HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NBC Sports Network TV Ratings Extremely Low (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315823)

TMC1982 01-04-2013 10:43 AM

NBC Sports Network TV Ratings Extremely Low

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...extremely-low/

Quote:

Exacerbated by the NHL owners’ lockout, television ratings for the NBC Sports Network are perhaps worse than one might have imagined.

Hawkscap 01-04-2013 10:49 AM

When you run hockey 3-4 nights a week, that will happen. With them picking up the EPL and F1, next year we will be reading about the huge spike in ratings.

Wingsfan2965* 01-04-2013 10:50 AM

Which makes the people who think the NHL is in danger of losing their TV contract that much funnier.

nuclear reactor 01-04-2013 10:52 AM

So they're depending on hockey for good ratings...

Lazyking 01-04-2013 11:32 AM

It's not like hockey get's 2 million viewers every night. I mean sure, they get better numbers then all those NBCN shows listed but I'm surprised that the network can still survive.. Hockey is not year round or even every day during the season on the network.

They are in some dire need for some new programming.

damacles1156 01-04-2013 11:46 AM

They are going to pick up Formula One, and Soccer. Ratings should improve next year.

Lazyking 01-04-2013 01:13 PM

If they can get a million or so viewers for F1 on NBC sports network that would be great but it's only one day.

Erik Estrada 01-04-2013 01:32 PM

"Jon Miller, the president of programming for NBC Sports Network, told Chad Finn of The Boston Globe this week: “We never had any indication that this situation with the NHL was going to last until January. It was always our understanding that this was going to be a tweak and a fix.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...h-donald-fehr/

cutchemist42 01-04-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Estrada (Post 57099039)
"Jon Miller, the president of programming for NBC Sports Network, told Chad Finn of The Boston Globe this week: “We never had any indication that this situation with the NHL was going to last until January. It was always our understanding that this was going to be a tweak and a fix.”

I truly wonder how they came to that conclusion. Even us board posters as whole knew this would go on for about 20-30 games missed off the bat.

Xref 01-04-2013 02:16 PM

They should televise these negotiations.....:laugh:

MattyMo35 01-04-2013 02:19 PM

Hockey isn't huge in America, but it still draws more of an audience than "Babe Winkelman's Outdoor Secrets" which is currently airing. When all they have to show are outdoor shows, and football talk shows, the ratings aren't going to be great.

hockeygoon15 01-04-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazyking (Post 57098441)
If they can get a million or so viewers for F1 on NBC sports network that would be great but it's only one day.

F1 has practice and qualifying for the two days leading up to the race, so there are actually three days of F1 coverage. Granted they will not draw as well as the race, but they will still attract a good sized audience.

CrazyJ 01-04-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 57100221)
I truly wonder how they came to that conclusion. Even us board posters as whole knew this would go on for about 20-30 games missed off the bat.

Pure guess here, but I would think the NHL told them that when they were negotiating the contract...

scotchex 01-04-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Since he's president of programming and the story is about the very, very low ratings of the programming he's programmed ... I read that statement as more of a "Please don't fire me, it's not my fault, I swear." He sounds like he's more in job-saving mode than honest opinion mode.

Fugu 01-04-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Because that's what the NHL assured them would happen?

That "tweak and fix" is a characterization given to NBC by whom?

cleaver 01-04-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

"You ****ed up. You trusted us," said Gary Bettman

Confucius 01-04-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMo35 (Post 57100587)
Hockey isn't huge in America, but it still draws more of an audience than "Babe Winkelman's Outdoor Secrets" which is currently airing. When all they have to show are outdoor shows, and football talk shows, the ratings aren't going to be great.

Don't be dissing Babe, I used to watch all the fishing shows. Now they've moved to some fishing channel which is an extra charge so I don't get them anymore.

Blue Regime 01-04-2013 04:48 PM

The problem is they obviously chose hockey as their main programming, which caused all the original VS watchers (hunters, fishers, etc.) to go elsewhere. And now they lost all the hockey watchers, so they essentially have no target audience right now. Also I still don't even get the channel, which is an issue you would think would be fixed by now.

AdmiralsFan24 01-04-2013 05:11 PM

They still have all those hunting and fishing shows and did even when the NHL was playing. The problem is a lot of people don't watch those hunting and fishing shows and with the lockout that's basically all they air other than the Dan Patrick Show (who wants to watch a radio show?) and Poker After Dark which is on late at night.

CHRDANHUTCH 01-04-2013 05:21 PM

remember NBC SN is a part of Comcast who already in most markets already has a CSN.

IU Hawks fan 01-04-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 57106989)
They still have all those hunting and fishing shows and did even when the NHL was playing. The problem is a lot of people don't watch those hunting and fishing shows and with the lockout that's basically all they air other than the Dan Patrick Show (who wants to watch a radio show?) and Poker After Dark which is on late at night.

DP Show rules.

Don't think of it as a radio show. It's a TV show about a radio show that's on TV (that's a direct quote from Patrick :laugh:)

AdmiralsFan24 01-04-2013 07:43 PM

I agree I enjoy the Dan Patrick show but I'm not going to watch it.

Killion 01-04-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 57104353)
"You ****ed up. You trusted us," said Gary Bettman

Where exactly did Gary Bettman say that
in the above linked article? I cant find it.

Dado 01-04-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Now THAT is an interesting statement...

Will be interesting to see how much that "free" year of broadcasting ends up costing the owners.

thom 01-04-2013 08:19 PM

I don't mind f1 racing but what is it with poker tsn shows it I just don't get it.And sportsnet in canada its okay but so political correct its a joke they fired Damian goddard because he's not the most gay friendly person.