HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who are 2005 FREE AGENTS? 2006? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=131910)

dakota 02-26-2005 02:34 PM

Who are 2005 FREE AGENTS? 2006?

Just curious as to whose contracts are up at the end of this year... and based on negotions (or lack of) who is a free agent in 2006?

Is there a list available... Wondering how many players will be under contract if another season is cancelled as well (2006-06 season)? How does all this impact the 24% roll back? how many players? How much money is this really?

Cerebral 02-26-2005 03:00 PM

Has it been officially declared that contracts will continue to run through the lockout? For example, Ryan Smyth had one year left on his contract and that year has been lost due to the lockout. Could he now be considered a free agent or does he still have to stay with Edmonton for that one year? I've been hearing a lot of conflicting information regarding this and I was wondering if anything has actually been declared...

leafaholix* 02-26-2005 03:02 PM

Adam Foote of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It Kills Me 02-26-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Adam Foote of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Umm, I don't think soo.

leafaholix* 02-26-2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
Umm, I don't think soo.

Why not?

Xoggz22 02-26-2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
Has it been officially declared that contracts will continue to run through the lockout? For example, Ryan Smyth had one year left on his contract and that year has been lost due to the lockout. Could he now be considered a free agent or does he still have to stay with Edmonton for that one year? I've been hearing a lot of conflicting information regarding this and I was wondering if anything has actually been declared...

This has not been cleared up yet. I've asked the same question many times and been told many different answers. I would have to imagine the owners are going to push for the years to come off the contract so they don't have to pay the inflated costs for any longer time than necessary.

As a CBJ fan, I would like to see this happen as it allows players like Richardson, Lachance, Marchant, Cassels and Sanderson to lose a year off their bad contracts (Maybe Cassels isn't too bad...)

txpd 02-26-2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

contracts run from july to july in a given year or set of years. anyone signing a one year contract that expires in july of 2005 will be a free agent before the next nhl season. sergei gonchar and scott neidermeyer would be examples of that.

Jaromir Jagr had 4 years left on his contract at the start of this season. There are 3 left now.

McDonald19 02-26-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
contracts run from july to july in a given year or set of years. anyone signing a one year contract that expires in july of 2005 will be a free agent before the next nhl season. sergei gonchar and scott neidermeyer would be examples of that.

Jaromir Jagr had 4 years left on his contract at the start of this season. There are 3 left now.

Agreed. Officially contracts go by years whether hockey is played or not. So players that would have been UFA's this July will still be UFA's this July even though a season was not played.

dakota 02-26-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
Agreed. Officially contracts go by years whether hockey is played or not. So players that would have been UFA's this July will still be UFA's this July even though a season was not played.

right but did the YASHIN ruling not change this? I know it is different because there is no CBA but just wondering?

If this is true.. then how many FREE AGENTS are there? Is there a list somewhere? what about the July 2006? Who becomes a free agent then?

Chayos 02-26-2005 05:36 PM

There will be a ton of FA's next July and if there is a new CBA in place you may see a much lower UFA age as well. FRom my standpoint the only way to get the players to agree to a system that the owners want is to give tehm UFA much earlier. The owners need to get a CBA in place before Sept so you will Likely see a UFA age of 28 or lower to really have a hope of getting a linked deal that the owners want. So there would be a ton of UFA on the market like ryan smyth, Markus naslund, and many more.

Vatican Roulette 02-26-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakota
Just curious as to whose contracts are up at the end of this year... and based on negotions (or lack of) who is a free agent in 2006?

Is there a list available... Wondering how many players will be under contract if another season is cancelled as well (2006-06 season)? How does all this impact the 24% roll back? how many players? How much money is this really?

this site does a pretty good job of listing everyone.

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2005.html

It Kills Me 02-27-2005 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk

Who is this Jeff Daw and Andy MacDonald that plays for the LEafs?

Pulfy14 02-27-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Who is this Jeff Daw and Andy MacDonald that plays for the LEafs?

Andy MacDonald is on St.John's

dakota 02-27-2005 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk

thanks for the link this is what i was looking for... is their any web site for July 2006 as well?

CH Wizard 02-27-2005 01:08 PM

Naslund will become a UFA ???

He'll maybe test the market but I don't expect him to sign elsewhere then Vancouver.

Reaper45 02-27-2005 01:15 PM

Good riddance to Cechmaniac.

Cerebral 02-27-2005 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19

Has this been clarified by the league though? I've been hearing lots of speculation on this but I've yet to read a definite decision...

A.J. 02-27-2005 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
Andy MacDonald is on St.John's

You mean Jason MacDonald plays for St. John's. :)

A.J. 02-27-2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Who is this Jeff Daw that plays for the Leafs?

Jeff Daw played for St. John's last season and wasn't re-signed this past summer. He's a minor leaguer.

andora 02-28-2005 01:17 AM

YES... tie domi finally can screw off :yo:

dakota 02-28-2005 07:38 AM

so the 24% rollback is becoming less and less attractive if more players contracts are up... not a good sign..

sveiglar 02-28-2005 07:51 AM

Quote:

Has this been clarified by the league though? I've been hearing lots of speculation on this but I've yet to read a definite decision...

The official position of the NHL:

Quote:

Player Contracts

Q: What happens with players who have remaining years left on contracts?

That will be a matter that is determined in collective bargaining.

Q: What happens with players who would have become free agents (restricted or unrestricted) on July 1, 2005?

That will be a matter that is determined in collective bargaining.
http://nhlcbanews.com/faq.html

dakota 02-28-2005 08:01 AM

so the contracts could still be valid in the next cba... i wonder if the NHL would rather have the contract run out or remain in place once the new cba is signed?

what about the NHLPA? they probably would love to have the contracts expire as their membership then can move freely in the "free market"...

sveiglar 02-28-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

so the contracts could still be valid in the next cba... i wonder if the NHL would rather have the contract run out or remain in place once the new cba is signed?

what about the NHLPA? they probably would love to have the contracts expire as their membership then can move freely in the "free market"...

I would think that the NHL would mostly like to have them expire as well. Certainly one less year for contracts like the Leclairs, Yashins, and Jagrs would be a relief for owners, but even if younger players lose the year they will still be facing potentially stiffer restrictions in a new CBA. The only group that the owners would like to keep would be any players that would be affected by a lowering of the UFA age, but overall I think they will want to let the contracts expire.

NFITO 02-28-2005 08:20 AM

Quote:

so the 24% rollback is becoming less and less attractive if more players contracts are up... not a good sign..

I don't think that the rollback is less attractive because more players hit UFA status.

The rollback reduces the overall salary levels of all players across the board... if the rollback doesn't affect new contracts and where those salaries should be, then it's entirely the ownership's (and GMs) fault for not bringing down the average salary.

When you negotiate though, you are compared with other salaries... if the top players in the league make $10mill a year, then chances are that when the next top player hits UFA status, his demands will be similar - and rightfully so... but if the top players are now making $7.5 mill, then the demands of the new free agent must also reflect that.

This will also directly affect salary arbitration, lowering the awards as they would be based on similar players, and what they make, in the league.

The problem comes up when teams start ignoring the new average salary, or new salary levels for players. When the Rangers, or Wings or another team ignores that the top players are now making $7mill a year, instead of $10mill, and dish out $10mill contracts to the top free agents, that's when the problem comes up... but that's the teams/owners/managers own fault for not following the current NHL market, and instead creating their own... this has been the problem in the past CBA as well, but I guess the league hopes to control this better by setting payroll ceilings and caps now.