HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Jordan Leopold (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1317871)

TehDoak 01-07-2013 11:33 AM

Jordan Leopold

With TJ Brennan emerging in the AHL this year (near PPG for the amerks this year and will have to pass through waivers to get re-assigned to the Amerks)

Buffalo has a blueline looking like:

Myers-Sekera
Ehrhoff-Suzler (great chemistry last year)
Regehr

With Weber/Leopold/Pardy/Brennan all fighting for the last spot. I could certainly see Leopold being made available for low pick rather than lose a young d-man on waivers for nothing.

Vankiller Whale 01-07-2013 11:38 AM

Manny Malhotra. Veteran 3C, faceoff ace that can relieve the pressure of the young players in your top-6. No longer a real offensive threat since his eye injury, but still a great locker room leader and mentor.

Malhotra does have a NTC, though, I don't know if there's any reason why he wouldn't waive it.

spiny norman 01-07-2013 11:39 AM

Corrected thread title.

Zip15 01-07-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 57237467)
With TJ Brennan emerging in the AHL this year (near PPG for the amerks this year and will have to pass through waivers to get re-assigned to the Amerks)

Buffalo has a blueline looking like:

Myers-Sekera
Ehrhoff-Suzler (great chemistry last year)
Regehr

With Weber/Leopold/Pardy/Brennan all fighting for the last spot. I could certainly see Leopold being made available for low pick rather than lose a young d-man on waivers for nothing.

Ruff relies on Leopold a lot, and in all three phases. Brennan will require serious zone-start and quality of competition protection, and probably can't be put on the 1st PP unit with Ehrhoff already occupying that unit's "gunner" position.

I think TJB has three routes into the lineup. First, Sulzer is still injured when he returns from the DEL and he gets a look. With that said, if Sulzer is healthy, the default lineup without a preseason will include Sulzer paired with Ehrhoff based on their late-season chemistry. Second, Ruff decides to play seven defensemen, and gives TJB 6-8 minutes of ice at ES, and then some PP work--frankly, if he's going to play Brennan, this would be the preferred route for me, because I'd rather be giving 10 minutes to him than Ellis or McCormick. Finally, he may have to watch from the press box for awhile until they potentially move Leopold and/or Regehr at the trade deadline.

Regarding the cost for Leo, I think you have to look at the Oduya trade as a comparable even though Leo is considerably better, IMO. The Jets traded Oduya to the Blackhawks for a 2nd and a 3rd. Regier should hold out until the trade deadline, when prices are highest, if they're going to trade Leopold.

DJN21 01-07-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 57237647)
Manny Malhotra. Veteran 3C, faceoff ace that can relieve the pressure of the young players in your top-6. No longer a real offensive threat since his eye injury, but still a great locker room leader and mentor.

Malhotra does have a NTC, though, I don't know if there's any reason why he wouldn't waive it.

Ive been lobbying for this deal for months...sign me up...even an injured Manny is a better defensive center than anyone on Buffalos roster.

tsujimoto74 01-07-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

I'd do that deal. The Sabres definitely need a defensive center like Malhotra.

Ho Borvat 01-07-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 57245829)
I'd do that deal. The Sabres definitely need a defensive center like Malhotra.

Manny Malhotra is the best thing to ever happen to Cody Hodgson.

Zman5778 01-07-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

If Manny agrees to waive his NTC, I think I do this deal in a heartbeat.

sfoote 01-07-2013 02:37 PM

What about McNabb? I Think deserves to be in Buffalo.

Ho Borvat 01-07-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Only issue I have is our already weak center depth.

Schroeder is a ?, Keslers out indefinitely, and Lappy isn't super ideal at 3C (although i think he would be serviceable).

Im also think that past year was a write off for Manny (lack of training camp, and a unique role).
2010-2011 was an elite 3C, 2011-2012 was a very strong 4C

I think 2012-2013 is somewhere between those 2 years.

Zman5778 01-07-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfoote (Post 57246089)
What about McNabb? I Think deserves to be in Buffalo.

If you ask anyone following Rochester, McNabb has regressed something fierce this year.

Maybe not getting called up to the big club will light a fire under his butt, but I'm pretty sure he's gotta fight hard to be with Buffalo this year.

Ho Borvat 01-07-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman5778 (Post 57245999)
If Manny agrees to waive his NTC, I think I do this deal in a heartbeat.

Ive wanted Kaleta in a Canucks uni just because I think him paired with Manny would be deadly.

Zman5778 01-07-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kack zassian (Post 57246227)
Ive wanted Kaleta in a Canucks uni just because I think him paired with Manny would be deadly.

Ott/Gerbe-Malhotra-Kaleta

That would be one FUN line to watch..........

Ho Borvat 01-07-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman5778 (Post 57246303)
Ott/Gerbe-Malhotra-Kaleta

That would be one FUN line to watch..........

Perfect! So what do you want for Ott and Kaleta ;)

Mystlyfe 01-07-2013 03:02 PM

I'd be interested in Leopold or Regehr from Washington's perspective, but wouldn't have anything more tempting than Malhotra to offer. If Sekera were on the table on the other hand...

struckbyaparkedcar 01-07-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 57247391)
I'd be interested in Leopold or Regehr from Washington's perspective, but wouldn't have anything more tempting than Malhotra to offer. If Sekera were on the table on the other hand...

Jay Beagle + a 2nd?

For Leopold, not RR.

Mystlyfe 01-07-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 57247717)
Jay Beagle + a 2nd?

For a rental? Meh.

If Leopold's contract was longer, sure. For a few months of him, probably not. If Mattias Sjogren comes into camp on fire and forces his way into the line-up, perhaps. Otherwise, meh.

e; Now that it seems Tom Poti is "pain free" and wants to play, I'd hold off on adding any defensemen until we see if he's able to play at any reasonable level once again.

DJN21 01-07-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kack zassian (Post 57246159)
Only issue I have is our already weak center depth.

Schroeder is a ?, Keslers out indefinitely, and Lappy isn't super ideal at 3C (although i think he would be serviceable).

Im also think that past year was a write off for Manny (lack of training camp, and a unique role).
2010-2011 was an elite 3C, 2011-2012 was a very strong 4C

I think 2012-2013 is somewhere between those 2 years.

Leopold & Luke Adam
for
Malholtra & 2nd or Mallett

Luke Adam gives you temporary center depth while Kesler's out and when kesler returns you guys try converting him into a winger on the best offensive team in the west...ultimately you likely improve your scoring with adam over manny and leopold def helps your defensive scoring...the 2nd would practically be a 3rd..

umbertovanek 01-07-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 57251349)
Leopold & Luke Adam
for
Malholtra & 2nd or Mallett

Luke Adam gives you temporary center depth while Kesler's out and when kesler returns you guys try converting him into a winger on the best offensive team in the west...ultimately you likely improve your scoring with adam over manny and leopold def helps your defensive scoring...the 2nd would practically be a 3rd..

Adam for a 2nd seems like selling him low. People seem to forget he participated in the All Star weekend less than a year ago and looked like a top 6 player just weeks prior to that. Not to mention his AHL success a season before that. Can he bounce back? Who knows. But I still think hanging on to him offers a better probability of ending up with an NHL player than any random 2nd round pick.

Alexander Mallet sounds interesting, though.

DJN21 01-07-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbertovanek (Post 57252639)
Adam for a 2nd seems like selling him low. People seem to forget he participated in the All Star weekend less than a year ago and looked like a top 6 player just weeks prior to that. Not to mention his AHL success a season before that. Can he bounce back? Who knows. But I still think hanging on to him offers a better probability of ending up with an NHL player than any random 2nd round pick.

Alexander Mallet sounds interesting, though.

I live in Rochester and have seen him play prolly 50+ games in person...watching him live...i dont see Rolston or Ruff turning him around...that being said I do think he could turn it around elsewhere but I only see his value while in this organization as plummeting...

Kris Chreider 01-07-2013 05:29 PM

I think we here in Minnsota could get behind Cullen for Leopold.

lakai17 01-07-2013 05:51 PM

center Eric Belanger

umbertovanek 01-07-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 57254497)
I live in Rochester and have seen him play prolly 50+ games in person...watching him live...i dont see Rolston or Ruff turning him around...that being said I do think he could turn it around elsewhere but I only see his value while in this organization as plummeting...

Fair enough. Yet I'd rather look to swap him for a similar potential player who's maybe struggling as well.

ewoksonhoth 01-07-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Chreider (Post 57254839)

Came in to make this proposal. Looking for a decent 3C who can win faceoffs and play the PK, that would be him.

clumping platelets 01-07-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Chreider (Post 57254839)

I like this better than the Malhotra deal