HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Blame the coach game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315247)

J17 Vs Proclamation 01-03-2013 08:52 AM

Blame the coach game
 
One thing that has become apparent during the World Juniors is how quickly people jump to irrational conclusions that poor performances are exclusively to be pinned on bad coaching.

Hockey is a variable sport. Close parity. Meaning, random one game showdowns can go anyway and if they were played 100 times between the big nations, no team would IMO show a dominating record.

So why this consist and stupid blaming of the coaches every single time your team has a bad 5 minutes, a bad period ... or even, shockingly, loses a game. Of course, fans do also give such irrational rants towards the players ; love them one minute, hate them the next. I guess this is part and parcel of sports ; most fans are too emotionally invested to reason well, to understand that one medicore play does not equate to what that player represents.

With the coaches, though, what do half of you expect? I've seen long winded complaining from all nations about their coaches this year. Canada ... wah wah Spott. US in the group stages .... wah wah Housley. Finland crash out ... wah wah coaches. Russia ... the same. Wah wah coaches. If we had different coach, we would win.

If HFboards opinion was the defining factor for decision making, no coaches would exist, because none would apparently be good enough.

GM17* 01-03-2013 09:00 AM

-MacKinnon on bench
-Insisting the game plan be give the puck to the point-men instead of cycle it down low to the guy standing open in the corner. (and I suppose ignoring the fact that the D can't hold the puck in the zone to save their life)
-Trying to get blood out of a rock with the lack of chemistry amongst the lines
-Not rolling 4 lines for the most part. Acting like this is some 'typical' team where the skill level drops off significantly after 2 lines
-Thinking Strome is a good playmakerand has any defensive prowess whatsoever

Leadership was pretty bad from an outside point of view. Can't say I have intimate knowledge of the lockerroom dynamic but Huberdeau seems like he can't be arsed anymore. RNH asked if he said anything to the team after the loss and he had nothing but 'The coach said a few words about...blah blah'. But they're kids. They're spose to be ****** at that stuff I guess.

Fire Sweeney 01-03-2013 09:02 AM

It's the coach's job to make sure his team is ready. Anyone who thinks Canada or Russia were ready for this tournamanet should switch to another sport.

Mestaruus 01-03-2013 09:57 AM

Finland lost almost all their 1st periods like 0-2 or 0-3. On the 2nd period they usually started playing so do have to blame the coaching for that for the same reason Caballo Blanco above me said "the coach's job to make sure his team is ready". I don't think I've ever seen Finland do that like every single game. Seemed like a very undisciplined team.

FinRuutu 01-03-2013 10:08 AM

If every game is started with a different lineup, you know that your coach isn't doing good.

If it is coach problem, it is coach problem and not an "irrational conclusion".


wah wah.

UsernameWasTaken 01-03-2013 10:10 AM

canadian's were questioning spott from the beginning - even when we beat russia and the us, we still questioned spott - it didn't just start with today's debacle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 57056195)
-MacKinnon on bench
-Insisting the game plan be give the puck to the point-men instead of cycle it down low to the guy standing open in the corner. (and I suppose ignoring the fact that the D can't hold the puck in the zone to save their life)
-Trying to get blood out of a rock with the lack of chemistry amongst the lines
-Not rolling 4 lines for the most part. Acting like this is some 'typical' team where the skill level drops off significantly after 2 lines
-Thinking Strome is a good playmakerand has any defensive prowess whatsoever

Leadership was pretty bad from an outside point of view. Can't say I have intimate knowledge of the lockerroom dynamic but Huberdeau seems like he can't be arsed anymore. RNH asked if he said anything to the team after the loss and he had nothing but 'The coach said a few words about...blah blah'. But they're kids. They're spose to be ****** at that stuff I guess.

- playing murphy like he was our top d
- bringing murphy in the first place

StringerBell 01-03-2013 10:10 AM

I'm not going to question his on ice decisions even if I disagree with them, but I do take issue with this. You have to make sure your players are fired up before the game.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Quote:

Spott didn't offer a fiery pre-game speech bc didn't want to change routine; says that may have been a mistake; ditto for day off on Tuesday

Pitlick* 01-03-2013 10:40 AM

If you want to see how to coach at the WJHC, see Sweden, Ronnberg.

They have a great system in their own zone: great coverage, great puck support, they defend brilliantly as a team.

Swedes get the most out of their ability because of coaching / system. Same as last year.

frag2 01-03-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 57057987)
canadian's were questioning spott from the beginning - even when we beat russia and the us, we still questioned spott - it didn't just start with today's debacle.



- playing murphy like he was our top d
- bringing murphy in the first place

QFT. Ryan Murphy = MA Bergeron. Booming shot and nothing else. Murphy played like chicken **** the entire series yet, because Spott is his HC in the OHL, let's keep playing him even though he can't get a single point

Atomos2 01-03-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 57056195)
-MacKinnon on bench
-Insisting the game plan be give the puck to the point-men instead of cycle it down low to the guy standing open in the corner. (and I suppose ignoring the fact that the D can't hold the puck in the zone to save their life)
-Trying to get blood out of a rock with the lack of chemistry amongst the lines
-Not rolling 4 lines for the most part. Acting like this is some 'typical' team where the skill level drops off significantly after 2 lines
-Thinking Strome is a good playmakerand has any defensive prowess whatsoever

Leadership was pretty bad from an outside point of view. Can't say I have intimate knowledge of the lockerroom dynamic but Huberdeau seems like he can't be arsed anymore. RNH asked if he said anything to the team after the loss and he had nothing but 'The coach said a few words about...blah blah'. But they're kids. They're spose to be ****** at that stuff I guess.

Should probably add [For the final game]:

Murphy and Hamilton pp time: 3 minutes and 40 seconds - overall points in tourney: 2

Rielly and Ouellet pp time: 20 seconds - overall points in the tourney: 7

Truly upsetting for a coach of Team Canada

Suxnet 01-03-2013 10:49 AM

Spott and Varnakov are probably the 2 worst coaches out of the big hockey nations.

Mcnofool6110 01-03-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomos2 (Post 57059757)
Should probably add [For the final game]:

Murphy and Hamilton pp time: 3 minutes and 40 seconds - overall points in tourney: 2

Rielly and Ouellet pp time: 20 seconds - overall points in the tourney: 7

Truly upsetting for a coach of Team Canada

:amazed:

That's ridiculous. Most would agree Rielly and Ouellet were the best pairing on the PP. in fact, might have been in the tourney. If spott kept them together.

This was a team loss. Not faulted primarily on anyone. In that case, I feel it's safe to blame Spott.

Russia?... Blame Sweden.

luongo321 01-03-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 57057995)
I'm not going to question his on ice decisions even if I disagree with them, but I do take issue with this. You have to make sure your players are fired up before the game.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters

haha, Spott is a complete idiot. Most of this team's failures are a product of his decision making. This guy is just a complete pansy. Didn't want to switch routine? Sounds like a very scared coach. No wonder he kept playing subban every game and stuck with murphy over FRANKIE CORRADO. he's scared of change. He had the chance to pick a player that he knew which fits in with his fear. What a complete baby. Keep him as far away from Team canada as possible because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Pick the best players and play them a lot. Not hard.

General Granny* 01-03-2013 10:56 AM

Mckinnon on the 4th line, WTF from the start?

And his obessession over Murphy, and not a single game was given to the backup goalie.

luongo321 01-03-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Granny (Post 57060055)
Mckinnon on the 4th line, WTF from the start?

And his obessession over Murphy, and not a single game was given to the backup goalie.

Spott had disaster written all over him from the start. Sad to say that. He actually ruined this team. Honestly, it's not that hard to pick/coach a loaded canadian roster. He managed to do that. Good for him.

timekeep 01-03-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomos2 (Post 57059757)
Should probably add [For the final game]:

Murphy and Hamilton pp time: 3 minutes and 40 seconds - overall points in tourney: 2

Rielly and Ouellet pp time: 20 seconds - overall points in the tourney: 7

Truly upsetting for a coach of Team Canada

Frustrating to watch these guys make the 2nd unit so much better. Should have been number one from the first game.

Coach was stubborn to make changes. Would have liked to see Rattie play with Nuge too. And MacKinnon should have been tried more.

dmacgreg37 01-03-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 57056195)
-MacKinnon on bench
-Insisting the game plan be give the puck to the point-men instead of cycle it down low to the guy standing open in the corner. (and I suppose ignoring the fact that the D can't hold the puck in the zone to save their life)
-Trying to get blood out of a rock with the lack of chemistry amongst the lines
-Not rolling 4 lines for the most part. Acting like this is some 'typical' team where the skill level drops off significantly after 2 lines
-Thinking Strome is a good playmakerand has any defensive prowess whatsoever

Leadership was pretty bad from an outside point of view. Can't say I have intimate knowledge of the lockerroom dynamic but Huberdeau seems like he can't be arsed anymore. RNH asked if he said anything to the team after the loss and he had nothing but 'The coach said a few words about...blah blah'. But they're kids. They're spose to be ****** at that stuff I guess.


Sadly that was NOT the game plan today. RNH, and other centres, ignored open point men, to flip the puck mindlessly to the centre of the ice on several occasions today, giving it away in the process.

GM17* 01-03-2013 11:13 AM

Ouellet got the shaft too and palyed awesome this tournament. And I thought he was gonna suck.

AUAIOMRN 01-03-2013 11:15 AM

No excuse for not calling a timeout in the first period. A brainless robot could be programmed to do that.

And then waiting until the game was completely out of reach to pull the goalie. Not that it was Subban's fault, but it's the kind of thing that can send a message and it should be done BEFORE it's too late.

So I'm left to wonder what "coaching" this guy actually did. The team played like a bunch of players just thrown together. No system at all. "Just go out and do your thing" seems to be what he told them.

scotian1 01-03-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Granny (Post 57060055)
Mckinnon on the 4th line, WTF from the start?

And his obessession over Murphy, and not a single game was given to the backup goalie.

Granted Spott made several bad decisions in my opinion. Giving Subban the starter's job even though he had the worst camp of all the goalies even the one that was cut, his misuse of MacKinnon and most glaringly his overuse of Ryan Murpphy who looks lost without the puck and when he makes one of his end to end rushes never utilizes his teammates.
But today Canada was outworked, out hustled and outskated for most of the game. Spott was just one of many who didn't bring his A game to this game.

La Flame 01-03-2013 12:07 PM

Spott: Mackinnon on 4th line, never started Binnington

HockeyH3aven 01-03-2013 12:13 PM

He spent the last 40 minutes of the game against the US looking like he'd just lost his puppy. I don't remember seeing him saying a thing to the team when the camera was on him. Certainly not an inspiring presence.

Mr Forever 01-03-2013 12:16 PM

The players need to hold themselves accountable.

Ilyeu 01-03-2013 12:20 PM

I think it's deeper than blaming the coach. I think it's the overall process and ideology that needs to change.

If something doesn't work in life, you change your approach. Don't tell me this is BS, because USA hockey has been changing their approach with program implementations every so often, Russian Hockey has countious efforts to produce winners, and Sweden has been consistently showing it's upper echelon.

Something is not working, and it's NOT the players. It's in the UPPER staff who don't get it.

Why have USA, Russia and Sweden become more successful than they use to be say 4-5 years ago, because they realized they weren't quite up to snuff anymore. Maybe Hockey Canada started resting on their laurels of the past 5 championships. What do we need to have another 7 year gold drought before they realize they're incompetent once again?

This is Hockey Canada, I just answered my own question.

SenzZen 01-03-2013 12:28 PM

-Day off on Tuesday? WTF?! Does he realize how short this tournament is?
-2 right-handed shooting D on PP1, and 2 left-handed shooting D on PP2. Infuriating.
-MacKinnon collecting dust and Drouin playing with everyone but him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.