HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Dan Boyle to Ottawa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315067)

FrankUllah 01-02-2013 10:53 PM

Dan Boyle to Ottawa

If the cap goes down San Jose is gonna need to shed some salary. Since Cowen is injured, Sens need defense. With Boyle being from Ottawa and all I think he'd be a good fit.

Is an overpayment from Ottawa needed here?

stempniaksen 01-02-2013 10:57 PM

It's a nice idea, especially since he can slide into Gonchar's role once he leaves as well. Only issue is that I don't think Sens management is willing to pay a premium for him now, when they told him a few years back they weren't interested.

If the price would be something like Condra/Regin + Puempel + 2nd I'm sure they would have interest, but something tells me that a contender would give up a heck of a lot more than that for Boyle.

WTFetus 01-02-2013 10:59 PM

Sorry, don't really see a deal to be made here. There isn't much aside from the untouchables that I'd want from Ottawa.
An offer somewhat enticing would be like Smith, Greening+, which of course you wouldn't do since that kills your forward depth.

The Waffler 01-02-2013 11:02 PM

He's pretty much washed up. 3rd round pick at the most.

glenbuis 01-02-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Waffler (Post 57038601)

Nononononono, don't go there. Your gonna have the whole state of California after you:help:

WTFetus 01-02-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenbuis (Post 57038739)
Nononononono, don't go there. Your gonna have the whole state of California after you:help:

Someone doesn't get sarcasm. ;)

Qward 01-02-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Waffler (Post 57038601)

Well played

Pinkfloyd 01-02-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankUllah (Post 57038015)
If the cap goes down San Jose is gonna need to shed some salary. Since Cowen is injured, Sens need defense. With Boyle being from Ottawa and all I think he'd be a good fit.

One, if the cap does go down, it won't until the start of next season. Two, by then, the Sharks will have contracts off the books and won't require to shed that much salary to be compliant. Boyle's not going to be a cap casualty and the only way the Sharks would contemplate dealing him is if they get legitimate value for him. Most teams with his age, cap number, and only one year after are not going to value him to the point that it would entice the Sharks to trade him...most likely.

glenbuis 01-02-2013 11:24 PM

Sarcastically a third. Must be way off. Should easily be worth a first I guess.:sarcasm:

DuckEatinShark 01-02-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankUllah (Post 57038015)

Michalek would get us interested.

TheJuxtaposer 01-03-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark (Post 57040155)
Michalek would get us interested.

:laugh: I would think.

Rumcajs 01-03-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stempniaksen (Post 57038251)
It's a nice idea, especially since he can slide into Gonchar's role once he leaves as well. Only issue is that I don't think Sens management is willing to pay a premium for him now, when they told him a few years back they weren't interested.

If the price would be something like Condra/Regin + Puempel + 2nd I'm sure they would have interest, but something tells me that a contender would give up a heck of a lot more than that for Boyle.

You want us to trade a roster player + a blue chip prospect (at the least a nice prospect) and a 2nd for a guy who will retire fairly soon? Get real.

Benny FTW 01-03-2013 12:38 AM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs6/2363807_o.gif

stempniaksen 01-03-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumcajs (Post 57042209)
You want us to trade a roster player + a blue chip prospect (at the least a nice prospect) and a 2nd for a guy who will retire fairly soon? Get real.

Thought he was 32 for whatever reason. His age certainly makes any deal less likely.

Jets 01-03-2013 01:22 AM

Dan Boyle for Matt Read + Zac Rinaldo

capitalsrock 01-03-2013 02:27 AM

Boyle for Stone?

Lehner 01-03-2013 02:39 AM

Ottawa doesnt need Boyle.

LatvianTwist 01-03-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

In what world is Puempel a blue-chip prospect?

BonkTastic 01-03-2013 04:25 AM

I like Boyle, but I feel that acquiring him isn't the direction the Sens should be going in.

Don't get me wrong: if we could get a bargain on him, I'd be all-in, but I feel as though the kind of team that values Boyle the most would be teams in "win now mode", which isn't exactly where the Sens are at the moment.

By the time we DID get to "win now" mode, Boyle would be approaching super-declining vet status. Just doesn't make sense.

If Ottawa is targeting a defenceman via trade, they need to be looking for guys closer to 30 than 40. Again, that's just the way the team is built at the moment. Doesn't tarnish Boyle by saying Sens fans probably decline most Boyle offers: it's just not the direction we're going.

glenbuis 01-03-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Go way by. Hes the league's premier playoff performer for defenceman. He's worth at least Michalek or the package you said.:sarcasm:

SenateReform 01-03-2013 08:33 AM

As much as I love Dan Boyle he's just not a good fit right now because of his age and the fact that we already have Karlsson and Gonchar playing similar roles.

It Vlasic were available I would offer quite a bit.

San Jose:
Greening + Stone + 3rd

Ottawa
Vlasic

White Goodman 01-03-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenateReform (Post 57056993)
As much as I love Dan Boyle he's just not a good fit right now because of his age and the fact that we already have Karlsson and Gonchar playing similar roles.

It Vlasic were available I would offer quite a bit.

San Jose:
Greening + Stone + 3rd

Ottawa
Vlasic

A bunch of crap for their top defenseman? Sign me up.

WeridAl 01-03-2013 09:15 AM

I thought Ottawa was in the market for more of a gritty stay a home D.

BonkTastic 01-03-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 57058155)
I thought Ottawa was in the market for more of a gritty stay a home D.

We are... but Boyle is an Ottawa native, and this city (and the team's management) loves to bring hometown boys back.

Whenever an Ottawa-area raised player is available, there's always some "will he go home to play?" lip service being paid somewhere.

Descendent* 01-03-2013 09:27 AM

Don't see any reason why the Sharks would trade him.