HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   My point of view from watching tonights game... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13170)

Jbcraig1883 09-21-2003 04:16 PM

My point of view from watching tonights game...

I was able to attend tonights game, and I figure I would share my thoughts about what I saw. Keep in mind, these are my opinions, they aren't the way things should be or are, but the way I saw them.

Foy-This kid is ready now in my opinion. Imagine the Muckalt before he got hurt with better positioning and hands. Foy can fly, and gives our PP the middle man we have been lacking. Id rank him above Bradner and Wanvig right now.

Bradner- He looked good. Not as good as Foy but good hands, has a nice shot and looked pretty good for backchecking considering he hasn't played on NA ice yet. He did suckhole a little bit but I think that was where Lemaire wanted him on his line for the breakout. I think once he gets used to the smaller ice and the physicality, then he will be good.

Wanvig-Might have lost weight, but he still can't stay on his skates. He is good once we are in their zone when cycling but he doesn't seem to possess good east west skating skills. Looked good, but Id rate Bradner and Foy over him easily.

Wallin-Hes ready for the show. He hasn't learned the best ways to play in his own end but is responsible, can skate, shoot and he can really pass. He seems stronger too.

Chouinard-He impressed me because hes a defensive guy. I wasn't looking for his offensive skills. Hes like Dowd except bigger. I think he could take over for Dowd or Darby.

Michalek-I like his skating and passing alot. He isn't used to the physicality but hes gonna be a good D. I say let him play first unit down in Houston.

Veilleux-Did not impress me at all. Wanvig, Wallin and Veilleux cycled really well but there wasn't a finisher really. He can skate, shoot and backcheck but he seemed like he was trying to do too much, hence he looked lost sometimes. I hope I was watching him at the bad times because I thought he could be a Laaksonen with more creativity.

Daigle- Good on the powerplay and could've given a chance in year one or two but he reminds me of Krivokrasov or someone who is noticeable one shift, and then you wonder where he went. Hes good with room, like on the powerplay or on a 2-1 but hes scared to get hit and can't get the puck out of our zone. He just gives the guys stick a tap and waits until the D can get it to start a breakout. Id rather see a young guy get the opportunity.

Notes for some Returners

Brown-Didn't look like he knew how to skate. I know we need toughness but he just seemed like a liability out there.

Kuba- Played like he did in playoffs. Was really steady, didn't waste time on the PP and made good decisions.

Bouchard- His stride is noticeable, as is his shot. They are both stronger. He seems more confident and that will help.

Schultz-Does seem bigger, although I am not sure about him being 207 this year as he is now listed. Played well; had a nice hipcheck. Him and Willie really are pretty solid together.

The rest seemed the same to me.

On a side note, with the performance of Foy and Bradner, I am really wondering what Burns can do. If he produced as well as those two(assume he gets signed and sees a preseason game), it would be hard to make a decision. Foy could go down and get more time but he seems ready. Bradner could always go down too but I'd like to see him stay up.

GaborikRules10!!! 09-21-2003 04:25 PM

I was also able to attend the game tonight. Foy looked great, the kid can really skate well. I thought Wanvig looked really good. He was skating real well and hitting. His conditoning and strength looked alot better then last season. Daigle seemed scared to get hit also. When he has time he can make a play, like he did on Branders 2nd goal. Doug R is gonna have some tough decisons to make in the future.

RANGERDIEHARD 09-21-2003 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
I was also able to attend the game tonight. Foy looked great, the kid can really skate well. I thought Wanvig looked really good. He was skating real well and hitting. His conditoning and strength looked alot better then last season. Daigle seemed scared to get hit also. When he has time he can make a play, like he did on Branders 2nd goal. Doug R is gonna have some tough decisons to make in the future.

What happened between Lindros and Brown?

ceber 09-21-2003 04:39 PM

For what it's worth, here are my comments.

I thought Daigle looked good. Worth-a-shot-on-the-team good. The Aeros' top line played well, all three of 'em. Wallin seemed to be the better finesse player, but Veilleux had some solid checking and Wanvig did a good job of going after the puck and creating turnovers. Nice speed from them, as well. Brandner looked like a natural on his breakaway, as if we shouldn't expect less from him. "Oh? The puck to me? Well then, I will score." Daigle made his second goal happen, but it was still a very nice play. I thought Brandner started a little shakey, but seemed to really find a groove as the game went on. I thought the vets looked good. Zholtok, obviously, played well. Park had just a tremendously beautiful move behind the net that lead to a goal... bounced the puck off the back of the net and left whoever that Rangers d-man was standing there with his jock in his hands. I was giggling. Antti was solid, Darby looked like Darby. Personally, I thought Brown looked pretty good. He seemed faster than last year by a fair bit, and more involved with the play. Kuba played very well, I'd say. I've always been a fan of his, but I thought he played a better game. Willie looked strong, Zyuzin looked pretty decent, too. Fiestier than normal. Michalek had a good game, but I didn't really notice him more than on Friday night (but I thought he played pretty well then, too). Foy was wonderful. Moving more than he did on Friday.. getting open, making a strong play on the puck.. just a great game for him.

'Course, I don't think the Rangers really showed up tonight for more than a minute at a time, so it's easier to look good. But still, nice effort by the guys.

If I'm Pascal Dupuis I'm on the phone right now telling Walsh to get a friggin' deal done before I lose my spot. He's going to have to settle, or he won't be playing.

I can't wait to see who skates Tuesday and how they look.

Jbcraig1883 09-21-2003 04:40 PM

Just a scuffle by the Fern, and Brown was pushed, and then he succeeded to push Lindros back and then he gave him a right....thats all I saw

ceber 09-21-2003 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
What happened between Lindros and Brown?

Just looked to me like some typical in front of the net shoving.. little further out, I guess. I believe Brown threw him a cross-check and Lindros basically said "Hey pal, don't try that crap on me" and they looked like they were about to go. Carter came in and grabbed Brown as he got tied up with Lindros and then the refs broke everything up. Didn't really look like an outrageous cross-check to me, but I was at the other end of the arena, too. I'm sure Lindros wasn't in the mood for anything after the way the night had gone.

By the way, I'd pay a lot to have Carter on my team. In my opinion he was head and shoulders above the rest of the Rangers tonight. Lots of energy, really looked good, I thought.

aylib 09-21-2003 04:44 PM

This is a bit wierd.
http://www.wild.com/assets/gallery_image/DSC_0657b.jpg

ceber 09-21-2003 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aylib

Rangers penalty on that play. I believe it was Brown and Daigle. Brown picked off a pass up near our blue line and started streaking down with Daigle (if it was Daigle). Dumped to Daigle along the boards who carried it across the blue line. Brown rushes the net and Daigle (?) fed him a beauty of a pass that he just couldn't get enough on, (good play by the Rangers D, even if it was a penalty.. it was a really nice pass to Brown.. even Brown probably would've scored :)).. Brown ends up going over the goalie (don't think it was dunham at that point) and ends up in the back of the net.

aylib 09-21-2003 04:54 PM

How bad was the NYR defense?

RANGERDIEHARD 09-21-2003 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber
Just looked to me like some typical in front of the net shoving.. little further out, I guess. I believe Brown threw him a cross-check and Lindros basically said "Hey pal, don't try that crap on me" and they looked like they were about to go. Carter came in and grabbed Brown as he got tied up with Lindros and then the refs broke everything up. Didn't really look like an outrageous cross-check to me, but I was at the other end of the arena, too. I'm sure Lindros wasn't in the mood for anything after the way the night had gone.

By the way, I'd pay a lot to have Carter on my team. In my opinion he was head and shoulders above the rest of the Rangers tonight. Lots of energy, really looked good, I thought.

Well at least that's one positive thing.

ceber 09-21-2003 05:05 PM

Quote:

How bad was the NYR defense?

Not good. We were able to set up pretty easily on the power play, and even strength as well. They collapsed pretty readily and didn't have much luck going after the puck in corners or putting pressure on guys on the outside. I don't think there was just one part of the Rangers game that wasn't there tonight, though. Offensively they never really seemed to click, and a lot of their shots were more desperation shots than good scoring chances. They had moments when they looked pretty solid, but they were short-lived. Carter was the guy I noticed who really seemed to always be putting in a good effort. Dunham let in a couple of softies, I thought. I think he could've dropped his stick to stop Zholtok's breakaway goal.. not much zip on that shot at all. If I were the coach I would blame everyone though, and not point fingers. I certainly don't think the score is indicative of the team. I expect the home opener will look a lot different. :)

aylib 09-21-2003 05:09 PM

I know its only been a few games, but if you were to compare Foy to a more known player, who would it be?

vitogor 09-21-2003 05:55 PM

Wow, poor Rags :joker:

The only line that consistently stayed together was Zholtok-Bouchard-Foy. Other lines were switching centers every other shift, the wingers stayed together for the most part: Wanvig-Vellieux, Daigle-Brandner, Laaksonen-Park. The rotating centers were Wallin, Hendrickson, and Chouinard (he mostly played with Park and Antti, but saw some time on other lines as well). On the PP Zyuzin, Zholtok, and Kuba were rotating on the point; Zholtok, Bouchard, Hendrickson, Wallin, Daigle, Brandner, Foy, and Wanvig were taking shifts up front. PP was scary today, the puck control was just insane!

I can sign my name under some of the earlier statements, such as:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocksta18
Daigle- Good on the powerplay and could've given a chance in year one or two but he reminds me of Krivokrasov or someone who is noticeable one shift, and then you wonder where he went. Hes good with room, like on the powerplay or on a 2-1 but hes scared to get hit and can't get the puck out of our zone. He just gives the guys stick a tap and waits until the D can get it to start a breakout. Id rather see a young guy get the opportunity.

He wasn't just good on PP, he was REALLY good. Other than that, the second coming of Krivo. Looked out of place even strenght most of the time. Not our type of player.

Quote:

Brandner looked like a natural on his breakaway, as if we shouldn't expect less from him. "Oh? The puck to me? Well then, I will score." Daigle made his second goal happen, but it was still a very nice play. I thought Brandner started a little shakey, but seemed to really find a groove as the game went on.

Agreed, he made it look so easy! He seemed to be lost at times, his skating is so-so, he looks a little awkward out there, but he really has a killer instinct. He is a finisher, no doubt. Had 3 chances, two of them ended up in the net. Good player.

Quote:

Park had just a tremendously beautiful move behind the net that lead to a goal... bounced the puck off the back of the net and left whoever that Rangers d-man was standing there with his jock in his hands. I was giggling.

That move was a piece of art! I was giggling too :D

Quote:

Antti was solid, Darby looked like Darby. Personally, I thought Brown looked pretty good. He seemed faster than last year by a fair bit, and more involved with the play. Kuba played very well, I'd say.

Agreed.

Foy was great, he really had it going. Gotta give it to him! :handclap:

I was a little dissapointed in Wallin, personally I think he has the talent to do better. I liked Wanvig and Vellieux, they had a nice jump, a lot of energy. Michalek- didn't notice him all that much, he had a pretty quiet game. Chouinard=Darby.

Should be an interesting home opener in a couple of weeks, I'm sure the Rangers won't forget what happened tonight.

vitogor 09-21-2003 06:02 PM

Quote:

I know its only been a few games, but if you were to compare Foy to a more known player, who would it be?

Something like Chris Gratton or Trevor Linden I think.

aylib 09-21-2003 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #16
Something like Chris Gratton or Trevor Linden I think.

We can use that type of player!

GaborikRules10!!! 09-22-2003 01:01 PM

I thought Park and Laaksonen looked great last night. It seemed like there passing was Grade A. It seemed like they were a step above everyone else last night.

surixon 09-22-2003 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
Daigle seemed scared to get hit also.

Thats interesting because at the game in winnipeg he took some heavy hits and he just kept getting up and getting back into the play. He was also very effective on the forecheck when he used his speed. I remember one play where the puck was dumped into the canucks zone and Daigle used his speed and forced the defensemen to cough it up right in the slot, unfortunatly the goalie made a great save ( I think it was Zholtok sp who took the shot.) I will agree that he seems unsure of what to do in the defensive zone.

GaborikRules10!!! 09-22-2003 01:14 PM

When he had some time, Daigle made a nice play. I hope he makes the team. Go Daigle! :)