HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL Lockout Discussion XLIII: A Change Is Gonna Come (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315413)

TMI 01-03-2013 02:33 PM

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIII: A Change Is Gonna Come
 
Continue


SimplySensational 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

Could someone post a twitter list to follow for CBA related stuff, the list I have is for trade deadline stuff.. Therefore not really comprehensive.

Frodo Baggins 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggy7716 (Post 57071619)
As someone mentioned before. I believe none of these reporters know what the hell is going on. I think a lot of their reports are assumptions and they are just throwing **** to a wall and hope it sticks.

my favorite is when reporters brag about being right when a deal isnt reached the day everyone thinks it will be.

last night people were saying that both sides wanted an agreement that night. Chris Botta stated there's no possible way, and then when both sides parted he tried rubbing it in peoples faces on his twitter. It's so stupid

stan the caddy 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patnyrnyg (Post 57071507)
Still have the most restrictive free agency rules among the major sports.

What have the owners actually GIVEN UP in their offers? Last time they got their cap for a younger UFA age. What have the players received for their givebacks? As in, something they didn't have in the past?

I think that's a major fallacy that keeps being repeated. If both sides always gave up equal amounts than the CBA would always ultimately stay the same.

NBA players took a dive in BRR and have 5 year contract limits.

NFL players receive contracts that aren't guaranteed and their rookie contacts are now reduced significantly.

As far as UFA age goes, I tend to agree with you but that's a player vs. player issue. Either way, the league is forking over X amount of the revenue. A restriction on rookies means more to vets, not less to players in general.

SolidSnakeUS 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

I just woke up, what did I miss?

Moe Mantha 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigger77 (Post 57071307)
Bingo. Just not right to award the Stanley Cup after a 48 game season. HUGE asterisk.

So should we put an asterisk next to all the Stanley Cup banners from Original Six teams that won during the 48 game seasons in the 1930's and 40's?

Nope.

I actually think with the compressed schedule, a Stanley cup victory in a shortened season might be MORE of an athletic feat.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3249/stanleycupf.jpg

TMI 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplySensational (Post 57071733)
Could someone post a twitter list to follow for CBA related stuff, the list I have is for trade deadline stuff.. Therefore not really comprehensive.

You can get a lot of twitter accounts from the News thread on the Business of Hockey forum.

Confound 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

A change is gonna come.....yeah.....let's hope Bettman and Fehr get canned ASAP!

Shrimper 01-03-2013 02:49 PM

This could all be over tonight if they actually tried.

Crease 01-03-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins (Post 57071599)
Also, I don't understand why players are so strong against what the owners want for contract length. The owners and management are the ones that sign the players deals and if they feel strongly about the length they want in the CBA then how can the players argue that so much? It doesnt make sense to me. If they players get what they want in contract length and then once the season rolls around and no player gets signed to the length they achieved in the CBA are they going to feel like morons for wasting this time?

The only problem to argue about that makes sense to me would be pension

Long term deals reduce the supply of UFA talent available each off-season, which in turn leads to bidding wars over players that might otherwise not garner a lot of attention in free-agency.

Another reason why the players care so much about contract length is because its an item the NHL wants so badly. Just another chess piece to use during this negotiation process.

Stats01 01-03-2013 02:50 PM

I don't care if the owners haven't given up anything, the players aren't entitled to anything and that is the mindset that they have which is ridiculous. As someone else said, if you don't like what the owners are offering, go to Europe and earn a quarter of what you would make with this so called crappy deal. No one is stopping them, but they continue to moan and complain. Entitlement is driving these players crazy.

Bum 01-03-2013 02:51 PM

I think we're going to be hearing "5 million" a lot in the coming hours, and days..to go along with TSN's continued shots of Bettman on the escalator, Doan walking out of the meeting and joking around and Crosby's smug walk with the jacket over his shoulder.

AngelDuck 01-03-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplySensational (Post 57071733)
Could someone post a twitter list to follow for CBA related stuff, the list I have is for trade deadline stuff.. Therefore not really comprehensive.

There are a bunch, but you should definatley follow Katie Strang, Lebrun, Lavoie, and Chris Johnston (@ReporterChris)

Hennig 01-03-2013 02:53 PM

Kinda scared how a lot more details are being leaked through twitter. Not usually a good.

Ugene Malkin 01-03-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 57071773)
This could all be over tonight if they actually tried.

This could have been done a year ago if they actually cared.;)

Frodo Baggins 01-03-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplySensational (Post 57071733)
Could someone post a twitter list to follow for CBA related stuff, the list I have is for trade deadline stuff.. Therefore not really comprehensive.

This is what I would suggest for CBA news, in no order:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie
https://twitter.com/BroadStBull
https://twitter.com/NYDNRangers
https://twitter.com/nhlupdate
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch
https://twitter.com/RealKyper
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN
https://twitter.com/jonasTSN1050
https://twitter.com/drosennhl
https://twitter.com/adater
https://twitter.com/TGfireandice
https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod
https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

Marc the Habs Fan 01-03-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bum (Post 57071853)
I think we're going to be hearing "5 million" a lot in the coming hours, and days..to go along with TSN's continued shots of Bettman on the escalator, Doan walking out of the meeting and joking around and Crosby's smug walk with the jacket over his shoulder.

Don't forget the Fehr brothers walking into the building.

Deebo 01-03-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stats01 (Post 57071813)
I don't care if the owners haven't given up anything, the players aren't entitled to anything and that is the mindset that they have which is ridiculous. As someone else said, if you don't like what the owners are offering, go to Europe and earn a quarter of what you would make with this so called crappy deal. No one is stopping them, but they continue to moan and complain. Entitlement is driving these players crazy.

Or they can negotiate through their union to retain/gain whatever rights they can.

Why shouldn't they? Because you want to watch NHL hockey?

Richiebottles 01-03-2013 02:55 PM

They are so close to getting a deal done.... If the season jumps ship because of these issues it will be so sad :(

Richiebottles 01-03-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 57071991)
Don't forget the Fehr brothers walking into the building.

And players walking in and out of the revolving doors.

patnyrnyg 01-03-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the caddy (Post 57071743)
I think that's a major fallacy that keeps being repeated. If both sides always gave up equal amounts than the CBA would always ultimately stay the same.

NBA players took a dive in BRR and have 5 year contract limits.

NFL players receive contracts that aren't guaranteed and their rookie contacts are now reduced significantly.

As far as UFA age goes, I tend to agree with you but that's a player vs. player issue. Either way, the league is forking over X amount of the revenue. A restriction on rookies means more to vets, not less to players in general.

Not equal amounts, but each side gives up something. For example, salary cap for the lower UFA age like they did last time. Two completely different things whose value cannot be compared in actual dollars.

AngelDuck 01-03-2013 02:58 PM

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...38594822721537

Quote:

John Shannon‏@JSportsnet

The reality of today in the CBA talks... There is a real chance that there are no meetings today. #NHL#NHLPA

patnyrnyg 01-03-2013 02:58 PM

Right, it is the players causing all the problems:

Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
#NHL had gone back and made changes in #HRR. #NHLPA objected. #NHL withdrew its proposed changes #BecauseItsTheLockout
https://twitter.com/NYDNRangers

Turrican* 01-03-2013 02:59 PM

They shouldn't have objected.

SimplySensational 01-03-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patnyrnyg (Post 57072107)
Right, it is the players causing all the problems:

Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
#NHL had gone back and made changes in #HRR. #NHLPA objected. #NHL withdrew its proposed changes #BecauseItsTheLockout
https://twitter.com/NYDNRangers

They changed and withdrew them vs proposing something bad and then proposing something even worse.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.