HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Car & cgy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1318471)

Carolinas Identity 01-08-2013 06:08 AM

Car & cgy
 
The Hurricanes have the foundation of what could be a fairly dominant team (even without Ruutu) in place and should be able to challenge for a top 3 spot in the East.

The Flames are probably looking to get younger and faster, while the Canes are looking for a legit playoff push.

My Proposal is this

:flames

Jiri Tlusty
Prospect (Dalpe -or- Boychuk -or- Murphy)
2013 1st

:canes

Jarome Iginla

Flames shave 5m+ from their payroll, get a 24 year old top 6 winger with 20-25 goal production, a solid prospect and a 1st, for an aging, but still productive, 30 goal scorer who's looking to win a cup before he retires.

I realise Iginla's "celebrity" might hinder a trade, but the Flames aren't really going anywhere, and I think this is a good "hockey trade"

I Hate Chris Butler 01-08-2013 08:23 AM

I'd do that. I love Iggy, but that's way better than half the proposals I've seen here the last few years. Make the prospect Murphy, and the Flames could draft a centre.

Would Canes fan do it? That's what I'm wondering. Iggy is a UFA after this season.

palindrom 01-08-2013 08:24 AM

I could see this as a deadline deal, if calgary is out of the playoff, but not now.

Trae 01-08-2013 10:44 AM

Calgary has a better team than Carolina, they are the ones shooting for a playoff spot despite what the collective HF thinks. If Calgary has a slow start and is failing by deadline, then maybe.

Mysterio 01-08-2013 11:03 AM

murphy, then we maximize our prospects, Canes could be anywhere on the draft list, Flames will be closer to the bottom than the top.Canes lets say at 16th ? and Flames at 7th ? Two great prospects and the ability to move up. Tilusty is a good prospect too. While its tough to give Iggy away you can't decline this trade.

Sparky1977 01-08-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palindrom (Post 57279461)
I could see this as a deadline deal, if calgary is out of the playoff, but not now.

Agreed. I think Iggy is heading out of Calgary this year no matter what so the Flames should deal him and maximize their return.

Flames rebuilder 01-08-2013 11:37 AM

This is a nice fit for both teams! Iggy would be deadly with the Staal's and Calgary gets a nice return.

roboninja 01-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 57283145)
Calgary has a better team than Carolina, they are the ones shooting for a playoff spot despite what the collective HF thinks. If Calgary has a slow start and is failing by deadline, then maybe.

We'll see who's right, you or "the collective". I'm betting on CAR being the much better team.

jeromeo87 01-08-2013 01:07 PM

This trade is a tough call, IMO. We all know the kind of player Iggy is. But I will say this: Tlusty developed some nice chemistry with Staal the second half of last year. Would it be smart to trade away a player who has top line chemistry for someone you would have for a year? I'm not saying Carolina shouldn't do it, though..

JetsHomer 01-08-2013 01:11 PM

Personally I think Carolina has a great top 6. Its their lack of bottom 6 depth and a bad defence that's going to be hard for them to overcome.

TOGuy14 01-08-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 57283145)
Calgary has a better team than Carolina, they are the ones shooting for a playoff spot despite what the collective HF thinks. If Calgary has a slow start and is failing by deadline, then maybe.

Carolina is by no means an elite team, but I consider them significantly better than Calgary both in terms of current players and prospects in the system.

Carolina added J. Staal this year, Calgary just got another year older essentially.

I would put money on Carolina reaching the playoffs again before Calgary does

Boom Boom Anton 01-08-2013 02:45 PM

I wouldn't do it and am probably in the minority as a Canes fan. Iginla is fantastic, but IMO too much to give up for a 35yo UFA to be (especially because I think the Canes Defense isn't good enough to make them a contender this year).

Blueline Bomber 01-08-2013 02:47 PM

I don't know about the 3 pieces from Carolina. Pick and chose 2 of the 3 and I'd feel better about the deal.

Flames rebuilder 01-08-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 57294775)
I don't know about the 3 pieces from Carolina. Pick and chose 2 of the 3 and I'd feel better about the deal.

I'd rather add a small piece from Calgary, need be. Maybe Stempniak/Comeau/Butler(bottom 6/defense)

DaveG 01-08-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder (Post 57296717)
I'd rather add a small piece from Calgary, need be. Maybe Stempniak/Comeau/Butler(bottom 6/defense)

That would most likely be the case.

I agree with BB, though the piece I feel the least comfortable about shipping out is probably the one that the Flames value the least depending on where it ends up, the 2013 first. After shipping out last years first in the Jordan Staal trade, the Canes are going to be in a tough spot shipping one out yet again unless it's in the 20+ range. It could be worth it if an extension is worked out with Iginla, but if not that's a tough pill to swallow.

Boom Boom Anton 01-08-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 57297249)
That would most likely be the case.

After shipping out last years first in the Jordan Staal trade, the Canes are going to be in a tough spot shipping one out yet again unless it's in the 20+ range.

That's a lot of what makes me not like this. Even though I think it was a bit of an overpayment, I understand why they traded Sutter, 1st and Dumoulin for J. Staal. It gives them a 1-2 punch down the center that almost every cup champ since the lockout has had, he's still very young, and we knew he'd re-sign with Carolina.

Iginla is a fantastic player, but I don't think he puts the canes over the top, he could walk at years end and even if he was willing to sign, he'd be 36 at the time. Now he could be like Ray Whitney and continue to perform into his 40s..or he could be like Rod Brind'Amour (and many others) who drastically dropped off after hitting 35.

All that makes me not like the deal, especially in this shortened season when who knows what will happen.

Oates2Neely 01-08-2013 03:57 PM

A few thoughts:

While I think Carolina will make the playoffs, I do not see them as a "top-3 in the East". Pitt, NYR, BOS, PHI, BUF all look better IMO.

Calgary is not "better than Carolina",, not even close. Calgary will finish close to last in the West IMO. Rebuild,, that was clear 3 years ago.

Iginla wouldnt net the package OP proposed. Not as a soon to be UFA. Should have traded him last year or even 2 years ago to maximize return. That ship has also sailed.

With Skinner, Semin, E.Staal, J.Staal, Ruuttu, Jokinen, etc.. Carolina would have the potential to dominate the East, especially with Ward in goal. BUT, that blueline looks AHL caliber,, yikes.

InfinityIggy 01-08-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen (Post 57278131)
The Hurricanes have the foundation of what could be a fairly dominant team (even without Ruutu) in place and should be able to challenge for a top 3 spot in the East.

The Flames are probably looking to get younger and faster, while the Canes are looking for a legit playoff push.

My Proposal is this

:flames

Jiri Tlusty
Prospect (Dalpe -or- Boychuk -or- Murphy)
2013 1st

:canes

Jarome Iginla

Flames shave 5m+ from their payroll, get a 24 year old top 6 winger with 20-25 goal production, a solid prospect and a 1st, for an aging, but still productive, 30 goal scorer who's looking to win a cup before he retires.

I realise Iginla's "celebrity" might hinder a trade, but the Flames aren't really going anywhere, and I think this is a good "hockey trade"

Tlusty
Murphy
1st

seems like a good package...Id rather another young player, maybe Rask? Instead of Tlusty.

Gary83* 01-08-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oates2Neely (Post 57298493)
A few thoughts:

While I think Carolina will make the playoffs, I do not see them as a "top-3 in the East". Pitt, NYR, BOS, PHI, BUF all look better IMO.

Calgary is not "better than Carolina",, not even close. Calgary will finish close to last in the West IMO. Rebuild,, that was clear 3 years ago.

Iginla wouldnt net the package OP proposed. Not as a soon to be UFA. Should have traded him last year or even 2 years ago to maximize return. That ship has also sailed.

With Skinner, Semin, E.Staal, J.Staal, Ruuttu, Jokinen, etc.. Carolina would have the potential to dominate the East, especially with Ward in goal. BUT, that blueline looks AHL caliber,, yikes.

lol, same garbage from you as always. Calgary was 31-22-11 against the west last year. I love how everyone is pegging them to be bottom dwellers in the west this year.

They won't necessarily be a playoff team but they'll be alot closer to playoffs then they will be a bottom of the pack team.

jeromeo87 01-08-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oates2Neely (Post 57298493)
A few thoughts:

While I think Carolina will make the playoffs, I do not see them as a "top-3 in the East". Pitt, NYR, BOS, PHI, BUF all look better IMO.

Calgary is not "better than Carolina",, not even close. Calgary will finish close to last in the West IMO. Rebuild,, that was clear 3 years ago.

Iginla wouldnt net the package OP proposed. Not as a soon to be UFA. Should have traded him last year or even 2 years ago to maximize return. That ship has also sailed.

With Skinner, Semin, E.Staal, J.Staal, Ruuttu, Jokinen, etc.. Carolina would have the potential to dominate the East, especially with Ward in goal. BUT, that blueline looks AHL caliber,, yikes.

Bingo. I think any major deal the Canes would be involved in would be for another dman. Plus, Tlusty+prospect+1st for a 35 year old with one year left (even if it is Iginla) just seems too much to me..

Bobs your uncle 01-08-2013 05:03 PM

I personally don't see the Flames being better than Carolina in anyones world outside of those residing in Calgary. Trading a bunch of young skilled players with growing upside for a 35 year old who's skills are diminishing would be silly for the Hurricanes. Jarome is not the same Iginla of 4 years ago nor will he ever be again.

DesertDawg 01-08-2013 05:07 PM

Iginla has a say to what ever team that may trade for him, if he considers leaving Calgary. I also believe that the Coyotes would have interest after Jamison takes over. I also believe that Iginla may decide over the 'Yotes than the "Canes because of Doan and Playfair (especially if the Flames are planning to re-sign him). Most of this is hoping and believe that Iginla would make them more of a legitimate contender and give LA a run for the WCF.

Dragon Priest 01-08-2013 05:08 PM

That's not too bad, actually. If the prospect is Murphy it would be a good deal for Calgary and, obviously, Carolina too. However, I feel another team could offer up a better package.

Backlund 01-08-2013 05:10 PM

Not a fan of this proposal.

Boom Boom Anton 01-08-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunsnRosesPenguins91 (Post 57302295)
That's not too bad, actually. If the prospect is Murphy it would be a good deal for Calgary and, obviously, Carolina too. However, I feel another team could offer up a better package.

I know I might be in the minority, but I disagree. That much for 49 games of Iginla (since he's a UFA after the season) isn't a very good deal for Carolina IMO. I'm a big Iginla fan, so short term, yes, but not in the long run. That's essentially the Canes giving up the equivalent of 3 first round picks for a 35yo UFA to be on a team (the Canes) that has a suspect defense. If Iginla was a couple of years younger and not a UFA to be, the trading for him might make sense (even though it would cost more than this proposal).

When the Canes gave up a similar package for JStaal, they knew he was young AND that he would sign an extension.

Anyhow, if Iginla has a NTC, I would be surprised if he'd come to Carolina anyhow. If he really wants to win the cup, there are teams with better chances that could really use him also.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.