HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The sweater or the Player? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=131805)

DeadPhish 02-25-2005 06:52 PM

The sweater or the Player?

I saw an article on this a while back, and it made me wonder what the general Concencus was. Say next year, the NHL dosent come back who would you support? The Team (with different personel) or The Players (In a completely different league)?

Personally, I would support the sweater, because I feel the NHLPA is more responsible for the lockout than the Owners.

Opinions?

Rhett4 02-25-2005 08:56 PM

I support the team and organization, however, I like the players we have. If you put the Toronto Maple Leaf roster in Buffalo, I probably wouldn't care so much about the sweater. For me...it's a little bit about both.

westcoastsabre 02-25-2005 09:17 PM

sweater, Sabres fan for life, don't care who wears it. Even support the guys who donned when I didn't like them for other teams such as Yvon Lambert, Mikko Makela, Andre Savard and Grant Fuhr. Bring on the replacement players!

Jamie Walker 02-25-2005 09:37 PM

It's definately the sweater. The players we have in our system would give us a dynasty. I would hate to lose all the great prospects that we have. Like Clarke MacArthur, (i heard we got rid of L.P. Martin. (bad move)), Dylan Hunter, Branislav Fabry, ... etc.

I say lets start the season next year with the people who are willing to make a (may I say) very comfortable living.

I hope the Sabres can keep our prospects (future) throughout this mess, and as for those who think they're indespensible....

GO TO EUROE (your rope) and do as you will.

TVanek26* 02-26-2005 12:01 AM

I'm a fan of the Sabres...players come and go,your team will always be there for you though.

djhn579 02-26-2005 07:21 AM

Players come and go, I'm a Sabres fan regardless of who is on the team

signalIInoise 02-26-2005 09:08 AM

Bits of both.

I will say this: I will continue to root for Curtis Brown wherever he goes -- he was always my kind of player.

The logo on the sweater helps me get invested in the player, but when they get traded like Curtis did, I have a little trouble just dropping them like a dirty shirt.

That being said, I had no problem dropping any loyalty to Dom Hasek or Mike Peca.

mazmin 02-26-2005 11:03 AM

For heavens sake! The sweater!!

Players are replacable, despensable... there's always another generation to look forward too. If you lose perspective you could end up without "the sweater" at all. RIP Nords, Whalers, Jets etc.

signalIInoise 02-26-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazmin
Players are replacable, despensable...

And this is one of the reasons that the NHL continues to have practically zero cache with your average sports fan. They *need* to get you invested more in the people who wear the sweater, and have done nothing to project a human face on the league.

There are no Brett Favres, Michael Jordans or Freddy Smoots in the NHL -- and this is the leagues fault for not marketing the personalities in the game. The closest we have is probably Jeremy Roenick, and being a dick can only get you so far. Jarome Iginla might be a good start, but he's just too damned wholesome.

Human interest sells, and is carried by humans, not sweaters. If all that matters is really the sweater, than how can you explain the fans attachment to Rob Ray? I love the Sabres, and have since I was a kid -- but in all honesty, they have the personality of wet oatmeal. Rob came pretty close to having a personality (not terribly evident in his broadcast days, I'll admit), and he was adored by Sabre fans.

Hobey Baker 02-26-2005 06:54 PM

In light of recent events - the sweater. No doubt about it.

reckoning 02-27-2005 06:57 AM

Here`s the thing; it`s the NHL, therefore it`s supposed to be the best players in the world. Yes, we all have our favourite teams that we support throughout the years while the players come and go, but there`s no way i`d watch a bunch of mid-40s,out of shape, alcoholic, unemployed replacement players. Simply putting on a NHL jersey doesn`t make someone a NHL player. If the owners want to give us AHL quality players then they should give us AHL ticket prices.

Being a fan of one team doesn`t control my respect or support of a certain player. I admired Mike Ramsey, Mike Peca and Phil Housely just as much after they left Buffalo as i did when they were here. On the other hand,even if he stays in Buffalo, i`ll don`t think i could ever cheer for Henrik Tallinder.

DeadPhish 02-27-2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB
In light of recent events - the sweater. No doubt about it.

Nice avatar. :handclap:

Hobey Baker 02-27-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish
Nice avatar. :handclap:

Yes indeed. One thing I can say about the work stoppage: "What a long, strange trip it's been".....

DeadPhish 02-28-2005 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB
Yes indeed. One thing I can say about the work stoppage: "What a long, strange trip it's been".....

And for Goodenow. .. "Driving that (NHLPA) train, high on concaine.."

joechip 03-01-2005 03:43 PM

Definately the sweater, no matter what the colors are.

Ta,

Lapps 03-01-2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastsabre
sweater, Sabres fan for life, don't care who wears it. Even support the guys who donned when I didn't like them for other teams such as Yvon Lambert, Mikko Makela, Andre Savard and Grant Fuhr. Bring on the replacement players!

I'd just like to say how awesome it is that there is a Mikko Makela reference.

Also, I think it's mostly the sweater fans follow, but then we pick and choose a few guys to support after they've been traded (i.e. Stu Barnes for me). However, fans stay true to the Team over the Player because it's usually only 1 or 2 players that leave and come at a time, and a majority of the guys we love stay. But if the NHL were to radically change and a Buffalo team had a whole new roster, it would be a much different feeling. There'd be no one we watched grow up or develop as players, or come in and energize the players we loved. It would be very impersonal -- almost like when you move to a new city and try and support the "new" home team: it takes a while to get into them.

signalIInoise 03-01-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapps
Also, I think it's mostly the sweater fans follow, but then we pick and choose a few guys to support after they've been traded (i.e. Stu Barnes for me). However, fans stay true to the Team over the Player because it's usually only 1 or 2 players that leave and come at a time, and a majority of the guys we love stay. But if the NHL were to radically change and a Buffalo team had a whole new roster, it would be a much different feeling. There'd be no one we watched grow up or develop as players, or come in and energize the players we loved. It would be very impersonal -- almost like when you move to a new city and try and support the "new" home team: it takes a while to get into them.

Well put. You can't help but get a little invested in the players you've cheered for. If it was just a jersey, a number and a warm body to fill it, would it have felt so good to get Danny Briere for Chris Gratton?

At the same time, what team hasn't been improved by trading Gratton?

Asinathe 03-01-2005 10:28 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure who I'd support. It's all confusing and I don't know the facts fully either side to make a fair judgement that at least I'd be secure in backing.