HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Is it time for Detroit to begin a full rebuild? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1318949)

Rorschach 01-08-2013 08:10 PM

Is it time for Detroit to begin a full rebuild?

Stars are aging but still have value, they have a young back end as well...they aren't able to improve enough to be a contender any more...

So, should they rebuild, retool or try to be the next Flames?

The Nose 01-08-2013 08:14 PM

They have a lot more pieces still than the Flames. They aren't far from being major cup contenders and this year they will have at least 3 rookies on the team. They are in a mini rebuild at the moment but they can maintain their success as long as Holland knows what he's doing.

MastuhNinks 01-08-2013 08:19 PM

They don't need to, but if they cleaned house (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall) they could get some amazing return, plus a few high draft picks and they'd have another great team that could probably compete for multiple cups 5 years down the road. Having said that I don't think it would be the 'Red Wings way'.

Rorschach 01-08-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 (Post 57313333)
They have a lot more pieces still than the Flames. They aren't far from being major cup contenders and this year they will have at least 3 rookies on the team. They are in a mini rebuild at the moment but they can maintain their success as long as Holland knows what he's doing.

Thanks for the opinion.

I agree they aren't the Flames...yet.

I think the main problem is they lost a #1 D and can't find a way to replace him and weren't contenders even with him. Then again Detroit has a ton of cap space I believe.

Machinehead 01-08-2013 08:28 PM

The Wings will be a good team right up until younger talent is ready to take over. They aren't going full rebuild any time soon.

topchowda 01-08-2013 08:30 PM

They got some really good prospects, no need for a rebuild, maybe trade for some younger pieces and suffer for one year, but theyll be good to go

The Nose 01-08-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 57313871)
Thanks for the opinion.

I think the main problem is they lost a #1 D and can't find a way to replace him and weren't contenders even with him. Then again Detroit has a ton of cap space I believe.

Yep KH needs to work his old magic.

bleedblue1223 01-08-2013 08:38 PM

Still a very good team with some really good prospects, meaning no need for a rebuild.

The Big Unit 01-08-2013 08:39 PM

Although it's not time for a full rebuild I feel one may have to come sooner rather than later. It's tough to see any gems like Zetterberg or Datsyuk coming up for the Red Wings and I truly believe that losing Lidstrom is going to take a heavy toll. Right now I agree with the retool option because you've got some great pieces in the Motor City but Holland needs to find a new anchor on D. Free agency will be key for this team.

Wiems35* 01-08-2013 09:23 PM

As a Blues fan I say trade em' all!!! Send the whole team to the KHL!!!

Billy Mays Here 01-08-2013 09:32 PM

Still think they should've gone after Semin a lot harder than they did. Datsyuk - Semin would've been awesome.

Izzy 01-08-2013 09:35 PM

Kronwall is worthy of #1 D. He's no Lidstrom, but still

Rolen 01-08-2013 10:10 PM

The flames are retooling so I don't know what the OP is implying?

I'm fully ready for every one of you to ask me what the flames have done to retool.

And to stay on topic I think the wings should retool. That doesn't mean to trade away their stars such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but acquiring younger players, preferably age 22-26, is ideal. Brunner was a great start to that. Detroit also has some good prospects coming up such as Nyquist, Smith and Tatar, although it's seems like Holland has rid most of them at their chance to make the roster by signing guys such as Samuelsson and Tootoo.

If I was Detroit I wouldn't be too worried. So long as they stop trading draft picks for players such as Quincey I think they are in a safe position. Competitive now, and a promising future (yet to be seen).

Rorschach 01-08-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolen (Post 57318799)
The flames are retooling so I don't know what the OP is implying?

I'm fully ready for every one of you to ask me what the flames have done to retool.

And to stay on topic I think the wings should retool. That doesn't mean to trade away their stars such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but acquiring younger players, preferably age 22-26, is ideal. Brunner was a great start to that. Detroit also has some good prospects coming up such as Nyquist, Smith and Tatar, although it's seems like Holland has rid most of them at their chance to make the roster by signing guys such as Samuelsson and Tootoo.

If I was Detroit I wouldn't be too worried. So long as they stop trading draft picks for players such as Quincey I think they are in a safe position. Competitive now, and a promising future (yet to be seen).

I agree the Flames are re-tooling. What I'm saying is most fans on HF, Flames and non alike, seem to think that they should have started rebuilding a couple of years ago and I'm comparing Detroit now to Calgary then.

Trap Jesus 01-08-2013 10:42 PM

I think they're fine. As they are right now, I think they're a playoff team but probably not a Cup contender. So maybe some retooling is needed but nothing too major.

The Red Line 01-08-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 57313871)
Thanks for the opinion.

They weren't? Just because a team loses in the first round doesn't make them any less of "contenders". Lots of good teams get knocked out.

They had a very good record last season and were at or near the top in many if not most of the important statistical categories. This was all with significant injuries to Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Howard - their three most important players last season.

The defense woes are way overblown, people act like Lidstrom was in his prime when he retired. He will be missed but its not like he played 60 minutes a night. They will be fine without him, and finally are opening up opportunities for promising young players.

They have two of the best centers in the game, and the best coach and GM in hockey. Comparing them to the Flames is insulting. (no offense Flames fans).

Rorschach 01-08-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Red Line (Post 57320115)
They weren't? Just because a team loses in the first round doesn't make them any less of "contenders". Lots of good teams get knocked out.

They had a very good record last season and were at or near the top in many if not most of the important statistical categories. This was all with significant injuries to Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Howard - their three most important players last season.

The defense woes are way overblown, people act like Lidstrom was in his prime when he retired. He will be missed but its not like he played 60 minutes a night. They will be fine without him, and finally are opening up opportunities for promising young players.

They have two of the best centers in the game, and the best coach and GM in hockey. Comparing them to the Flames is insulting. (no offense Flames fans).

Again, not comparing them now to the Flames now. I'm saying if the time to rebuild is now and you wait a few years instead when your top players are like 35+, then your situation at that time will be like the Flames now.

And that's IF you believe it's time for them to rebuild possibly, which I do but others don't. Thus the poll...

I am the Liquor 01-08-2013 11:20 PM

Definitely not. A full tear it down rebuild is a horrible thing. They still have a good team and some decent prospects in the system. They should be able to retool rather than go into a full rebuild.

McTankel 01-08-2013 11:22 PM

No they are one of the best drafting teams and well coached. They don't need a plethora of top 10 picks to become contenders again. They will move right along with there playoff streak.

Aceonfire 01-08-2013 11:24 PM

I can see them pulling an Ottawa "Rebuild". One bad season, make the playoffs next year with a Norris winner lol.

Master_Of_Districts 01-08-2013 11:25 PM

Notwithstanding that they lost in the first round - in a series where they were probably better on merit in any case - the Wings were still a very strong team last year.

A rebuild would be ill-advised.

Eisen 01-08-2013 11:35 PM

Not as long as they still have Dats and Zšta. They just need a little tweaking.

Dynheart 01-09-2013 12:13 AM

Rebuild is reserved for poorly ran teams. A major retooling is inevitable, for any team. But that's the thing. A retooling. The Red Wings are a well ran team. They aren't going to need to blow up the team to get things going again. Fix it up on the go...they have that luxury.

They have some great prospects up and coming. The key here is timing. Don't bring them up too fast, or too slow. You also have to find the correct players for the team...star players, from the FA.

If, for whatever reason, every single prospect turns into a bust, and they can't land a star player in the next two to three years? Then yes, panic. For now? Just tweak as you go, just like they have been since '09.

AKL 01-09-2013 12:21 AM

As long as Holland and Babcock are there, there's no need for a full rebuild.

MessierII 01-09-2013 12:32 AM

Wouldn't be suprised if they missed the playoffs this year.