HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Longest length of time between NHL appearances? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315945)

blamebettman* 12-03-2007 10:16 PM

Most time between NHL stints?
 
Inspired by the oldest player to make his debut question...which player had the longest time between stints in the national hockey league?

Doctor No 12-03-2007 10:25 PM

I'll start the bidding with Moe Roberts, who last played in 1933-34 with the New York Americans before suiting up on November 25, 1951 in relief of an injured Harry Lumley.

That's eighteen seasons! :amazed:

Hank Chinaski 12-03-2007 11:33 PM

For the post WHA-merger NHL, my vote is going to go to Steve Maltais, who, after appearing in 3 games with the Red Wings in 1993-94, went on a six season hiatus from the NHL before resurfacing with the expansion Blue Jackets in 2000-01. HM to Jeff Serowik, who had a seven season gap (1990-91 with the Leafs until 1998-99 with the Penguins) "marred" by a lone appearance with the Bruins in 1994-95.

WHA Euro 12-03-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbalkint (Post 11466225)
For the post WHA-merger NHL, my vote is going to go to Steve Maltais, who, after appearing in 3 games with the Red Wings in 1993-94, went on a six season hiatus from the NHL before resurfacing with the expansion Blue Jackets in 2000-01. HM to Jeff Serowik, who had a seven season gap (1990-91 with the Leafs until 1998-99 with the Penguins) "marred" by a lone appearance with the Bruins in 1994-95.

Kent Nilsson 7.5 years. 1986-1987 Minnesota, Edmonton and 1995 Edmonton (1994-1995 lockout season). WHA players: Gordie Howe 8 years and Bobby Hull 7 years.

Doctor No 12-04-2007 12:07 AM

Roberto Romano is another modern-day goaltender who went nearly seven full years between appearances.

WHA Euro 12-04-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnep (Post 11466723)
PlayerPOSStintsYears Between Stints
Maurice "Moe" Roberts G1934-5217
Fred "Stoneface" Hucul D1954-6813
Larry "The Rock" Zeidel D1954-6813
Gerry Foley RW1958-6912
Dick Gamble LW1956-669
Ben "Benny" Grant G1934-449
Cliff Barton RW1931-408
Billy "Hard Rock" Dea LW1958-678
Gordie "Mr. Hockey" Howe RW1971-808
Francois Lacombe D1971-808
Dave Michayluk LW1983-928
Jim "Moe" Morrison D1961-708
Chris "Duke" Speyer D1925-348

Gordie Howe played in the NHL in 1979.

pnep 12-04-2007 12:33 AM

1970-71--1979-80 => 1971-80

WHA Euro 12-04-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnep (Post 11467015)
1971-72--1979-80 => 1971-80

OK, but in Howe's case it's 1970-1971. Howe did not play in 1971-1972.

pnep 12-04-2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHA Euro (Post 11467075)
OK, but in Howe's case it's 1970-1971. Howe did not play in 1971-1972.

oops
my bad

Kyle McMahon 12-04-2007 05:24 PM

pnep, I believe your list is missing Steve Bancroft. He played one game for the Blackhawks in 92-93, and didn't play another until 2001-02 with San Jose. I happened by him once flipping through the NHL Guide and Record Book, and immediately recalled his name when I saw this thread, thinking perhaps he held the record.

pnep 12-05-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon (Post 11475066)
pnep, I believe your list is missing Steve Bancroft. He played one game for the Blackhawks in 92-93, and didn't play another until 2001-02 with San Jose. I happened by him once flipping through the NHL Guide and Record Book, and immediately recalled his name when I saw this thread, thinking perhaps he held the record.

yes
my bad

corrected list:


PlayerPOSStintsYears Between Stints
Maurice "Moe" Roberts G1934-5217
Fred "Stoneface" Hucul D1954-6813
Larry "The Rock" Zeidel D1954-6813
Roland Joe Matte D1930-4312
Marcel Pelletier G1951-6311
Dick Cherry D1957-6911
Gerry Foley RW1958-6910
Chuck Hamilton LW1962-7310
Ben "Benny" Grant G1934-449
Jean Marois G1944-549
Gordie Bell G1946-569
Dick Gamble LW1956-669
Dave "Hoss" Amadio D1958-689
Brian "Killer" Kilrea C1958-689
Roger Lafreniere LW1963-739
Bob Champoux G1964-749
Chris "Duke" Speyer D1925-348
Cliff Barton RW1931-408
Billy "Hard Rock" Dea LW1958-678
Gerry Mcnamara G1961-708
Jim "Moe" Morrison D1961-708
Gordie "Mr. Hockey" Howe RW1971-808
Francois Lacombe D1971-808
Dave Michayluk LW1983-928
Steve Bancroft D1993-028

kmad 12-20-2010 02:27 PM

Record for days between NHL games played?
 
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../16599126.html

Quote:

When Jonas Andersson suited up for the Vancouver Canucks on Dec. 8, it marked the forward’s first NHL game in 3,158 days. That’s almost nine years. His previous contest was on April 14, 2002, for the Nashville Predators.
The article issues a challenge...

Quote:

You know it’s a quirky stat when even one of the world’s top sports statistics companies says it would take way too long to figure out the answer.
I think we can do it.

Gordie Howe comes up a bit short, as he played in 1971 and then 1979 - a span of eight years.

Doctor No 12-20-2010 02:32 PM

I think I've figured out who you are on Hockey Summary Project. ;)

What I sent there in response a few minutes ago...

I'll start the bidding with Bob Champoux, who filled in for Terry Sawchuk on March 29, 1964, and didn't reappear in the NHL until 1973-74 with the California Golden Seals (don't have his season debut handy, although it's surely in Sebastien's book).

At minimum, it's more than nine years.

kmad 12-20-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor No (Post 29683334)
I think I've figured out who you are on Hockey Summary Project. ;)

That's where I got it, but I didn't post it. :laugh:

SealsFan 12-20-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor No (Post 29683334)
.

I'll start the bidding with Bob Champoux, who filled in for Terry Sawchuk on March 29, 1964, and didn't reappear in the NHL until 1973-74 with the California Golden Seals (don't have his season debut handy, although it's surely in Sebastien's book).

At minimum, it's more than nine years.

Beat me to it!!:handclap:

reckoning 12-20-2010 02:55 PM

Moe Roberts: Played goalie for a few games with the NY Americans in the 33-34 season, then 17 years later on Nov. 25/1951 as an assistant trainer with Chicago he replaced an injured Harry Lumely for the third period.

For skaters, I think it's Fred Hucul (14 years between appearances).

Doctor No 12-20-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reckoning (Post 29683692)
Moe Roberts: Played goalie for a few games with the NY Americans in the 33-34 season, then 17 years later on Nov. 25/1951 as an assistant trainer with Chicago he replaced an injured Harry Lumely for the third period.

Ah, good find - he's who I was thinking of when I found Champoux.

I knew it was a trainer, but I looked at Lefty Wilson first for some reason. :shakehead

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-20-2010 04:31 PM

I am not sure if he is the answer but Fred Hucul scored for the Blues against the Flyers in the expansion season. His last prior season was 1953-54 for Chicago.

pnep 12-21-2010 12:40 AM

PlayerPOSStintsYears Between Stints
Maurice "Moe" Roberts G1934-5217
Fred "Stoneface" Hucul D1954-6813
Larry "The Rock" Zeidel D1954-6813
Roland Joe Matte D1930-4312
Marcel Pelletier G1951-6311
Dick Cherry D1957-6911
Gerry Foley RW1958-6910
Chuck Hamilton LW1962-7310
Ben "Benny" Grant G1934-449
Jean Marois G1944-549
Gordie Bell G1946-569
Dick Gamble LW1956-669
Dave "Hoss" Amadio D1958-689
Brian "Killer" Kilrea C1958-689
Roger Lafreniere LW1963-739
Bob Champoux G1964-749
Chris "Duke" Speyer D1925-348
Cliff Barton RW1931-408
Billy "Hard Rock" Dea LW1958-678
Gerry Mcnamara G1961-708
Jim "Moe" Morrison D1961-708
Gordie "Mr. Hockey" Howe RW1971-808
Francois Lacombe D1971-808
Dave Michayluk LW1983-928
Steve Bancroft D1993-028

Analyzer* 12-21-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnep (Post 29696575)
PlayerPOSStintsYears Between Stints
Maurice "Moe" Roberts G1934-5217
Fred "Stoneface" Hucul D1954-6813
Larry "The Rock" Zeidel D1954-6813
Roland Joe Matte D1930-4312
Marcel Pelletier G1951-6311
Dick Cherry D1957-6911
Gerry Foley RW1958-6910
Chuck Hamilton LW1962-7310
Ben "Benny" Grant G1934-449
Jean Marois G1944-549
Gordie Bell G1946-569
Dick Gamble LW1956-669
Dave "Hoss" Amadio D1958-689
Brian "Killer" Kilrea C1958-689
Roger Lafreniere LW1963-739
Bob Champoux G1964-749
Chris "Duke" Speyer D1925-348
Cliff Barton RW1931-408
Billy "Hard Rock" Dea LW1958-678
Gerry Mcnamara G1961-708
Jim "Moe" Morrison D1961-708
Gordie "Mr. Hockey" Howe RW1971-808
Francois Lacombe D1971-808
Dave Michayluk LW1983-928
Steve Bancroft D1993-028

Are you like a master statistician, or do you have a site where you get all of the stuff from ?

Ohashi_Jouzu 12-21-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 29696618)
Are you like a master statistician, or do you have a site where you get all of the stuff from ?

He has his own database (I believe), and probably access to the hockey stats project/compendium or whatever it is, and both are crazy, crazy extensive.

(edit) Someone tell me that Larry "The Rock" Zeidel has faced off in a fight against Billy "Hard Rock" Dea somewhere in their career overlap. That, would be awesome.

pnep 12-21-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu (Post 29696833)
He has his own database (I believe),

yep.

nutbar 01-04-2013 04:13 PM

Longest length of time between NHL appearances?
 
What is the longest amount of time someone has gone between appearances in the NHL?

kmad 01-04-2013 04:24 PM

First thought is Gordie Howe who retired in 1971 and then came back after the WHA merger for the 1979/1980 season.

Canadiens1958 01-04-2013 04:25 PM

Fred Hucul
 
Left mid season 1953-54, returned start 1967-68:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...huculfr01.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.