HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NY Post: Conn. Gov Pursuing NHL Franchise for Hartford (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1317973)

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 02:33 PM

NY Post: Conn. Gov Pursuing NHL Franchise for Hartford
 
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...vuxryk8N6iWHOM

Quote:

“Governor Malloy has formed a group to bring an NHL team to Hartford,” a source with direct knowledge of the situation said. Recently, Malloy approached at least one potential buyer, a second source said, and told the suitor the plan is to build a new arena as part of a bigger development that would be in the state, but not necessarily Hartford.

Malloy, in telling local TV last summer that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman had told him it was “unlikely” a team would be relocated to his state, said it would take an investment of roughly $450 million to bring a new arena to life.

A Malloy spokesman told The Post “persons have reached out to him with non-specific proposals” but that was it.

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 02:47 PM

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,1450843.story

Quote:

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Monday he is talking to investors seeking to bring an NHL franchise to Hartford, but he emphasized the return of hockey remains a remote possibility.

"I have spoken to individuals who have expressed a desire to bring a team to Hartford,'' Malloy said during an afternoon press conference.

Malloy said that The New York Post incorrectly reported Sunday that he had formed a group to work on bringing big-time hockey to Connecticut.

"I have not put a committee together,'' Malloy said. ''If you are sincere and you want to meet with us, we will meet with you. But to date, I have had no meetings with anyone about their specific interest.''

cbcwpg 01-07-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo8192 (Post 57242855)

Get in line and take a number.

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 03:13 PM

No need to "get in line" Qc & Seattle will have their teams when the NHL expands to 32 and after that who's left at the table? Once Seattle is gone Hartford would be top dog left in the US. I don't buy the NHL going to 9 teams in Canada (even though it might be the obvious $ choice) because I believe they view 8 as ideal. So what happens when 1/32 teams ultimately goes the way of the Thrashers? Not to many options left. Hartford, Las Vegas, Houston, Kansas City?

RedWingsNow* 01-07-2013 03:15 PM

That just means taxpayer giveaways to greedy owners

Time for owners to wear their bigboypants and do it themselves

Finlandia WOAT 01-07-2013 03:18 PM

Where would they play in Harford?

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 03:18 PM

Hartford will always be a relocation candidate and not an expansion. If they ever do get back in the NHL it'll be because they were a solution to a problem much like Winnipeg was for Atlanta.

Kibb 01-07-2013 03:19 PM

I would love to see the Whale back

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plan The Parade (Post 57245025)
Where would they play in Harford?

That's the hangup. The XL Center is going to be renovated to some extent in the near future, but the real debate is whether to try and generate support for a public-private partnership to build a new arena.

Confucius 01-07-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibb (Post 57245085)
I would love to see the Whale back

Whaling is illegal.

gstommylee 01-07-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo8192 (Post 57244811)
No need to "get in line" Qc & Seattle will have their teams when the NHL expands to 32 and after that who's left at the table? Once Seattle is gone Hartford would be top dog left in the US. I don't buy the NHL going to 9 teams in Canada (even though it might be the obvious $ choice) because I believe they view 8 as ideal. So what happens when 1/32 teams ultimately goes the way of the Thrashers? Not to many options left. Hartford, Las Vegas, Houston, Kansas City?

That's IF the NHL expands.

DeathToAllButMetal 01-07-2013 03:39 PM

The NHL just sets itself on fire for kicks with this incredibly damaging lockout, yet there are still people here who think the league is determined to expand to 32 teams?! Come on, guys. Really? The NHL will be a good few years getting over this lockout. Maybe someone will propose making up for lost revenue with expansion cash, but the majority will shoot that idea down as the biggest reason the NHL got into trouble in the first place.

Hartford is never going to happen, either. As relocation or expansion, the market just doesn't work.

Gustave 01-07-2013 03:48 PM

NHL comin' in hot!

Say what you will, but businessman want a piece of it. Seattle, Québec, Toronto - Markham, now Hartford and Hamilton since forever.

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal (Post 57246171)
The NHL just sets itself on fire for kicks with this incredibly damaging lockout, yet there are still people here who think the league is determined to expand to 32 teams?! Come on, guys. Really? The NHL will be a good few years getting over this lockout. Maybe someone will propose making up for lost revenue with expansion cash, but the majority will shoot that idea down as the biggest reason the NHL got into trouble in the first place.

They didn't get in trouble because they expanded, they got in trouble because they expanded to risky, unfamiliar markets and prayed they worked out. The 31st & 32nd teams would be one of Seattle, Quebec City, Hamilton, Markham not exactly markets you need to be concerned about with fan support, so yes I do believe the NHL's plan is still to expand. They're not going to just abandon their future plans because of a 3 month lockout. And if they went ahead with the lockout anyways they surely don't care whether or not it was damaging and they're going to go about their business as usual.

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 03:51 PM

And lest not forget the only true way to create a fair league if the league does re-align is to have each conference host 8 teams. 30 teams doesn't workout as well as 32.

AtlantaWhaler 01-07-2013 04:00 PM

I truly hope I'm dead wrong, but not going to happen any time soon.

Oh...and there's this. The article is false:

Quote:

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Monday that he is open to bringing an NHL hockey franchise back to Hartford, but added that the proposals have been "non-specific'' so far.

"I have spoken to individuals who have expressed a desire to bring a team to Hartford,'' Malloy said.

But Malloy also told reporters Monday that a story by The New York Post was incorrect that he had formed a group to work on the proposal to bring big-time hockey back to the region.


"I have not put a committee together. We said that to that reporter that we had not put a committee together,'' Malloy said. "No one has to call me. My response is the following: If you are sincere and you want to meet with us, we will meet with you. But to date, I have had no meetings with anyone about their specific interest.''
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,1450843.story

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 04:03 PM

That's why I posted the courant article. It's still pretty significant for the fact that a group had approached Malloy recently about bringing back the Whalers.

cheswick 01-07-2013 04:05 PM

Great news. I know the Rangers hate all the travel they have to do. Another team close by would help.

tony d 01-07-2013 04:06 PM

Would like for Hartford to get a team back but I think the city is in the 2nd tier of cities were the NHL will expand to.

boredmale 01-07-2013 04:08 PM

I am all for it if it means the return of....


McRib 01-07-2013 04:08 PM

The NHL will be more successful when they get back to traditional markets. Hartford is one of them. Quebec City is another. However, potential revenue in larger markets that aren't traditional will generally always take precedence over smaller, traditional markets where the revenue potential is limited. It's unfortunate, because the potential of the non-traditional markets hasn't been realized at all. Sometimes a guaranteed smaller, positive revenue stream is better than potential.

Atlanta has a far larger revenue potential than Winnipeg, that can't be argued. But Winnipeg has a passion for the game that Atlanta couldn't come close to.

nickp91 01-07-2013 04:11 PM

A new arena would cost close to $500 million

cheswick 01-07-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickp91 (Post 57247765)
A new arena would cost close to $500 million

Have you never seen "Who's the Boss?".

Connecticut is where the rich people who work in NY live. They can afford it.


http://image.xyface.com/thumbnail/12...boss-22164.jpg

Eh oh. Oh Eh.

proper animal 01-07-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 57247975)
Have you never seen "Who's the Boss?".

Connecticut is where the rich people who work in NY live. They can afford it.


http://image.xyface.com/thumbnail/12...boss-22164.jpg

Eh oh. Oh Eh.

I love the reference, and I know your post was tongue-in-cheek, but the income disparity in CT is pretty staggering. You're right about the wealthy NYC bedroom communities, but Hartford is far from there and is one of the poorer cities in the country. Even when the Whalers were still around, most of the people who live in southwest CT were Rangers fans. I don't know much about the business of hockey, but if it were my money, I wouldn't put a team in Hartford again.

NHL Hartford 01-07-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobs (Post 57247631)
The NHL will be more successful when they get back to traditional markets. Hartford is one of them. Quebec City is another. However, potential revenue in larger markets that aren't traditional will generally always take precedence over smaller, traditional markets where the revenue potential is limited. It's unfortunate, because the potential of the non-traditional markets hasn't been realized at all. Sometimes a guaranteed smaller, positive revenue stream is better than potential.

Atlanta has a far larger revenue potential than Winnipeg, that can't be argued. But Winnipeg has a passion for the game that Atlanta couldn't come close to.

Well it also helps that Connecticut is the 2nd richest state in the United States and largest tv market to not have a pro team. There's defiantly a lot of untapped potential for revenue in Hartford especially with the absence of another major league team.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.