HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Canadiens team model (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1315991)

CanadienShark 01-04-2013 07:01 PM

Canadiens team model

I may be entirely off base. But it seems as though Montreal is basing their team similar to Boston in a couple of ways. Sorry but I'm don't have time to post line ups, but compare types of players that Bergevin has been acquiring and it sort of seems similar if you compare the "amount" of talent they have, as well as acquiring similar types of players. Carey Price for example is our elite goalie, as was Tim Thomas for Boston, Plekanec is like Bergeron (NOT AT ALL in terms of talent, just what they provide for the team). Again, I may be way off base, so be nice. XD

Xamboni 01-04-2013 07:03 PM

Both examples you gave were moves Gainey made, not Bergevin.

TOML 01-04-2013 07:08 PM

Yup, and Bourque is Lucic, Subban is Chara and Pacioretty is a stanchion.

TOML

FlyingKostitsyn 01-04-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienShark (Post 57110373)
I may be entirely off base. But it seems as though Montreal is basing their team similar to Boston in a couple of ways. Sorry but I'm don't have time to post line ups, but compare types of players that Bergevin has been acquiring and it sort of seems similar if you compare the "amount" of talent they have, as well as acquiring similar types of players. Carey Price for example is our elite goalie, as was Tim Thomas for Boston, Plekanec is like Bergeron (NOT AT ALL in terms of talent, just what they provide for the team). Again, I may be way off base, so be nice. XD

Tim Thomas was an AHLer when Price was drafted by the Habs. Patrice Bergeron was drafted by the Bruins the same year Plekanec made the NHL with the Habs. I'm 100% certain the acquisition of those players by the Habs have nothing to do with Boston, historically the Habs are the ones that had strong goaltending comparatively to Boston, besides.

I would say your ''theory'' holds little to no factual ground or you chose your examples poorly :laugh:

And since when is having an elite goaltender or a two way forward an exclusive Bruins trademark strategy? Oh and what player has Bergevin acquired? The only key ones are Galchenyuk, Collberg and other 2012 draftees, none of which would be ''typical Bruins selections'' or whatever that is. Other acquisition such as Prust were depth moves and typical of your average MTL 3rd/4th liner (jack of all trade tough but not extremely intimidating energy forwards. Prust is the new, better, Kostopoulos or Begin and is there to complement Moen)

Four Boilermakers 01-04-2013 07:20 PM

I think Carey Price and Tim Thomas are as different as two goalies can get.

FlyingKostitsyn 01-04-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 57110869)
I think Carey Price and Tim Thomas are as different as two goalies can get.

Thats true as well.

Thomas is a very late boomer, came out of nowere with no hype to become great.

Price is one of the highest goalie picks of the last decade, came to the NHL with quite a resume and is having a big impact very early in his career.

And then theres the very different styles of play - Price is big and agile but very technical where Thomas is small but relies on reflexes and an unorthodox style.

Tusk 01-04-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toml (Post 57110531)
yup, and bourque is lucic, subban is chara and pacioretty is a stanchion.

Toml

hi-yo! :laugh:

CanadienShark 01-04-2013 07:50 PM

You all completely misunderstand. What I mean is, Plekanec fills our need of a great second line checking centre with good offensive skills and leadership skills. Obviously we don't have a Chara, so I suppose Subban would have to fill that, but seeing as he is a potential future Norris candidate, differences of play aren't quite so important. Price is an elite goalie, or very near to one, as Thomas is. In that way, they are similar. You misunderstood my comparisons.

EDIT: In certain ways, it could be a variation on Boston's model; Bergevin's innovation of it.

P.S. Yes, my mistake about the moves that weren't Bergevin's, but my point is more about how he's modelling the team with what he's got and what he's getting.

Four Boilermakers 01-04-2013 07:55 PM

Just because Plekanec is a good second line center and Carey Price is a goalie doesn't mean the Canadiens team is anything like the Bruins.

Ryan Kesler is a good second line center. And the Canucks also have a goalie. I guess they must be following the Bruins model too.

HockeyThoughts 01-04-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOML (Post 57110531)
Yup, and Bourque is Lucic, Subban is Chara and Pacioretty is a stanchion.

TOML

HAHA :handclap:

Xamboni 01-04-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 57111803)
Just because Plekanec is a good second line center and Carey Price is a goalie doesn't mean the Canadiens team is anything like the Bruins.

Ryan Kesler is a good second line center. And the Canucks also have a goalie. I guess they must be following the Bruins model too.

Pretty sure every team has a goalie and a good center. We have 30 Boston Bruins in the league

jmart21 01-04-2013 11:22 PM

A great goalie and good defensive forwards are common things to many teams. I don't see the direct connection between MTL and BOS

MakeTheGoalsLarger 01-04-2013 11:58 PM

ALl those moves were made by Bob Gainey

Carey Price was most likely drafted to be the next Roy. So Montreal followed their own model in this case.

What does Bergeron bring to the team ? 2 way skills ? A Frank Selke trophy ?.... Montreal has a history of having a great 2 way forward on the team.It all started with .....Bob Gainey :P

Pyrophorus 01-05-2013 12:00 AM

Bergevin has gone through Timmins, Dudley and Beregeron in his main building pieces.

Its early yet.

LatvianTwist 01-05-2013 12:04 AM

If anyone's copying Boston, it's St. Louis.

Stephen 01-05-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienShark (Post 57111653)
You all completely misunderstand. What I mean is, Plekanec fills our need of a great second line checking centre with good offensive skills and leadership skills. Obviously we don't have a Chara, so I suppose Subban would have to fill that, but seeing as he is a potential future Norris candidate, differences of play aren't quite so important. Price is an elite goalie, or very near to one, as Thomas is. In that way, they are similar. You misunderstood my comparisons.

EDIT: In certain ways, it could be a variation on Boston's model; Bergevin's innovation of it.

P.S. Yes, my mistake about the moves that weren't Bergevin's, but my point is more about how he's modelling the team with what he's got and what he's getting.

I thought Montreal was patterning themselves after the 80s Oilers? They also favoured centermen, goalies and defensemen...

Hennig 01-05-2013 12:16 AM

Here are all the moves made after May 2nd the day Bergevin was hired.

DATE----------- TRANSACTION
September 19, 2012 Signed C Stefan Chaput, C Olivier Fortier and C Daultan Leveille to one-year, two-way contracts
July 24, 2012 Signed F Alex Galchenyuk to a three-year, entry-level contract.
July 16, 2012 Signed F Blake Geoffrion to a one-year, two-way contract.
July 12, 2012 Signed F Aaron Palushaj to a one-year contract.
July 6, 2012 Signed D Kyle Hagel to one-year AHL contract.
July 5, 2012 Signed D Frederic St-Denis to one-year contract.
July 2, 2012 Signed G Carey Price to a six-year contract.
July 1, 2012 Signed LW Brandon Prust to a four-year contract and D Francis Bouillon, F Colby Armstrong, G Cedrick Desjardins and F Michael Blunden to one-year contracts.
June 29, 2012 Signed F Petteri Nokelainen and D Brendon Nash to one-year contracts. Named Jean-Jacques Daigneault assistant coach.
June 5, 2012 Named Michel Therrien coach.
May 30, 2012 Signed D Nathan Beaulieu to a three-year contract.

Outside of the 2012 draft, signing Michel Therrien as coach, and signing a couple bottom six players Marc Bergevin hasn't changed much.

edit: didn't see your post from above. disregard this.

MessierII 01-05-2013 12:19 AM

I don't see any similarities whatsoever. In fact they're kind of opposites. Boston is a big, tough physical team that relies on 5 on 5 play and Montreal is a small, skill team that relies on special teams.

leeaf83 01-05-2013 12:20 AM

comparing price to thomas? You do realize the habs drafted price before Thomas played a single game in the NHL?