HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315059)

Agnostic 01-02-2013 10:22 PM

Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin
 
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/

A 30 team analysis of current salary commitments versus likely cap 2013/14 cap level

Marc the Habs Fan 01-02-2013 10:54 PM

Not sure why he needs to be wished ''good luck'' for this aspect. Seems clear there will be an amnesty buyout and it will solve our Gomez problem.

Agnostic 01-02-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 57038091)
Not sure why he needs to be wished ''good luck'' for this aspect. Seems clear there will be an amnesty buyout and it will solve our Gomez problem.

Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.

Craig71 01-02-2013 11:14 PM

How did we get such a payroll for such a below average team? Gainey,Gauthier,Youppie who caused this?:sarcasm:

Lars The GOAT Eller 01-02-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 57038611)
Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.

There will be teams with cap space interested in players.

The worst thing that can happen is a mini 2010 Hawks off season and start flipping players.

Alexdaman 01-02-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig71 (Post 57039279)
How did we get such a payroll for such a below average team? Gainey,Gauthier,Youppie who caused this?:sarcasm:

All of them are to blame.

but if the league and the PA settles in the middle we're going to be looking at a 63$m or 63.5$m cap, just little room to maneuver.

PricePkPatch 01-02-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexdaman (Post 57039951)
All of them are to blame.

but if the league and the PA settles in the middle we're going to be looking at a 63$m or 63.5$m cap, just little room to maneuver.

There won't be a salary reduction or amnesty?

guest1467 01-03-2013 12:57 AM

Why can't they just trade Gomez? It would only cost a team $4.5 million for one season.

HatTricK09 01-03-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 57042685)
Why can't they just trade Gomez? It would only cost a team $4.5 million for one season.

4.5m per season for a 3rd-4th line C? And the cap hit is still 7m+

I say we buy out Youppie. He's had 0g 0a since he's joined us!

OneSharpMarble 01-03-2013 02:17 AM

*Cue chicken little

Kriss E 01-03-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 57038611)
Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.

Sure, but our biggest player to sign next year will be DD. After him, it's LL, and then it drops to role players. Not exactly impossible.
Buyout Gomez, then try to move Kaberle or Bourque. That should create the necessary room.

WhiskeySeven 01-03-2013 06:16 AM

I'm not worried at all. The cap won't be 60m next season either, I doubt it. Regardless, we gotta give it up to fkn Gainey. Gionta @5, Cammy @6 and Gomez @∞...

crazyd 01-03-2013 07:41 AM

If the mark is indeed $60M, Gomez, Kaberle and Gionta will need to go. It is as simple as that. The wildcard will be Markov if he gets injured - again - and not able to play at the NHL level anymore.

shutehinside 01-03-2013 08:10 AM

If we get the amnesty buyouts out, which has to be part of this CBA, than kiss Gomers $7.37 M off that number.

We'd actually be at $52.83 M and at #8 on that list. If we could get rid of Kaberle we'd be at around 15th on the list.

I'm not too worried, especially that we'll be building with youth which is much cheaper and more cap friendly and we have more expiring contracts in the next couple of years.

Le Tricolore 01-03-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatTricK09 (Post 57042885)
4.5m per season for a 3rd-4th line C? And the cap hit is still 7m+

I say we buy out Youppie. He's had 0g 0a since he's joined us!

Wasn't he our shootout specialist when the last lockout ended? Played on a line with Ryder and Ribeiro, I think...

Coldplay 01-03-2013 08:20 AM

Some teams have a dozen players signed, we have 16. We'll get one or two compliance buyouts. Seriously, we are far from in trouble.

417 01-03-2013 08:22 AM

Marc Bergevin was hired to be the General Manager of this team...part of his functions is dealing with the salary cap and manipulating it.

This is part of his job

Craig71 01-03-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 57056697)
Some teams have a dozen players signed, we have 16. We'll get one or two compliance buyouts. Seriously, we are far from in trouble.

So aside from the obvious Gomez, maybe Gionta will have to go,good player but is he good enough for us to continue paying him such a high salary? I picked Gionta because of the fact that he would be appealing to any number of teams. I could single out Kaberle but seriously who wants him?

Coldplay 01-03-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig71 (Post 57056975)
So aside from the obvious Gomez, maybe Gionta will have to go,good player but is he good enough for us to continue paying him such a high salary? I picked Gionta because of the fact that he would be appealing to any number of teams. I could single out Kaberle but seriously who wants him?

No, only Gomez will *have* to go. Gionta is our captain, our leader, and his salary isn't much more inflated with a cap that is at $60 million, especially if he returns to his production norms.

I actually assume Bourque may be the other one to go. Not because of a high cap=hit, but because of the term.

My two cents.

Le Tricolore 01-03-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 57057023)
No, only Gomez will *have* to go. Gionta is our captain, our leader, and his salary isn't much more inflated with a cap that is at $60 million, especially if he returns to his production norms.

I actually assume Bourque may be the other one to go. Not because of a high cap=hit, but because of the term.

My two cents.

Couldn't agree more. I also don't see a need to get rid of Gomez. I suppose it'd open up a spot for Galchenyuk next season, mind you...

I'd be upset if Gionta was bought out. He's a very useful player who just had a lot of bad luck with injuries last season.

FrankMTL 01-03-2013 08:44 AM

We have 4 big salaries coming off the books in 2014-2015, so next year is their last years of contracts. This should make them easier to trade if need be. Obviously I don't think i'd want to trade Gionta or Markov, but Kaberle could be gone and Gomez will be bought out if we can't find a trading partner. As another poster mentionned, if they buy out Gomez and trade Kaberle, it'll take 11.6 million off.

Scott Gomez- 7.357 million
Brian Gionta- 5 million
Tomas Kaberle- 4.25 million
Andrei Markov- 5.75 million

Miller Time 01-03-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 57056749)
Marc Bergevin was hired to be the General Manager of this team...part of his functions is dealing with the salary cap and manipulating it.

This is part of his job

we can only pray that he understands that better than the two previous GM's we were stuck with.



Looking at that list, us and Tampa & San Jose are the only other teams in the "top 8" not to have been a cup winner/finalist in recent years... SJ's been perennially close, and Tampa at least has two top-10/15 players in the world on the roster that they have to pay.

us? Gomez, Kaberle & Bourque accounting for 15M$ (or ~1/4) of our current payroll...

Bergevin's going to have to be a miracle worker if the cap drops that drastically, even with an amnesty buy-out (b/c on a 60M$ cap, Gionta, Markov & Cole @ 15M$ is problematic as well).

Andy 01-03-2013 09:15 AM

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange
A couple of encouraging details: #NHL has agreed to two compliance buyouts/team in 2013-14; and variance on contracts in 20% range now

Monctonscout 01-03-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 57036687)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/

A 30 team analysis of current salary commitments versus likely cap 2013/14 cap level

If the cap drops though wouldn't there be a rollback on current contracts? That's how they got under the cap last time.

Getting an amnesty buyout for Gomez would fix most of the problem.

Tuggy 01-03-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 57058641)
If the cap drops though wouldn't there be a rollback on current contracts? That's how they got under the cap last time.

Getting an amnesty buyout for Gomez would fix most of the problem.

No rollbacks this time around.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.