HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: SJ needs a 3C (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1318393)

WheelSnipeCelly 01-08-2013 12:34 AM

SJ needs a 3C

If you ask me, the Sharks' biggest need is a solid third line center. Doug Wilson tried solving this with Handzus, but he's proved to be ineffective.

I'd like someone with a lot of energy, responsible defensively, that can win face offs, play PK, and can forecheck like a beast. No frills nescecary, but skating/offensive ability is a definite plus.

The center piece that I'm offering is Douglas Murray. Murray had a down season last year (as did the sharks collectively), but he suffered from a broken Adams apple (you read that correctly).

He is similar to the forward I'm asking for, no frills, stay at home defensive D. Although he always comes up with big hits, and sometimes bulldozes to the net with a power move every now and then. Great steady guy for your second pairing. On top of being a beast, he's also the co-inventor of a 3-headed foot-powered turbo keg tap.

Who's got a deal?

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 12:54 AM

I think we would need to offer more than Murray to get the 3C you describe.

Hennig 01-08-2013 12:56 AM

Connolly/Steckel/Lombardi

take your pick.

Billy Mays Here 01-08-2013 12:57 AM

I'd love to see the Wild move Cullen for a d-man like Braun but I don't think we'd force Cullen out of here when he's probably wanting to retire in Minnesota after this season, not to mention he has a partial NTC.

WheelSnipeCelly 01-08-2013 12:57 AM

Sure. Perhapse I failed toention it'd be decidedly Murray+.

Anyone you'd have an eye on as a Sharks fan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57275231)
I'd love to see the Wild move Cullen for a d-man like Braun but I don't think we'd force Cullen out of here when he's probably wanting to retire in Minnesota after this season, not to mention he has a partial NTC.

Would you entertain something involving Demers for Clutterbuck?

rumrokh 01-08-2013 12:59 AM

Sign Langkow?

If neither Handzus, nor Moore did the trick, it sounds like you're looking for the rare offensively-minded third-liner or a sparkplug who is essentially a fourth line player, but can play more minutes. The first kind is simply not available for Murray. The second kind is going to continue to be hit-or-miss like Handzus and Moore. Any given guy is going to lag in offense, defense, faceoffs, physicality, etc. You aren't going to pry the whole package loose for one year of a defenseman who has been given less responsibilities for two straight years.

Your top three faceoff men are Thornton, Couture, and Pavelski. So, why not build your top three lines around them? Wingers are easier to come by.

WheelSnipeCelly 01-08-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennig (Post 57275183)
Connolly/Steckel/Lombardi

take your pick.

I'd do Steckel happily. Let's get the paperwork together.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumrokh (Post 57275293)
Sign Langkow?

If neither Handzus, nor Moore did the trick, it sounds like you're looking for the rare offensively-minded third-liner or a sparkplug who is essentially a fourth line player, but can play more minutes. The first kind is simply not available for Murray. The second kind is going to continue to be hit-or-miss like Handzus and Moore. Any given guy is going to lag in offense, defense, faceoffs, physicality, etc. You aren't going to pry the whole package loose for one year of a defenseman who has been given less responsibilities for two straight years.

Your top three faceoff men are Thornton, Couture, and Pavelski. So, why not build your top three lines around them? Wingers are easier to come by.

It's not the way Tmac works. I would rather do the three scoring lines because we have no scoring depth. Two years ago when we had 7 top 6 fowards we got to the conference finals. We rolled 3 scoring lines that year and it worked out well. Now Tmac doesn't want to do that.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourGirlMyDangles (Post 57275443)
I'd do Steckel happily. Let's get the paperwork together.

Steckel is a 4th liner. He isn't any better than Handzus or Moore as the the 3C.

rumrokh 01-08-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 57275505)
It's not the way Tmac works. I would rather do the three scoring lines because we have no scoring depth. Two years ago when we had 7 top 6 fowards we got to the conference finals. We rolled 3 scoring lines that year and it worked out well. Now Tmac doesn't want to do that.

Bummer. Then get rid of him, rebuild, or prepare to get rolled by the Kings or Blues, again.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumrokh (Post 57275543)
Bummer. Then get rid of him, rebuild, or prepare to get rolled by the Kings or Blues, again.

Yeah, I'm not really a Tmac fan. His strategies are bad and outdated.:help::cry:

thrillermiller89 01-08-2013 01:13 AM

Brodziak for Murray?

Maybe? Maybe not?

WheelSnipeCelly 01-08-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 57275535)
Steckel is a 4th liner. He isn't any better than Handzus or Moore as the the 3C.

Dog, anybody's better than Handzus. And I don't think Moore is coming back.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 (Post 57275711)
Brodziak for Murray?

Maybe? Maybe not?

You will get chewed up by Wild fans for suggesting that. Murray really doesn't have that much value. He is UFA this year and is on the decline. We are better off trading Murray for Clarke MacArthur and having a 3rd line of Mac Pavs Wingels.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourGirlMyDangles (Post 57275769)
Dog, anybody's better than Handzus. And I don't think Moore is coming back.

What does Steckel do that is better than what Handzus does know?

xX Hot Fuss 01-08-2013 01:37 AM

Pavelski fits the OP pretty well...

:hawks offer Kruger + Stalberg + Frolik (dump) for Clowe

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 57276307)
Pavelski fits the OP pretty well...

:hawks offer Kruger + Stalberg + Frolik (dump) for Clowe

That would be a deal that interests me. We get some nice depth players that we desperately need.

Billy Mays Here 01-08-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourGirlMyDangles (Post 57275233)

Yes, but most Shark fans seem to agree that they'd rather give up Braun than Demers. I'd still be up for a Braun + for Clutter trade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 (Post 57275711)
Brodziak for Murray?

Maybe? Maybe not?

Not a snowball's chance in hell. No interest whatsoever in Murray or in giving up Brodziak, who we just signed to an extension a few months back.

thestonedkoala 01-08-2013 01:42 AM

Take Cullen. We'll confuse him!

magic school bus 01-08-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourGirlMyDangles (Post 57275233)

As a Sharks fan, I'm not interested in trading Demers for Clutterbuck.

7even 01-08-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 57275903)
What does Steckel do that is better than what Handzus does know?

Faceoffs? :dunno: But yeah I wouldn't recommend a Murray for Steckel swap. Steckel could be had for 4th at this point. No need to be throwing away a top 4 D. Although I'd gladly do Steckel+ with the (+ being something decent) for Murray -- he's exactly what Toronto needs.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57276385)
Yes, but most Shark fans seem to agree that they'd rather give up Braun than Demers. I'd still be up for a Braun + for Clutter trade.

I'd do a deal around Braun for Clutterbuck.

Hatrick Marleau 01-08-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7even (Post 57276471)
Faceoffs? :dunno: But yeah I wouldn't recommend a Murray for Steckel swap. Steckel could be had for 4th at this point. No need to be throwing away a top 4 D. Although I'd gladly do Steckel+ with the (+ being something decent) for Murray -- he's exactly what Toronto needs.

You can have Murray for MacArthur.

Sharppi 01-08-2013 01:48 AM

Cullen would be great fit for you. In return I'd love Demers or Braun.

Edit: Murray might work too.

magic school bus 01-08-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharppi (Post 57276533)
Cullen would be great fit for you. In return I'd love Demers or Braun.

Edit: Murray might work too.

I would do Murray for Cullen.