Revised 2014 NHL Draft Top 60
2014 NHL Draft Prospects Top 60
Now that the World Jrs and the Under 17s are over, here is a revised list. It was great to get some looks at some of these players we have heard about for some time.
1. Aaron Ekblad, Barrie Colts, 6-4 213, D, 1996-02-07
Exceptional player continues to grow offensively, plays like 10 yr NHL vet already.
2. William Nylander, Sodertalje U20, 6-0 170, C/RW, 1996-05-01
Michael’s son tearing up the SuperElit with 43 pts in 27 games. Elite hockey player.
3. Sam Reinhart, Kootenay Ice, 6-0 182, C, 1995-11-06
Had a great summer, but struggling this season a bit, great vision, hockey sense.
4. Roland McKeown, Kingston Frontenacs, 6-1 186, D, 1996-01-20
Defenseman does it all- elite skating, skills. Could challenge Ekblad for Top D.
5. Jakub Vrana, Linkoping (Elitserien), 6-0 165, RW/LW, 2/28/96
Already played 5 games in SEL. Played well in WJC for Czech Republic as 16 yr old
6. Nick Ritchie, Peterborough Petes, 6-2 218, LW, 12/5/95
Inconsistent season on bad Petes team, but has all the NHL tools as a Power Forward.
7. Leon Draisatl, Prince Albert Raiders, 6-2 198, C, 10/27/95
German forward dominant with size, puck skills. Needs to work on skating.
8. Jake Virtanen, Calgary Hitmen, 6-1 190, C, 8/17/96
1st Pick has tons of skill, needs to produce in WHL. Had good Under 17 to move up.
9. Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa Generals, 6-2 180, C/LW, 6/20/96
Already playing on top line for Generals. Big, fast forward who is about pt a game in O.
10. Kasper Kapanen, KalPa, 5-10, 165, LW, 7/23/96
Son of Sami has already played 1 SM-Liiga game. Had strong finish to U17s for Finns.
11. Brycen Martin, Swift Current Broncos, 6-1 181, D, 5/9/96
Another solid skating D-Man from the Dub. Had a very strong U18 and showed offense.
12. Blake Clarke, Brampton Battalion, 6-1 190, LW, 1/24/96
Big American has been excellent for Brampton this season. Power forward.
13. Rikhards Bukarts, Riga (MHL), 5-10 185, LW, 12/31/95
Has signed KHL contract. Played well for Latvia in WJC. Small, but has great skills.
14. Nikolay Goldobin, Sarnia Sting, 5-11 165, RW, 1995-10-07
Is tearing up the OHL with Galchenyuk away. Had 4 goals against London.
15. Ivan Barbashev, Moncton Wildcats, 6-0 185, LW, 12/14/95
1st pick in Euro Draft oozes skill, needs big 2nd half to move up board.
16. Oskar Lindblom, Bryans, 6-0 185, Brynas, LW, 8/15/96
Absolutely tore up Under 17s. 8 goals in 6 games led tournament along with 12 pts.
17. Nick Schmaltz, Green Bay Gamblers, 5-11 170, C, 2/23/96
Has struggled a bit this year in USHL. Not putting up Gagner type numbers as expected.
18. Haydn Fleury, Red Deer Rebels, 6-3 204, D, 7/8/96
Strong, skilled Western DMan held his own in Under 17s. Sure fire 1st rounder.
19. Josh Ho Sang, Windsor Spitfires, 5-11 160, RW, 1/22/96
Has excellent skating, puck skills. Needs to grow in other areas of the game.
20. Anton Karlsson, Frolunda J20, 6-0 190, RW/LW, 8/23/96
Played in U-18s for Sweden this summer. Tore up U-17s and had 4 points in final game.
21. Jared McCann, Soo Greyhounds, 6-0 174, C, 5/31/96
2 way centre shows lots of skill, grit. Needs to fill out, but has 13 goals in the O so far.
22. Sam Bennett, Kingston Frontenacs, 6-0 168, LW, 6/20/96
Came away very impressed with his compete level and ability to make plays at U17s.
23. Iliya Zinovyev, Belie Medvedi Chelyabinsk (MHL), 5-10 176, LW, 3/15/96
Tons of skill, but not producing in MHL. Showed all the tools at the U17s.
24. Matt Mistele, Plymouth Whalers, 6-2 183, LW, 10/17/96
Power forward moving up draft boards quickly with scoring consistency in OHL.
25. Anthony De Angelo, Sarnia Sting, 5-11 170, D, 10/25/95
Powerplay quarterback has excellent vision. Needs to fill out frame.
26. Markus Pettersson, Skelleftea (SuperElit), 6-3 157, D, 5/8/96
This year’s top Swedish defenseman has size, skill, but needs to fill out.
27. Brayden Point, Moose Jaw Warriors, 5-9 170, C, 3/12/96
Another small, western pivot has been steady producer all year. Needs to grow, fill out.
28. Sonny Milano, USNTDP Under 17, 5-10 180, C/LW, 5/12/96
Absolutely tore up Under 17s and scored with everyone who was put on his line.
29. Spencer Watson, Kingston Frontenacs, 5-10 157, LW, 1996-04-25
Very slight winger plays bigger than he is. Scoring big for Kingston as a 16 yr old.
30. Alexis Pepin, PEI Rockets, 6-2 196, C, 4/24/96
Big pivot has tons of skill, size. He’s the big centre NHL teams look for.
31. Ryan MacInnis, USNTDP Under 17, 6-3 161, F, 2/14/96
Son of Al is lanky, still filling out. Showed his potential at times in the U17s.
32. Maxim Lazarev, Ak Bars Kazan (MHL), 5-9 155, LW, 1/29/96
Showed tremendous skill, speed at U17s but needs to grow, fill out.
33. Chase De Leo, Portland Winter Hawks, 5-9, 172, C, 10/25/95
Smallish pivot has tons of skill. Needs to grow a couple of inches and fill out.
34. Jack Glover, USNTDP Under-17, 6-2 180, D, 5/17/96
Typical Minnesota kid- big, fast and loves to push the pace. Was strong at the U17s.
35. Adrian Kempe, Modo J20, 6-1 170, C, 9/13/96
Stock had dropped a bit, but bounced back with a goal a game at the Under 17s.
36. Juraj Siska, HC Nitra, 6-2 196, C, 5/17/96
Is on the U20 Team and has played 2 games in the Slovak top league. Could go high.
37. Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings, 5-10 186, C, 1/1/96
23 points in 32 games for Wheat Kings.
38. Julius Bergman, Karlskrona (Allvenskan), 6-1 187, D, 11/7/95
Has played in Allsvenskan all year as a 16/17 year old .
39. Nikita Serebryakov, Saginaw Spirit, 5-10 170, G, 11/1/95
Was dominant in U17s last year. #1 Goalie on a rebuilding Spirit team.
40. Philip Baltisberger, ZSC Lions, 6-0 209, D, 11/13/95
Playing in 2nd WJC and is only 17 years old. Solid D-Man and strong as an ox.
41. Robby Fabbri, Guelph Storm, 5-10 160, C, 1/22/96
Has really come on lately. Not very big, but has excellent skating, puck skills.
42. Josh Wesley, USNTDP Under 17, 6-2 188, D, 4/9/96
Son of Glen has struggled with Under 17s in USHL. Has all the skills, needs to produce.
43. Nikolaj Ehlers, Biel, 5-10 176, F, 2/13/96
Great Dane may come over next year to the CHL. Has great skill, hands.
44. Ivan Nikolishin, CSKA (MHL), 5-8 160, LW, 4/12/96
Andrei’s son needs to grow. Has tons of skill, but size is holding him back.
45. Keegan Iverson, Portland Winter Hawks, 6-0 215, C, 6/20/96
He is as strong as an ox, but is stuck on a deep, talented Portland team.
46. Jake Middleton, Owen Sound Attack, 6-4 194, D, 1/2/96
Is stuck behind a deep, talented Attack blueline. Was strong at U17s.
47. Brandon Prophet, Saginaw Spirit, 6-2 196, D, 6/3/96
Defenseman has turned heads in the OHL with complete game.
48. Kevin Fiala, Malmo J20, 6-0 170, C, 07/22/96
Played for Swiss U18 team this summer and was one of their best players.
49. Justin Paulic, Moose Jaw Warriors, 6-0 179, G, 10/7/95
#1 Goalie on Moose Jaw Warriors team. Will be one of the first goalies in draft.
50. Brandon Robinson, Brampton Battalion, 6-3 200, LW, 10/15/95
Hasn’t produced as expected this year, but has all the tools to go in the 1st round.
51. Eric Cornel, Peterborough Petes, 6-2 173, C, 4/11/96
3rd overall bantam pick has struggled to score on terrible Petes team. Big centre.
52. Brett Hargrave, Sarnia Sting, 6-4 206, RW, 1/16/96
Huge winger starting to adjust. May overtake DeAngelo by the time next season starts.
53. Damian Bourne, Mississauga Steelheads, 6-4 211, LW, 2/11/96
Another massive Ontario winger who has struggled to produce points so far.
54. Emil Johansson, HV-71 J20, 5-11 194, D, 5/6/96
Typical Swedish defenseman-solid, with good hockey sense. Will play at U-17s.
55. Connor Chatham, Omaha Lancers, 6-1 207, F, 10/30/95
Impressed scouts at All-American game in the fall. Big, strong power forward.
56. Jaden Lindo, Owen Sound Attack, 6-1, 194, RW, 1/11/96
Had a greta start to season, then stalled. Solid power forward on deep Attack team.
57. Payton Lee, Vancouver Giants , 6-0 175, G, 6/24/96
#1 Goalie on rebuilding Giants team. Still has an over .900 SV PCT though.
58. Dylan Larkin, USNTDP Under 17, 6-1 172, LW, 7/30/96
Impressive start for 16 year old backstopper. Has NHL size and athletic ability.
59. Nicolas Aube Kubel, Val D’Or Foreurs, 5-11 179, C/LW, 5/10/96
Was Quebec’s best player in the U17s. Part of Val D’Or’s dynamic group of forwards.
60. Josh Jacobs, Indiana Ice, 6-2 194, D, 2/15/96
We’ll give him an adjustment period, but he needs to produce ASAP.
Judging by the U17's and what little OHL I've seen...Prophet and Middleton look like they are too low.
I've seen Haydn Fleury more, but I'm as impressed with the OHL boys as I am with Fleury.
Just out of curiosity, what did you think of Gustaf Franzén and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson in u-17´s? I know they are not eligble until 2015, just interested in what you have to say.
I think Lazarev is better prospect than Zinoviev. Nikolishin too. And Lazarev is bigger, 5-11.
Any other russians close to this top-60?
And what do you think about Svechnikov from 2015 draft?
Nice to see Serebryakov so high but he's too small for a great goalie prospect.
And soon Jake Paterson is back and Nikita will be a backup again.
Czech forward David Pastrnak is top 60 for sure, probably first rounder.
Juraj Siska is late pick at best, no skills.
What I would like to know, I haven't seen any input on this (not sure if I'm blind or what) is how strong is the 2014 draft? What I gather is that the top 3-4 guys should become very good players and it drops off steadily after that.
Strengths of the draft?
Weaknesses of the draft? I see a lot of small forwards
A lot of Marlboro s in that list
Ekblab playing like a 10 year vet? Shooosh! And away your credability flew
I think you have the text for Julius Bergman wrong, he's a defender, and not a "very slight winger" or "scoring big for Kingston as a 16 yr old".
You really need to check your facts with a lot of these players as there are many obvious errors regarding the teams they play for and positions they play. I'm not sure if these are just typos or what but it certainly doesn't help your credibility.
I have heard reports on Serebryakov and saw him recently and he was exceptional. I think he will be one of better goalies in the OHL next season.
Middleton had a good tournament, but hasn't had much of a chance to show the tools that he has on a veteran Owen Sound Team.
I have seen Ekblad play over 10 times the past couple of seasons and he does alot of things you would not see if you did not see him in person. He is always in position and plays PP, SH, and basically half the game for one of the top teams in the CHL.
I think Svechnikov will be a top 10 pick in the 2015 NHL draft when all is said and done. I hope he comes over next season to the CHL.
Zinoviev was ranked #12 by ISS before the tournament, and while he did not dominate, I don't agree that Nikolishin is a better prospect. Lazarev did have an amazing tournament, but playing with Svechnikov also helped.
The Bergman was a typo. I have adjusted it now. Thank you.
Goalie to include
Thatcher Demko G USNTDP 12/8/95 6'4" 190lbs.
Undefeated against NCAA schools this year 5-0-3 including wins against Merrimack and Michigan and ties against Notre Dame, Minnesota and New Hampshire.
Accelerating academics and playing for Boston College next season as a 17 year old freshman.
14-4-3 for Team USA this year. .908% 2.22 GAA
IMO, should be included on your list.
Although it's crazy the size he has already.
I know he didn't get much ice time for the Under 17 team, but Dylan Dipena will likely also be in the top 60. Not sure if you got to see him much as the team only played their top Dmen (i.e. McKeown, Ekblad)?
Schmaltz is producing Gagner like numbers right now.
Chris Wilkie? Hes a top 60 right now.
Great to see four americans in the first round! This should be a pretty strong american draft IMO
Needs Thatcher Demko and Shane Eiserman
Almost positive Matt mistele doesn't play for the u17 NTDP. He's not even american. He is currently in the ohl.
Its early but I'd put Dal Colle a lot lower. I've seen a good dozen Generals games and he hasnt impressed at all. I see him as a soft perimeter player right now.
No Tyson Baillie from the Kelowna Rockets?
Good 2 way center with a 43-14- 19-33 line this year.
He is a definite top 60 talent.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.|
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.