HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Mixed Martial Arts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Changes to Pick Em (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1318833)

northstarsforever 01-08-2013 05:52 PM

Changes to Pick Em
 
I figured more people would see this than in the standings thread. What changes would you like to see for the pick em? I forgot Strikeforce was this weekend so it may be too late for some stuff. Do you want to do all the UFC cards or just pay per views? I know it got to be a lot. We also need a tiebreaker. Anything else that I didn't think of?

End of Line 01-08-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northstarsforever (Post 57304445)
I figured more people would see this than in the standings thread. What changes would you like to see for the pick em? I forgot Strikeforce was this weekend so it may be too late for some stuff. Do you want to do all the UFC cards or just pay per views? I know it got to be a lot. We also need a tiebreaker. Anything else that I didn't think of?

All cards.

MurrayBannerman 01-08-2013 07:53 PM

Tiebreakers could be something like the Tapology card where you pick the manner in which the fight is won and then if it is finished.

Ex.) Weidman KO/TKO Rd. 2

northstarsforever 01-11-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 57309669)
Tiebreakers could be something like the Tapology card where you pick the manner in which the fight is won and then if it is finished.

Ex.) Weidman KO/TKO Rd. 2

I like the idea. May be too late for SF card this weekend.

BGDDYKWL 01-11-2013 10:16 PM

I would prefer it be just good cards, but obviously that's highly subjective. I guess what I mean is like a free event on Fuel typically has a lot of fighters that even the most passionate fans don't know virtually anything about. My vote would be PPVs and Fox events, but all is fine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 57309669)
Tiebreakers could be something like the Tapology card where you pick the manner in which the fight is won and then if it is finished.

Ex.) Weidman KO/TKO Rd. 2

We talking about when he fights Silva? I kid, I kid. I like this idea.

Chris Cutter 01-11-2013 10:38 PM

Just a random question since it seems appropriate: can I join in since it's 2013?

BGDDYKWL 01-11-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cutter (Post 57463577)
Just a random question since it seems appropriate: can I join in since it's 2013?

I plan to (and didn't do it last year) so you should be good. ;)

I am the Liquor 01-12-2013 02:30 AM

I think it should be ppv only.

Last year was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many cards. Picking fights for so many cards became onerous. Ive been mulling over not participating this year because it has kind of become a pita.

Either that or just main events for all cards. That would work too. No prelims, no facebook fights.

Chris Cutter 01-12-2013 02:33 AM

As an outsider I think it should be the main card of every event like I am the liquor suggested.

BGDDYKWL 01-12-2013 03:04 AM

^^^^ I'm fine with that. I actually didn't do it last year because it did just get to be too much for me in terms of looking up so many fighters on prelims that I had never heard of nor had any interest in.

End of Line 01-12-2013 05:08 PM

Main card for Fuel/FX shows sounds good.

What about including prelims for ppv cards? Since there's usually 3-4 "names" on them.

Live in the Now 01-12-2013 05:13 PM

Main card for each event would be good, prelim fights on a case by case basis. Sometimes there's a good one regardless of whether the fight is on PPV or not.

Avs_19 01-12-2013 05:50 PM

I think we should just set the rules from the beginning to avoid the eventual disagreements over which prelims should/shouldn't be included. Either pick the prelims for every event, pick the prelims for no events, or pick the prelims for every PPV event but not the free ones.

I think picking only the main card for every event would be good. Saves northstarsforever a lot of time when adding everything up and there won't be any fighters we don't know. I'm fine with whatever the majority decides but I definitely think we should pick every event and not just the PPVs.

BGDDYKWL 01-12-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by End of Line (Post 57487671)
Main card for Fuel/FX shows sounds good.

What about including prelims for ppv cards? Since there's usually 3-4 "names" on them.

I think this is a good compromise.

OG Kuch 01-12-2013 06:30 PM

All fights on all UFC cards imo.

macleod50 01-12-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 57468899)
I think it should be ppv only.

Last year was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many cards. Picking fights for so many cards became onerous. Ive been mulling over not participating this year because it has kind of become a pita.

Either that or just main events for all cards. That would work too. No prelims, no facebook fights.

Yeah there were a lot of cards last year.

I would go every fight on every PPV and skip the FOX/FX/Fuel cards all together.

I am the Liquor 01-13-2013 03:38 AM

I dont think it makes sense to have different rules for FX/Fox vs PPV. Just make it all the same for all the events. KISS principle. Honestly I have no interest in picking prelims. Much of the time Im resorting to researching guys Ive never heard of or never seen fight before. Where is the skill/fun in that?

I dont see it, and frankly Im not interested in doing that anymore. But you guys are free to do whatever you feel is best.

Spawn 01-13-2013 04:09 AM

I would vote main event only for all cards. It's tedious looking up wikipedia stats between two guys I've never even heard of. There is nothing stopping people from picking all the fights, but just main event for standings is more manageable in terms of making the picks and keeping track of the actual stats.

I'm pretty iffy on different rules for different events. As IaTL said... simple is the way to go.

As for a tie breaker... I don't mind the notion of picking how the fight will end, but again, having to pick every fight is difficult to keep track of. Perhaps just the headlining fight.


My suggestion:
All UFC events, main card only.
Tie-breaker - Predict the round/how the fight is finished for the main event of the card.

End of Line 01-13-2013 09:05 AM

Sounds good Spawn. Tie breaker for the main event then?

Spawn 01-13-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by End of Line (Post 57516195)
Sounds good Spawn. Tie breaker for the main event then?


Looking back at my post it might be a little confusing I think. My suggestion is we pick picks just for the main card of the evening. Then the tie breaker is predicting how the top fight of the card will finish (not every fight on the main card)

For example my picks for a card look like:

Silva vs Jones via 3rd round submission
Koscheck vs Condit
Nelson vs Big Nog
Munoz vs Stann
George Laraque vs Bob Sapp

Then lets say I go 4/5 and someone else goes 4/5. The tie-breaker goes to whomever predicts when/how the top fight will end. If it is still a tie at that point, then whatever, we've had plenty of ties before.

I am the Liquor 01-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 57528125)
Looking back at my post it might be a little confusing I think. My suggestion is we pick picks just for the main card of the evening. Then the tie breaker is predicting how the top fight of the card will finish (not every fight on the main card)

For example my picks for a card look like:

Silva vs Jones via 3rd round submission
Koscheck vs Condit
Nelson vs Big Nog
Munoz vs Stann
George Laraque vs Bob Sapp

Then lets say I go 4/5 and someone else goes 4/5. The tie-breaker goes to whomever predicts when/how the top fight will end. If it is still a tie at that point, then whatever, we've had plenty of ties before.

This makes sense.

I would also say for last year's tie, why not try this out for the first ufc ppv event of 2013?

Whoever picks the main card in the above fashion most accurately, wins last year's pick em.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.