HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Sabres Defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1318777)

stokes84 01-08-2013 03:36 PM

Sabres Defense
 
Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.

Reddawg 01-08-2013 03:38 PM

I have to believe McNabb or Brennan will be moved, they both fill pretty much the exact same role very well and there just isn't room for both of them anytime soon. Pardy is obviously very expendable but won't bring much in return.

is the answer jesus 01-08-2013 03:48 PM

I'd think that Sekera and Regehr are also in the unlikely to be moved group. Sekera plays a top 4 role, is young, and is inexpensive. Regehr seems unlikely as well seeing as how he waived his NTC to come here just over a year ago. I am interested to see what will be offered for some of the other defenseman we could potentially be shopping. IMO Leopold, Weber, or Pardy seem the most likely to be shopped.

Billy Mays Here 01-08-2013 03:49 PM

Wild are short on D at the moment due to injury and may be looking to acquire some help. What kind of return would you be looking for in exchange for Mcnabb? Leopold is of interest too, especially being a Minnesota boy and all, but we'd have to dump some cap space to acquire him and I don't see Fletcher changing the roster much at all.

is the answer jesus 01-08-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddawg (Post 57300803)
I have to believe McNabb or Brennan will be moved, they both fill pretty much the exact same role very well and there just isn't room for both of them anytime soon. Pardy is obviously very expendable but won't bring much in return.

I could see Brennan possibly being moved, but I doubt McNabb will be. Brennan has fantastic offensive skill, and does have a bit of a physical game, but he really needs more time to work on his defensive game, which he wouldn't get here as a 7th defenseman. McNabb's play is much more physical than Brennan's and he's got some offensive tools as well although they aren't quite as developed as TJ's. With that in mind I'd say the Sabres need a defenseman more in the mold of McNabb than Brennan. When Regehr possibly leaves after this year we'll be as soft as tissue paper on the blueline.

Jame 01-08-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 57300691)
Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.

i doubt Sekera or Regehr are available

in an even lower cap world, Sekera's 3 remaining years at 2.75 per are ****ing golden

Dark Knight 01-08-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 57300691)
Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.

I'll gladly take Andrej Sekera on Toronto.

I have reservations about our defense despite it being the area the team has heavily invested in.

What would it take to get Sekera to Toronto?

Jame 01-08-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57301383)
Wild are short on D at the moment due to injury and may be looking to acquire some help. What kind of return would you be looking for in exchange for Mcnabb? Leopold is of interest too, especially being a Minnesota boy and all, but we'd have to dump some cap space to acquire him and I don't see Fletcher changing the roster much at all.

Leopold for Cullen

works for both sides, same cap hit,

Billy Mays Here 01-08-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 57302031)
Leopold for Cullen

works for both sides, same cap hit,

I would do that trade in a heartbeat but didn't Cullen say no to Buffalo's offer a couple years ago in free agency? Cullen still has a partial NTC and even though I'd like to trade him, I don't see him going anywhere, especially considering he likely wants to finish his career in Minnesota and retire here since he's also a Minnesota boy.

stokes84 01-08-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 57301971)
I'll gladly take Andrej Sekera on Toronto.

I have reservations about our defense despite it being the area the team has heavily invested in.

What would it take to get Sekera to Toronto?

Kadri + Finn

couture23 01-08-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 57302933)
Kadri + Finn

I don't know if that's a good deal for us, I'd rather target Biggs. I'd like to hang on to Sekera and either deal Leo or Regehr.

struckbyaparkedcar 01-08-2013 04:33 PM

Regehr and Sekera are staying.

If a team really likes Brayden McNabb's upside and has a young center or actual shutdown D, I'd look into that. Otherwise, Leo for depth or Pardy/Weber/whoever for scraps sounds good.

Jame 01-08-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 57302933)
Kadri + Finn

I wouldn't even do that deal
Kadri is looking like a Connolly-esque prospect
and Finn is redundant

meanwhile, Sekera is an NHL Shutdown defensemen, only 26 yrs old, and signed for 3 seasons for 60-70% of his market value

stokes84 01-08-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couture23 (Post 57303351)
I don't know if that's a good deal for us, I'd rather target Biggs. I'd like to hang on to Sekera and either deal Leo or Regehr.

As would I, but I think Sekera gets us the best return. I guess that trade depends on how you feel about Kadri. I like the idea of adding to this young core we have.

Jame 01-08-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 57303533)
Regehr and Sekera are staying.

If a team really likes Brayden McNabb's upside and has a young center or actual shutdown D, I'd look into that. Otherwise, Leo for depth or Pardy/Weber/whoever for scraps sounds good.

agreed.

lifeisruff 01-08-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 57300691)
Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.

Regher isn't going anywhere. NHL teams don't fly their owner, his wife and the head coach across the county to beg a player to waive his no trade clause. Only to trade said player a year later....bad juju

Weber is probably not going anywhere, he's really close with new acquisition, Steve Ott.

Sulzer is probably not going anywhere, he just resigned "this offseason"

Sekera I'll trade, but his value is pretty high.

and McNabb probably would require an over payment.

DJN21 01-08-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57301383)
Wild are short on D at the moment due to injury and may be looking to acquire some help. What kind of return would you be looking for in exchange for Mcnabb? Leopold is of interest too, especially being a Minnesota boy and all, but we'd have to dump some cap space to acquire him and I don't see Fletcher changing the roster much at all.

something around leopold and clutterbuck works for me with tinkering obviously but the caps would end up around a wash

SuperNintendoChalmrs 01-08-2013 06:21 PM

You can have Butters... I mean Leopold for something. :)

couture23 01-08-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisruff (Post 57303699)
Regher isn't going anywhere. NHL teams don't fly their owner, his wife and the head coach across the county to beg a player to waive his no trade clause. Only to trade said player a year later....bad juju

Weber is probably not going anywhere, he's really close with new acquisition, Steve Ott.

Sulzer is probably not going anywhere, he just resigned "this offseason"

Sekera I'll trade, but his value is pretty high.

and McNabb probably would require an over payment.

Basically this. McNabb and Sekera would cost an arm and a leg, and trading Regehr or Weber would make our team look bad. Realistically, Sulzer wouldn't be off the board but Leopold is definitely in play.

is the answer jesus 01-08-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 57307855)
something around leopold and clutterbuck works for me with tinkering obviously but the caps would end up around a wash

I'd like that deal too, we'd have to add a significant asset with Leopold to make it work. With Tropp out for the year, Mccormick still fighting that finger issue, and Gerbe coming off a major surgery we need another body and a guy with some sandpaper to his game like Clutterbuck would be perfect.

tsujimoto74 01-08-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by is the answer jesus (Post 57308835)
I'd like that deal too, we'd have to add a significant asset with Leopold to make it work. With Tropp out for the year, Mccormick still fighting that finger issue, and Gerbe coming off a major surgery we need another body and a guy with some sandpaper to his game like Clutterbuck would be perfect.

Ott-?-Clutterbuck would be a fun third line to watch, but I'd rather make a deal for a center. We need someone who can win draws, handle a lot of defensive zone starts, PK, etc.

BlueDream 01-08-2013 07:11 PM

I'm sure the Blues have made a call. I'd be interested in quite a few of those guys, not sure what Buffalo would want in return.

BackGroundMusic 01-08-2013 07:14 PM

Leopold is by far the most likely to be moved, imo. For the sake of this thread, maybe we should more or less just focus on him.

caley 01-08-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 57300691)
Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.

Let's look at these 10.

Myers and Ehrhoff aren't going anywhere. Both are locked up for a while, both are building blocks of the team.

Weber, Pardy, Sulzer and Brennan won't be going anywhere either. Weber because he's young, physical and signed to a decent contract and the Sabres are trying to become more difficult to play against. Pardy because he's overpaid for what he is a physical #6-8 defenceman. Sulzer because if other teams were really interested, they could have had him earlier and he impressed Buffalo enough last year to get a 1-way deal but probably no other team enough to justify acquiring him. And Brennan because he's a solid prospect who might be ready, but every team in the league has their own version of that.

So that leaves us with just 4
-McNabb: I'd be shocked if he's moved. He's big, physical, young and played extremely well last year for the Sabres. Plus, he's not waiver eligible IIRC, so I don't see the incentive to moving him. If there's no room for him, let him play one more year of AHL hockey.
-Sekera: Signed to a reasonable contract, can move up or down the lineup depending on injuries and depth. Solid defensively, I think he stays put.
-Leopold: Definite candidate to be moved. He's a solid offensive defenceman. But, realistically, Myers and Ehrhoff are both better on the power-play. He's good in his own end, but Sekera is better and cheaper. I wouldn't anticipate much coming back in return, probably a pick or prospect.
-Regehr:I think he's the other possibility. Calgary fans warned when he was moved that he wasn't the same player he once was, and he isn't. He's still physical, but he's slow and can lose coverage to quick players, and with a $4+ million cap hit, he's not cheap, either. But, he still has a good reputation around the league as a tough shutdown defenceman and a playoff team with injuries to the blueline, a team looking to add a physical element, or a confident coach who thinks he can use him/turn around his play could/would all be interested

So, the most likely candidate to move is Leopold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Regehr either. His grit and leadership could help a team that's lost some (For instance, to Dallas to replace Souray and Pardy).

StringerBell 01-08-2013 07:32 PM

I'd be interested in Brennan. Not sure where Buffalo stands on him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.