HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314817)

HookeyPlayer 01-02-2013 03:06 PM

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?

albertGQ 01-02-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer (Post 57021487)
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?

This is the answer for me

luongo321 01-02-2013 03:10 PM

There are emotional ties to a team. When another team scores it's not as if you get the same feeling. I still support other canadian teams, but it's just not the same cheering for another team unless you follow them regularly. When people don't get that same feeling, why would they ever want to cheer for another team?

Pretty silly question.

GoHabsGo57 01-02-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

What Habs fan would cheer for the Leafs in the playoffs? Or vise-versa? The Jets, on the other hand, I would cheer on. It's as you said, divisional and historical rivalries.

muckbin15 01-02-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

boston also did have more canadian players then vancouver that year, so then it comes down to cheering for the individual players over the organizations themselves.

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

Because supporting your country in sporting events is for the Olympics. Don't blame fans not supporting other teams, and especially not rivals, just because of they're in the same country.

Plus, for the Vancouver example.... they're a generally disliked team, to put it lightly, outside of British Columbia. No reason to expect other fanbases up north to like them just because they're north of the border.

T-Funk 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

I cheered for Ottawa and Montreal in the playoffs.
Would cheer for the Jets.

Don't really get a chance to cheer for Toronto in the playoffs.

Calgary is a tough one because they are such big provincial rivals but it depends who they are playing.

Vancouver makes a mockery of the game.

Qward 01-02-2013 03:14 PM

If you are a fan of a Canadian team, you probably hate the other Canadian teams.

And to be fair, the only Canadian teams to make it in the last couple years were Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal.

Toronto fans hate Montreal and Ottawa
Montreal fans hate Ottawa
Ottawa fans hate Montreal
and everyone hates Vancouver.

ponder 01-02-2013 03:15 PM

Rivalries.

With that being said, we do sort of rally around the Canadian team most of the time. Much of the country was behind teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal, etc. in their various semi-recent runs. The Leafs and Nucks seem to be the only two teams that draw a lot of hate from most provinces.

LeafOfBread 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

That's like asking Pittsburgh fans to cheer for Philadelphia. There's just too much animosity.

I honestly wouldn't mind cheering on the Flames or Oilers (I did in each of their Cup runs), the rest can kiss my ass though.

I already know nobody would cheer for Toronto :laugh:

Noob616 01-02-2013 03:18 PM

I think it depends on the team. The only Canadian team I cheer against is Toronto (Habs fan), it's just too much of a rivalry to cheer for them. I cheer for every other Canadian team in the playoffs, the Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver cup runs come to mind.

The other thing is a lot of Canadian fans are borderline Don Cherry xenophobes about hockey, people got behind Boston for being good ol' tough Canadian boys (despite their best players that year being an American and a Slovak), and were against the Canucks because of the Sedins.

SensPromo 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Sens fan, cheered for Edmonton, Calgary and Montreal. Initially was cheering for Vancouver (it lessened with their play near the end, but I guess I still wanted them to win). Only team I would never cheer for is Toronto, and that may just be because I don't want to have to deal with their fans/the media more than because I hate the team (but I do hate the team, just to clarify ;) )

Modo 01-02-2013 03:20 PM

With Dallas usually out of the playoffs, I feel no need to hop on a certain team's bandwagon just because they play in my country. :help:

Besides, if you're going to wax patriotic, isn't it enough that most players are still Canadian anyways?

jigglysquishy 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

I cheer for the Jets one, Canadian teams two and no one third.

OilerNut* 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

I'm sorry but no way in hell am I cheering for the Canucks or Flames. The NHL isn't about one country vs another country, it is team vs team.

Reynaldo28 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Because it is a club competition and not a national competition.

Fish on The Sand 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Generally canadian fans do rally around the last canadian team standing. Vancouver was the exception because their team was so unlikeable and filled with douches. When Edmonton and Calgary made it, especially Calgary, it was bandwagon galore.

rynryn 01-02-2013 03:31 PM

comes down to devotion and all the emotional over-reacting that comes with insane degrees of that. Grudges are held for years, little plays are blown way out of proportion, other (Canadian) fanbases are attacked and retaliate with the same vitriol and it ends up a simmering hurricane of dislike in the calm times that turns into outright hatred during turbulent times such as games against and when one team has success (and their fans relentlessly remind everyone) and others don't (and constantly hear about it). There are fans that devoted and who get that worked up for every NHL team but they don't exist in hordes in the US.

Matty Sundin 01-02-2013 03:32 PM

As a Leaf fan, I cheered for Calgary and Edmonton when they made there finals run. I didn't cheer for Ottawa in 2007 and hated the Vancouver team in 2011 I couldn't bare to root for them.

Scottrockztheworld* 01-02-2013 03:35 PM

Pettiness.

Everyone wants their team to be the one that finally brings the Cup back to Canada.

To the one poster saying that Bos had more Canadians then Van: While that maybe true that is usually what Canadians say when there is no Canadian team left. I mean sure the Cup will spend time in Canada with individuals but its more important to me that the team the Cup is going to is in Canada. Then there is the whole meeting the PM...etc.

I used to be the kind of fan that cheered for Canadian teams in the Finals: I cheered on Calgary (Mainly for Iggy), cheered on the Oilers & same for the Sens but after the crap & lack of support Van got in 2011 from the rest of the country I won't be doing that in the future. The only other Canadian team I will cheer for is the Habs.

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 03:36 PM

Also, it should probably be noted that while every Canadian fan wants to see the Canadian Stanley Cup drought end, they're more interested in wanting their team be the one that breaks the drought.

GrandChelems 01-02-2013 03:40 PM

Healthy rivalries prevent this. Otherwise a convenient vehicle for the self indulgent and shallow posers looking for a reason to chug beer and whoo-hoo come playoff time.

rynryn 01-02-2013 03:42 PM

how often do we see threads along the vein of "[My Canadian Team]: Canada's Team". They're usually backhandedly insulting the other Canadian teams while calling for their support. Fans sense this.

StayFrosy 01-02-2013 03:43 PM

Oh come on.

It's time the Cup comes back to Canada. And it's a joke that it's been this long.

I am a fan of all the Canadian teams, and I refuse to budge on that until some Canadian teams start winning the Cup, though obviously not ONLY Canadian teams should win it. I do like a few American teams as well. But in this situation, Canada comes first.

Sure I have preferences for who breaks the Cup drought, but I don't really care who does it as long as it happens ASAP. These lockouts are a joke as it is that there's a team who misses out on the Cup because of it. Who knows what could have happened in 04-05, and this year if the season ends up cancelled.

For me it's:

EDM > VAN > TOR > MTL > CGY > WPG > OTT

The situation with the Cup and Canada is so bad that I don't really care about divisional rivalries are all. Just bring the Cup home, please. I like a team if I like it.... I don't care about it's relation to my home team. It's just a game afterall.

Mouse21* 01-02-2013 03:45 PM

why would fans of opposing teams support some other team just because they are Canadian? this concept always seemed dumb to me.

why don't US fans support any US team?