means having NHL hockey to watch.

Pilky01 01-02-2013 12:14 PM

What exactly is the problem?

If anything, a schedule where you only play within your conference lends more credibility to the standings.

Heaton 01-02-2013 12:14 PM

3 games a week is perfect. Those early dates in October where teams would have 1 game in 8 days is terrible.

blamebettman* 01-02-2013 12:17 PM

No way they're starting on the 12th. It's already the 2nd and they have no agreement in place. AT BEST the 9th-13th would be a short training camp. Maybe squeeze in 2 pre season games and start on Jan 20th or so.

If we have long series in the playoffs...the season may actually stretch into July, or very close to it

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Based on this, I say cancel it all and come back when your ready to play a full year. Depending upon which team you are a fan of, this schedule is really going to bite.

So, in other words, you'd rather see no schedule at all instead of a schedule you marginally disagree with?

Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite their face....

No interconference play would suck, but not as much as no play at all.

JuniorNelson 01-02-2013 12:21 PM

I'm down with any schedule at all but let me make the observation that this will be another ignored opportunity for this league to do something worthwhile. Instead of using this fragment to become a league with modern travel management they reinforce the idocy that a balanced travel schedule is impossible to achieve.

All this talk of moving forward and evolving the league and growing the brand is just talk until something is actually done to further those goals. This league relies on thier fan's love of the game to excuse utter incompetence.

LadyStanley 01-02-2013 12:21 PM

See news thread, but it's possible there could be an agreement this evening.

In that case, a couple of days to ratify, and lockout could end circa 1/5, with camps opening 1/7 or so, with season starting circa 1/15.

In the bulk of the schedule, most teams have a game every 1.75 days on average, so "every other day" with a few back-to-backs can easily mean 3 to 4 games/week.

It would be pushing, but not overly so.

Gm0ney 01-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blamebettman (Post 57015561)
No way they're starting on the 12th. It's already the 2nd and they have no agreement in place. AT BEST the 9th-13th would be a short training camp. Maybe squeeze in 2 pre season games and start on Jan 20th or so.

If we have long series in the playoffs...the season may actually stretch into July, or very close to it

There will be no pre-season games, just a mini-camp and then straight into the regular season.

blamebettman* 01-02-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 57015631)
So, in other words, you'd rather see no schedule at all instead of a schedule you marginally disagree with?

Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite their face....

No interconference play would suck, but not as much as no play at all.

it would suck for sun belt teams. Phoenix/Florida for instance loves it when the Bruins, Rangers, Habs, Leafs, Hawks, Wings etc come to down since all the transplants from real hockey cities actually fill the building.

Also think about teams in the northeast corridor. Under the 48-52 game schedule a team like the Devils may spend an entire month just travelling to Boston, NYI, NYR, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Montreal. Very easy "road trips"

cbcwpg 01-02-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 57015393)
Can you clarify what you see as so wrong about the proposed reduced schedule?

Being reduced isn't the problem, it's the fact that the schedule isn't even close to being balanced. At this point in time, some teams are going to have a lot harder time making the playoffs in their conference VS the teams in the other conference. JMO but I see the Eastern Conference being a more difficult group of teams VS the teams in the Western Conference.

Doesn't really matter I guess if you don't mind winning the Cup and always having an Astrix besides your name.

Another issue is that a lot of people out west grew up watching and being fans of the Eastern teams, and they would like to see them.

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blamebettman (Post 57015739)
it would suck for sun belt teams. Phoenix/Florida for instance loves it when the Bruins, Rangers, Habs, Leafs, Hawks, Wings etc come to down since all the transplants from real hockey cities actually fill the building.

Sure, but the Yotes will still get the Hawks and the Wings and the Panthers will still get the Leafs, Habs, Rangers, and Bruins, so.... big whoop?

Plus, if anything, you'd think that having less games would be beneficial to all teams as it'd decrease supply while keeping demand at likely the same level.

Doctor No 01-02-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbcwpg (Post 57015809)
Being reduced isn't the problem, it's the fact that the schedule isn't even close to being balanced. At this point in time, some teams are going to have a lot harder time making the playoffs in their conference VS the teams in the other conference. JMO but I see the Eastern Conference being a more difficult group of teams VS the teams in the Western Conference.

Doesn't really matter I guess if you don't mind winning the Cup and always having an Astrix besides your name.

How is the schedule not even close to balanced?

rojac 01-02-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Another issue is that a lot of people out west grew up watching and being fans of the Eastern teams, and they would like to see them.

Actually, I don't think I understand your point about Eastern and Western conferences at all. Why is it any harder for an Eastern Conference team to make the playoffs in a 48 game schedule playing only against other Eastern Confernece teams than it would be for that team to make the playoffs in an 82 game schedule against both conferences?

Does anyone ever really complain about (or put an asterisk beside) New Jersey's win in 1995?

Lorenzo1000 01-02-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

What is this a surprise or something? I've been hearing this for quite a while now. As far as conference play goes I like it and I don't understand how it isn't balanced either? No details of how it will be set up. How many games against division opponents versus other conference teams?

Xref 01-02-2013 12:35 PM

One other thing to consider; there are roughly 300 players without a contract. This doesn't give teams/players much time to get deals done. Should be an interesting yet chaotic week next week (if a deal actually comes through this week)!

Xref 01-02-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 57016029)
Actually, I don't think I understand your point about Eastern and Western conferences at all. Why is it any harder for an Eastern Conference team to make the playoffs in a 48 game schedule playing only against other Eastern Confernece teams than it would be for that team to make the playoffs in an 82 game schedule against both conferences?

Does anyone ever really complain about (or put an asterisk beside) New Jersey's win in 1995?

Pretty much all Ranger fans, lol.

rojac 01-02-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xref (Post 57016195)
Pretty much all Ranger fans, lol.

lol. True enough. But they would have complained just as much if it had happened after an 82 (or 84*) game season. :)

* If a settlement had been reached before the lockout, one cannot really say whether or not they might have kept the 84 game season (with two neutral site games) used in 1992-93 and 1993-94.

Lazyking 01-02-2013 12:42 PM

I don't see the problem. Sure, if you want to see the Rangers in LA or against Detroit that's out but less travel for the players is a good thing in a crammed season.

Brodie 01-02-2013 12:42 PM

it sucks for Winnipeg fans, basically. That's the vibe I'm getting from the thread.

Lazyking 01-02-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 57016395)
it sucks for Winnipeg fans, basically. That's the vibe I'm getting from the thread.

not if they swap WPG and Columbus still.

LadyStanley 01-02-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Until there's a full season schedule with each team visiting (at least once) every NHL venue, there will be folk who don't see some of the other conference teams.

Putting that on the other foot, no one in the Eastern Conference will have a chance to beat the defending Stanley Cup champs, nor see the wunderkind Oilers.

Unless it's on TV.

(Rumor is the league may make NHL Center Ice "free" for the season.)