HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   World Junior Site Selection (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1316511)

Bojyea 01-05-2013 06:07 PM

World Junior Site Selection

I was just wondering how the IIHF goes about selecting the site of the world junior championships. Here in eastern PA we're in the midst of getting a brand new arena in Allentown for the Phantoms and we have other very nice rinks in Hershey (Bears) and up in Wilkes-barre(Penguins).

Xokkeu 01-05-2013 06:15 PM

In the US it will be near the Canadian border no matter what.

Not taking arena issues into account I'd say Seattle/Everett. Detroit, Buffalo, Fargo/GrandForks are the main spots. I could even see Burlington although Vermont's arena is probably too small. Boston will an outside chance but still a bit far away.

Bojyea 01-05-2013 06:29 PM

soooo...how does a place like ufa russia get it....that rink looked kinda dumpy from the pics I have seen

Xokkeu 01-05-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojyea (Post 57150349)
soooo...how does a place like ufa russia get it....that rink looked kinda dumpy from the pics I have seen

Because the tournament can't be played in Canada every year and there are no cities in Russia within easy driving distance of Canada.

timekeep 01-05-2013 08:08 PM

How about Colorado for a spot similar to Boston, not close to the Canadian border.

timekeep 01-05-2013 08:10 PM

It might not need to be in Canada as much now, after seeing all the advertising on the rink boards and ice. TSN is paying for the broadcast rights. As long as they keep selling complete tournament packages that include all games and go to individual games, it should be success. I know it would be more successful in Canada though.

Bojyea 01-05-2013 08:26 PM

what about the other world junior championships(ie u17), are they more likely to be played in smaller cities??(i didn't realize before looking it up that Ufa has a population of over 1million....)

timekeep 01-05-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojyea (Post 57155107)
what about the other world junior championships(ie u17), are they more likely to be played in smaller cities??(i didn't realize before looking it up that Ufa has a population of over 1million....)

U17 is a Hockey Canada tournament, not an IIHF responsibility. Thats my understanding anyways.

Xokkeu 01-05-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojyea (Post 57155107)

That's not an IIHF event. That's a Hockey Canada event.

Xokkeu 01-05-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 57154359)
How about Colorado for a spot similar to Boston, not close to the Canadian border.

I don't know why the IIHF would go away from Canada.

You can sell out NHL arenas at NHL ticket prices. We are talking around a $1million per game vs ~$20k per game in Ufa.

timekeep 01-05-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 57155729)
I don't know why the IIHF would go away from Canada.

You can sell out NHL arenas at NHL ticket prices. We are talking around a $1million per game vs ~$20k per game in Ufa.

They would probably like to keep it in Canada for the money, but how fair is it to the Euro nations always have to travel and incur the extra costs. If IIHF has to compensate the other countries then it will take away from the profits. And if Canada was to go another run of Gold medals then there would be the home ice advantage. Don't know if the other countries care if the IIHF makes lots of money off of it or not.

Xokkeu 01-05-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 57155907)
They would probably like to keep it in Canada for the money, but how fair is it to the Euro nations always have to travel and incur the extra costs. If IIHF has to compensate the other countries then it will take away from the profits. And if Canada was to go another run of Gold medals then there would be the home ice advantage. Don't know if the other countries care if the IIHF makes lots of money off of it or not.

I was specifically referring to tournaments hosted in the US. They will host them close to Canada, because Canadians buy more expensive tickets.

timekeep 01-05-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 57156159)
I was specifically referring to tournaments hosted in the US. They will host them close to Canada, because Canadians buy more expensive tickets.

Thats true. I hope that they continue in the US though as we need to grow the sport the most there. USA being successful helps too, unfortunately you can't predict that. I think it would be a success in Colorado and Boston. Has Minneapolis ever held it?

Hanji 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

A federation must bid to host the event. The IIHF votes and awards the event to a federation.

The winning federation then decides the location of the tournament.

For example, the IIHF awarded the 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021 WJC to Hockey Canada. It's up to Hockey Canada to decide a bidding process for host communities.

Xokkeu 01-05-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 57156447)
thats true. I hope that they continue in the us though as we need to grow the sport the most there. Usa being successful helps too, unfortunately you can't predict that. I think it would be a success in colorado and boston. Has minneapolis ever held it?

Boston also hosted in 1996 and it was a disaster attendance wise.

Statsy 01-07-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

My understanding of it is that Hockey Canada pays for the travel costs for the other nations when Canada hosts the tournament.

jekoh 01-07-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

They would probably like to keep it in Canada for the money, but how fair is it to the Euro nations always have to travel and incur the extra costs.

Who is "they"?
As long as there is another bid (which isn't always the case, far from it), the European federations have every opportunity to vote against it being held in Canada.

Statsy 01-07-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekoh (Post 57227751)
Who is "they"?
As long as there is another bid (which isn't always the case, far from it), the European federations have every opportunity to vote against it being held in Canada.

"They" is the IIHF, who clean up big time when Canada hosts a WJC.

jekoh 01-07-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statsy (Post 57227891)
"They" is the IIHF,

The poster made it sound like "the IIHF" and "the European nations" (or federations) were two entirely different groups of people, with the latter having little or no say in the former's decisions.

In the reality it is largely the same people: the European federations, along with the NA federations and others, are the ones that make up "the IIHF" and thus decide where the championships will be held.

The Zetterberg Era 01-07-2013 04:32 AM

I think Detroit has a great chance the next time they role through the US process. Will have a brand new arena in Detroit, tons of other local options as far as a second site. Assuming they don't get rid of Joe Louis arena and I don't know their plans they could have two 18,000 to 20,000 seat arenas. There is also the Compuware center where the OHL Whalers play in the suburbs. Wonder also if they would ever consider doing it with Windsor, although I am sure hockey USA would probably not like that idea.

KRM 01-07-2013 04:54 AM

For 2014 the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation had open biding for the event by individual cities and co-hosting cities. The ruled them out one by one until only Gothenburg and Malmö were left and then Gothenburg pulled their bid.

cska78 01-07-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojyea (Post 57150349)

dumpy? you mean the second rink? clearly better than the back-up rink in Buffalo by 1000 miles

Greeningfan14 01-07-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanji (Post 57156687)
A federation must bid to host the event. The IIHF votes and awards the event to a federation.

The winning federation then decides the location of the tournament.

For example, the IIHF awarded the 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021 WJC to Hockey Canada. It's up to Hockey Canada to decide a bidding process for host communities.

I hope it returns to Ottawa one of those years!

Insomniac99 01-07-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cska78 (Post 57228651)
dumpy? you mean the second rink? clearly better than the back-up rink in Buffalo by 1000 miles

And Buffalo's primary arena was 1000 times better than Ufa's. What's your point?

Mr Writer 01-07-2013 06:11 AM

2015 look for it in Montreal/Quebec City. Imagine the Bell Center and 21,000 screaming fans for the gold medal game. Lets hope Canada is playing in it. It will be Connor McDavid's draft year.