HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315363)

Deen 01-03-2013 12:43 PM

Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau
 
With all the buzz surrounding this kid and considering his unique stature and ability on the ice. I thought it would be a good time to weigh in on what everyone thinks his value and potential are and what your team might be willing to part with to get him in.

Pierce Hawthorne 01-03-2013 12:55 PM

Longshot to make the NHL because of his size still. He's playing against teenagers right now. He's gonna have a lot more difficulty playing against men at the Pros then he is against other teenagers.

He'll have a lot more value to the Flames then any other team right now, he's a very Boom or Bust prospect, wont be much interest in him around the league so Calgary should be better off keeping him and hope he pans out.

Noori 01-03-2013 01:01 PM

Teams have supposedly been quite interested but Feaster has been asking for the moon. I don't see us trading him unless he's part of a package for a number one center or a number one defenseman. And honestly, I want to hang on to him and see if the Flames can properly develop their own assets.

Homesick 01-03-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noori (Post 57067473)
Teams have supposedly been quite interested but Feaster has been asking for the moon. I don't see us trading him unless he's part of a package for a number one center or a number one defenseman. And honestly, I want to hang on to him and see if the Flames can properly develop their own assets.

Have you got any credible link for this supposed interest from mulitiple teams?

Kershaw 01-03-2013 01:11 PM

Would offer 2nd for him to play with Miller.

Rhaego 01-03-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noori (Post 57067473)
Teams have supposedly been quite interested but Feaster has been asking for the moon. I don't see us trading him unless he's part of a package for a number one center or a number one defenseman. And honestly, I want to hang on to him and see if the Flames can properly develop their own assets.

No offense to Gaudreau (who is a stud), but I don't see many teams lining up to trade the number 1 dman with him as the main piece.

blankall 01-03-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsare1 (Post 57067183)
Longshot to make the NHL because of his size still. He's playing against teenagers right now. He's gonna have a lot more difficulty playing against men at the Pros then he is against other teenagers.

He'll have a lot more value to the Flames then any other team right now, he's a very Boom or Bust prospect, wont be much interest in him around the league so Calgary should be better off keeping him and hope he pans out.

The top end of the NCAA is not filled with teenagers. He's being matched up against other top lines and defenders, which will be adult sized competitors. Although I agree, not pros.

Hutz 01-03-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsare1 (Post 57067183)
Longshot to make the NHL because of his size still. He's playing against teenagers right now. He's gonna have a lot more difficulty playing against men at the Pros then he is against other teenagers.

Normally it works the other way: he'll play against teenagers then he'll have a lot more difficulty playing against men at the pros. That tends to be the career trajectory of most decent prospects. Of course he's a longshot if he tries to play in the pros first.

rockinghockey 01-03-2013 01:58 PM

I am sure he has a lot of talent but chances are very slim with his size.

Machinehead 01-03-2013 02:04 PM

I'd like to see how he does in the AHL against big bodies first.

He has the kind of skills that lend themselves to being a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL, so he could be another Danny Briere or Marty St. Louis.

.....but that's easier said than done.

dubey 01-03-2013 02:06 PM

They call him the Canada Slayer

jax00 01-03-2013 02:16 PM

Johnny Hockey is not even close to sounding as good as Johnny Football.

I like Canada Slayer better.

Hutz 01-03-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax00 (Post 57070485)
Johnny Hockey is not even close to sounding as good as Johnny Football.

I like Canada Slayer better.

True. And "Johnny football" doesn't even sound good at all!

#66 01-03-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 57070011)
I'd like to see how he does in the AHL against big bodies first.

He has the kind of skills that lend themselves to being a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL, so he could be another Danny Briere or Marty St. Louis.

.....but that's easier said than done.

I'm from northern NJ and a big JG supporter. That kids been told he's small, slow and not in shape his whole life. Then he just goes out and dominates every level he's played at. He was a downright stud at the Chowder Cup. To be honest I wasn't even sure what he was doing there.

As a Pens fan I would offer up Despres for him.

Rolen 01-03-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesick (Post 57067761)
Have you got any credible link for this supposed interest from mulitiple teams?

Feaster had said he was getting loads of interest in him in one of his interviews if I remember correctly. I'm sure I could find it if I looked hard enough, but I'm too lazy.

tfong 01-03-2013 03:09 PM

Teams would be paying for his potential to reach first line status and the current wjc makes him look even better, I'd wager his value is that of a high value first rounder now asvhe has shown to exceed at all levels now despite his size.

domon 01-03-2013 03:12 PM

Wasn't he about 5'6" a year ago? He's supposedly 5'9" now, so maybe he's still growing. I mean, he looks like he's 12.

Buttonwood 01-03-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blankall (Post 57069327)
The top end of the NCAA is not filled with teenagers. He's being matched up against other top lines and defenders, which will be adult sized competitors. Although I agree, not pros.

Correct, every NCAA team has at least one 'big' center/d man combination to match up against him. Although, I am worried about him in the AHL. If he has marginal linemates/asked to play an unnatural role it could impact his development. Watching him turn it on half-way through this tournament, I'd like to see him stay confident about his game/put in a position to succeed. But I guess if he can't get through that adversity then it wasn't meant to be.

His size is such an unknown I can't see too many teams offering up anything high-end. Unless the team is desperate for talent, and as a Flames fan, I doubt any team is more desperate for said talent than us at the moment.

Money Baer 01-03-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolen (Post 57072381)
Feaster had said he was getting loads of interest in him in one of his interviews if I remember correctly. I'm sure I could find it if I looked hard enough, but I'm too lazy.

I believe it was an interview just before the 2012 draft (reflection on the 2011 in preparation of the 2012 draft).

tfong 01-03-2013 03:16 PM

Trade him for Grimaldi! :-D

club57 01-03-2013 03:19 PM

145 Lbs in the NHL is a serious problem! I don't care what type of talent you are. That is weight for all you Flames fans, I don't care what the program says. FACT

Money Baer 01-03-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by club57 (Post 57072849)
145 Lbs in the NHL is a serious problem! I don't care what type of talent you are. That is weight for all you Flames fans, I don't care what the program says. FACT

Fact? Did you personally weigh him? :shakehead

_____

Of course his weight is an issue, but he has 2 1/2 years left at Boston College to develop/grow. Give the kid a break. He's still a teenager. It's phenomenal what he's doing right now against men in the NCAA, and tearing up the U20's. No one is saying Johnny is making the NHL next season. He won't be rushed.

sureloss 01-03-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesick (Post 57067761)
Have you got any credible link for this supposed interest from mulitiple teams?

http://wap.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...the_real_deal/
Quote:

Feaster says when other NHL teams come talking trade, they mention Gaudreau first and often. Well they can forget it. His next home will be Scotiabank Saddledome when the time is right.

bassassin 01-03-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by club57 (Post 57072849)
145 Lbs in the NHL is a serious problem! I don't care what type of talent you are. That is weight for all you Flames fans, I don't care what the program says. FACT

Agreed, I mean talk about MSL or Briere all you want, they are both a good 30lbs heavier.

Gary83* 01-03-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfong (Post 57072769)
Trade him for Grimaldi! :-D

Ew. Wouldn't even trade him for Grimaldi and a 1st.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.