HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL in Wisconsin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1314835)

ford42 01-02-2013 03:10 PM

NHL in Wisconsin
 
Hey everyone, im new to "HF boards". I just wanted to see what you guys think about Wisconsin getting an NHL team. I know you guys all have your favorite team but just for the league it would be a great state to tap into. I obviously am from WI, but Why do we have a NBA team and not a hockey team dont forget we have a football stadiam here we call the frozen tundra! Let me know what you guys think, dumb idea, great idea, ect....

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 03:14 PM

Probably not going to happen as Milwaukee's already quite oversaturated as a sports market (same argument I use about Indy not getting an NHL team) and is close enough to Chicago that the Wirtz's would almost assuredly use their influence to try to prevent a team from being placed there, even if they have no legal rights to the territory.

Maybe if the Bucks move to loosen up the area's disposable income, but not until then, and likely not even after that.

njdevil26 01-02-2013 03:15 PM

How about Madison?

mikitas donut 01-02-2013 03:17 PM

I have a lot of friends in Milwaukee, and a popular opinion up there is that they would gladly trade the Bucks for an NHL team. Not likely to happen though, but Madison sounds like a good idea.

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 03:20 PM

Madison's too small, and then add the even more massive presence of Milwaukee Badgers football, basketball, and hockey to the equation to make up for being further from Brewers and Bucks.

Jopsey 01-02-2013 03:29 PM

If they can try the NHL in places like Phoenix and Florida, why the hell couldn't they do it in Wisconsin where Hockey is actually appreciated? I would love to see a team there. Think of the rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin :sarcasm:

Qward 01-02-2013 03:29 PM

I think the safer bet would be Milwaukee since it has 3x the population.

The other sports should not affect it that much.
How do the Admirals do? There is always the option to move them to Madison and put an NHL team in Milwaukee.

The thing you always here Bettman say is "There needs to be an NHL size arena there before we even discuss it." With the Bradley Center you are already 1 step ahead of place like Seattle and Quebec City.

If they expand the league by two teams, they will still need to move a couple. Phoenix and Florida being the likely candidates.


I think Wisconsin getting a team is a better idea than Las Vegas.

GrandChelems 01-02-2013 03:32 PM

It's all down to supply and demand ... we all know there's more demand for ice hockey on the beaches of Miami than the frozen tundra of WI.

ford42 01-02-2013 03:32 PM

Your right madison isnt the biggest but subs have a bunch of people to(i understand not as many as chicago). Middleton, Sun praire, Waunakee, Verona, McFarland, and Milwaukee is not that far away. about 1hr and 20mins to the east side of madison.

No Fun Shogun 01-02-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 57022299)
If they expand the league by two teams, they will still need to move a couple. Phoenix and Florida being the likely candidates.

No they're not. Panthers ownership isn't looking to sell, which is the only thing that matters. Plus, they're being used as an anchor tenant for the arena for other events and it allows them operating rights to the arena, which they're using as a lynchpin for redevelopment efforts in the surrounding region.

In other words, the Panthers are being used as a loss-leader that'll make them money elsewhere. Until that changes, they're not moving.

ford42 01-02-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandChelems (Post 57022399)
It's all down to supply and demand ... we all know there's more demand for ice hockey on the beaches of Miami than the frozen tundra of WI.

i dont agree with that, i believe people grow a passion or maybe just an interest to sports and many other things as a child and to do that i believe you have to play/try ect. whatever that maybe. The point is i can go outside right now and slap the puck around like beach boy could play basketball. Its more accessable here, more passion ( the question would there be enough).

Qward 01-02-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 57022447)
No they're not. Panthers ownership isn't looking to sell, which is the only thing that matters. Plus, they're being used as an anchor tenant for the arena for other events and it allows them operating rights to the arena, which they're using as a lynchpin for redevelopment efforts in the surrounding region.

In other words, the Panthers are being used as a loss-leader that'll make them money elsewhere. Until that changes, they're not moving.

Yeah and there was a time when if you told someone that they would move a Canadian team to the desert they would laugh in your face.

I am not saying they are going to move next year, arena's usually have a 35 year life span. The arena is 15 years old, If they are still treading water in 20 years, they will be moved.

Arrch 01-02-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford42 (Post 57022675)
i dont agree with that, i believe people grow a passion or maybe just an interest to sports and many other things as a child and to do that i believe you have to play/try ect. whatever that maybe. The point is i can go outside right now and slap the puck around like beach boy could play basketball. Its more accessable here, more passion ( the question would there be enough).

Looks like an NHL team isn't the only thing you guys are missing...

GrandChelems 01-02-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandChelems (Post 57022399)
It's all down to supply and demand ... we all know there's more demand for ice hockey on the beaches of Miami than the frozen tundra of WI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford42 (Post 57022675)
i dont agree with that, i believe people grow a passion or maybe just an interest to sports and many other things as a child and to do that i believe you have to play/try ect. whatever that maybe. The point is i can go outside right now and slap the puck around like beach boy could play basketball. Its more accessable here, more passion ( the question would there be enough).

Ya missed my sarcasm dude!

Shakey Rustie 01-02-2013 03:50 PM

If Milwaukee wants a team, they should show the potential by supporting their AHL team, the Admirals. In a lockout, when many young players get sent down to the minors, Milwaukee averages 4,401 for home games, while the league average is 5,387 - to me that doesn't speak well for any potential NHL hockey in Wisconsin.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Blackhawkswincup 01-02-2013 03:51 PM

Not viable IMO

Milwaukee has shown very little interest in hockey and the Bradley Center is not a quality arena going forward. Proposed new Arena was roundly shotdown in all circles a few years back. Also have Brewers/Bucks to contend with for attention/corp sponsership

Madison is place were hockey is popular but the city is too small and the Badgers are king there

Not to mention I doubt Wirtz would be happy with idea of a NHL team this close to Chicago and potentially stealing some Northern Illinois hockey fans

GordieHoweHatTrick 01-02-2013 03:54 PM

I would love to see Wisconsin have a pro hockey team

Blackhawkswincup 01-02-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick (Post 57023161)
I would love to see Wisconsin have a pro hockey team

Why?

You ever been to Milwaukee?

Hockey has no pulse or influence there

I Am Score* 01-02-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 57023017)
Not viable IMO

Milwaukee has shown very little interest in hockey and the Bradley Center is not a quality arena going forward. Proposed new Arena was roundly shotdown in all circles a few years back. Also have Brewers/Bucks to contend with for attention/corp sponsership

Madison is place were hockey is popular but the city is too small and the Badgers are king there

Not to mention I doubt Wirtz would be happy with idea of a NHL team this close to Chicago
and potentially stealing some Northern Illinois hockey fans

This.

It would be cool to have a team in Wisconsin but I doubt it will happen. Imagine that versus Blackhawks and Red Wings.

Blackhawkswincup 01-02-2013 04:09 PM

Also would like to point out for people who think a team in Milwaukee would be instant rival with Hawks ,, Sure its possible

Or it could end up like Milwaukee/Chicago in baskebtall ,, Bull fans haven't given a damn about Bucks or there fans ever

There is literally no rivarly and that is with over 40 years of chance to build it

saskriders 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

I think it would work in Milwaukee

Big McLargehuge 01-02-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 57022677)
Yeah and there was a time when if you told someone that they would move a Canadian team to the desert they would laugh in your face.

I am not saying they are going to move next year, arena's usually have a 35 year life span. The arena is 15 years old, If they are still treading water in 20 years, they will be moved.

Why talk about something that's not going to happen for 20 years, then?

Florida isn't going anywhere anytime soon. People need to learn to accept that.


Madison is too small for a NHL team (especially because they'd play second fiddle to the Badgers in what is a firm college town) and Milwaukee certainly can't support both a NBA team and a NHL team...though I doubt many people there would balk at trading the Bucks for a NHL team. What works against Wisconsin is that the population is too spread out. Milwaukee is the hub, but it's not exactly a huge city (metro is slightly smaller than Nashville). Considering Milwaukee already has two teams and essentially the Packers (Green Bay is 120 miles north...the Packers aren't still in Green Bay without their proximity to Milwaukee) it's a hard sell to put another in there.

It's possible down the road, but I don't see them in a prime position to get a team in the near future.

ckg927 01-02-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 57022299)
I think the safer bet would be Milwaukee since it has 3x the population.

The other sports should not affect it that much.
How do the Admirals do? There is always the option to move them to Madison and put an NHL team in Milwaukee.

The thing you always here Bettman say is "There needs to be an NHL size arena there before we even discuss it." With the Bradley Center you are already 1 step ahead of place like Seattle and Quebec City.

If they expand the league by two teams, they will still need to move a couple. Phoenix and Florida being the likely candidates.


I think Wisconsin getting a team is a better idea than Las Vegas.

Las Vegas should NEVER be considered as an NHL city. I don't care if you have a Hollywood bigwig soldily backing the effort-as Jerry Bruckheimer was at one point. It'll be good for a few years and then go south fast as people got tired of the losing. Truthfully, LV should be content being in the ECHL. They draw decently and seem to have fun with their promotions(hell, how many teams in the NHL-let alone hockey, period-could get away with "Rapture Day"? For that matter, how about starting a game at 12 midnight?).

ford42 01-02-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandChelems (Post 57022947)
Ya missed my sarcasm dude!

yes i did lol...

ford42 01-02-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 57023583)
Also would like to point out for people who think a team in Milwaukee would be instant rival with Hawks ,, Sure its possible

Or it could end up like Milwaukee/Chicago in baskebtall ,, Bull fans haven't given a damn about Bucks or there fans ever

There is literally no rivarly and that is with over 40 years of chance to build it

I live in Wisconsin, and 2 hrs away from milwaukee and have family in Milwaukee but have never been to nor would i ever want to goto a bucks game. I think hockey would be on higher demand the bball in this particular state. No offense to NBA fans.. I hardly ever see a bucks shirt/coat ect. in Wisconsin. I definitly see more Bulls apparel.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.