HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Joe Corvo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=131528)

Word 02-23-2005 08:50 PM

Joe Corvo

Chicago Wolves (AHL) - Signed defenseman Joe Corvo.

LuckyLUC20 02-23-2005 08:53 PM

There goes the Duck killer! :D

King'sPawn 02-23-2005 09:03 PM

Well, this is the perfect time to show off more of Kari Lehtonen's athleticism and ability to steal games in spite of shoddy defense.

maximil 02-23-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Well, this is the perfect time to show off more of Kari Lehtonen's athleticism and ability to steal games in spite of shoddy defense.

:lol:

just what i was thinking!

hope he proves me wrong

Fat Elvis 02-23-2005 11:06 PM

Quote:

KP, you know where funny is. :handclap:

Holly Gunning 02-23-2005 11:12 PM

Quote:

Oh, Chicago's defense can't get any worse, believe me. It's very young and scary.

King'sPawn 02-24-2005 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly Gunning
Oh, Chicago's defense can't get any worse, believe me. It's very young and scary.

Well, I don't think you've seen enough of Corvo to see how he can make the defensive corps worse.

If Chicago's lucky, they'll play against a team who signs a girl, so they can watch Corvo's outstanding physical play!

willie 02-24-2005 02:44 AM

Quote:

Well, I don't think you've seen enough of Corvo to see how he can make the defensive corps worse.

Let's not be silly here. Corvo may not be terrific at the NHL level but this is AHL calibre hockey, a league in which Corvo is a genuine all star. (especially given the emphasis on offensive production to make the all star team)

More still, Corvo actually played pretty good all around hockey for the Kings two seasons ago. Sure, he isn't physical but it's not like he gets manhandled in front of the net or in the corners. It'd be nice to see him hit more but it's simply not his game.

Admittedly, he was a trainweck last year with regards to turnovers, particularly the beginning third of the season. He started to play better for a 20-30 game stretch with a lot less defensive blunders and some solid offensive production (duck killer :yo: ) but then he struggled to finish off the season. (like everybody else on the team)

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off though. A lot of defenseman are late bloomers (and Corvo missed a season or two I believe) and Corvo is still young enough to be apart of the Kings for a while yet. (especially given that Visnovsky is their only other defenseman under 30 who isn't just starting his career) He has a terrific shot, decent overall skills and is a solid skater. He has also shown, albeit fleetingly, the ability to play reliable defensively. If he can put it together, there is no reason he can't be a pretty good third pairing defenseman who can man the PP as well.

Sidenote - I wonder if his choice to play in Chicago instead of Manchester is linked to his incident? Did that happen in Manchester? :dunno: (or maybe it's just because he doesn't want to get heckled after apparently playing horribly in the AHL playoffs a couple years back :))

Word 02-24-2005 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
Sidenote - I wonder if his choice to play in Chicago instead of Manchester is linked to his incident? Did that happen in Manchester? :dunno: (or maybe it's just because he doesn't want to get heckled after apparently playing horribly in the AHL playoffs a couple years back :))

As I recall it happened in Manchester area.

Take it for what it worth. According to a poster elsewhere Corvo was given a chance to sign with Manchester but he choose not to. Same poster mentioned that his wife/girlfriend is due to give birth shortly and that could be the reason. I think he is from the Chicago area.

King Blazer 02-24-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Word
As I recall it happened in Manchester area.

Take it for what it worth. According to a poster elsewhere Corvo was given a chance to sign with Manchester but he choose not to. Same poster mentioned that he wife/girlfriend is due to give birth shortly and that could be the reason. I think he is from the Chicago area.

Monarchs management was questioned about Corvo being a possibility in Manchester after Gilmore went on the record that they were looking to add a veteran d-man to the roster. I believe it was the Monarchs Director of Hockey Operations, Hubie McDonough that said Corvo was approached and opted to stay in the Chicago area to be with his girlfriend/wife...

The incident happened in Boston....

TwzKing 02-24-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

If Chicago's lucky, they'll play against a team who signs a girl, so they can watch Corvo's outstanding physical play!

Thats just bad!..... :lol

maximil 02-24-2005 08:48 PM

Sometimes I forget that people actually read these boards for infomation...

He probably will be a good AHL defeseman even this year with so many excellent prospects playing down. I'm sure the Wolves will be very happy to have him.

You can't ignore the points he's put up in his history:

Joe Corvo Defense
Born Jun 20 1977 -- Oak Park, IL
Height 6.01 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots R
Selected by Los-Angeles Kings round 4 #83 overall 1997 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
1995-96 Western Michigan University NCAA 41 5 25 30 38
1996-97 Western Michigan University NCAA 32 12 21 33 85
1997-98 Western Michigan University NCAA 32 5 12 17 93
1998-99 Springfield Falcons AHL 50 5 15 20 32 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 Hampton-Roads Admirals ECHL 5 0 0 0 15 4 0 1 1 0
2000-01 Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 77 10 23 33 31 4 3 1 4 0
2001-02 Manchester Monarchs AHL 80 13 37 50 30 5 0 5 5 0
2002-03 Manchester Monarchs AHL 26 8 18 26 8 3 0 0 0 0
2002-03 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 50 5 7 12 14 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 72 8 17 25 36 -- -- -- -- --
NHL Totals 122 13 24 37 50

Reaper45 02-24-2005 11:26 PM

Even his NHL stats aren't that bad. Sure he's not great, but he's not atrocious either.

King'sPawn 02-25-2005 02:05 AM

Sure, he puts up good numbers, but in my opinion... he's atrocious. Maybe you saw something different in his play, but this is what I remember...
"Wow, what a powerful shot, but it wasn't on net... Who was that? Oh, Corvo."
"Who the hell would blow such an easy pass during a 5-on-3 powerplay that would allow a breakaway goal? Oh, Corvo."
"Who's that guy who is racing back to catch up to the forward who snuck by him for an easy rebound goal? Corvo again."
"Hey, who was that who scored a goal bouncing his slap shot off the defender's butt? Corvo!"

The guy was atrocious defensively, more so positionally than physically. His powerful shot was more successful when it bounced off Palffy or some other defender. He's a forward in defenseman's clothing.

Reaper45 02-25-2005 04:01 PM

Quote:

Sure, he puts up good numbers, but in my opinion... he's atrocious. Maybe you saw something different in his play, but this is what I remember...
"Wow, what a powerful shot, but it wasn't on net... Who was that? Oh, Corvo."
"Who the hell would blow such an easy pass during a 5-on-3 powerplay that would allow a breakaway goal? Oh, Corvo."
"Who's that guy who is racing back to catch up to the forward who snuck by him for an easy rebound goal? Corvo again."
"Hey, who was that who scored a goal bouncing his slap shot off the defender's butt? Corvo!"

The guy was atrocious defensively, more so positionally than physically. His powerful shot was more successful when it bounced off Palffy or some other defender. He's a forward in defenseman's clothing.

Ha you could substitute Modry's name in there just as easily!

Ziggy Stardust 02-25-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Ha you could substitute Modry's name in there just as easily!

And Delmore... and Sydor... and Tverdovsky... and Berard... etc, etc. I think if the Kings could find the right defenseman to be paired up with Corvo, he'll do fine producing from the blueline. After all, how many pointmen do the Kings have who can put up points? Visnovsky and Dempsey and Corvo, that is it. And those are the only 3 defenders capable of playing the points on the PP. Grebeshkov may need a bit more time. Gleason had a very productive career during his junior-career, but it is obvious his game has changed a bit and he has become more defensively responsible.

Corvo is expendable, but you have to work with what you have and he can be servicable to this club. He can be a liability, but he can also be an asset. Think of it that way.

willie 03-08-2005 10:08 PM

Keeping things updated, he seems to be off to a very good start in Chicago. He has 3 goals and 1 assist in 5 games and I've seen only favourable reviews of his play at this early stage. It's the AHL and it's only been a handful of games but it's still positive to see.