HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NHL Center Ice or Gamecenter LIVE Packages- UPDATE - $49.99 Pricing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1319467)

jasonbaz77* 01-09-2013 02:21 PM

NHL Center Ice or Gamecenter LIVE Packages- UPDATE - $49.99 Pricing

Has anyone found anything on purchasing these? I can't get any info. Wondering if they discount the price etc...

I also want to know if anyone heard any news on using Gamecenter with XBOX Live.

Thanks

Bertly83 01-09-2013 02:22 PM

no announcements yet. i even contacted my local cable provider here. nothing from NHL yet.

RedBruin 01-09-2013 02:34 PM

Has the schedule even been released yet ?

BrainOfJ 01-09-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBruin (Post 57350905)
Has the schedule even been released yet ?

No. Ticket rep told me today or tomorrow was the expectation

Fair Warning 01-09-2013 02:41 PM

No word on it yet. I'm guessing, as others have said, we'll hear more once the schedule is released.

Greyhounds 01-09-2013 03:00 PM

I checked Comcast website a couple days ago, just for curiosity. Said it was currently unavailable. Probably need schedule first.

Traditionally, the first week is free anyway (at least for CI, not sure about Game Center), so no rush.

SerenityRick 01-09-2013 03:09 PM

This is probably the best place to ask this:

My wife and I are thinking about cancelling our cable tv and just using netflix in order to save money. Because of this, I obviously wouldn't be able to watch NESN...

I went over the Game Center LIVE faq on NHL.com and it said that if I'm "within distance of the station signal, those games would be subject to blackouts"... so... would I not be able to watch Bruins games (whether on NESN, NBCSports or NBC) at all because i COULD purchase and buy cable?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

EDIT - Or would I be able to watch the Bruins, it would just ALWAYS be the away team's broadcasters?

RussellmaniaKW 01-09-2013 03:11 PM

I'm really interested to see what the cost is. DirectTV told me that they were going to pro-rate it depending on how many games are played, but that could have just been a tentative plan. Would really be nice of the NHL to cut fans a deal this year. 50 bucks for half the season would be reasonable since it's normal like 160 for the whole year. Sure would be a good way to lure fans back.

DoubleAAAA 01-09-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerenityRick (Post 57353335)

My wife and I are thinking about cancelling our cable tv and just using netflix in order to save money. Because of this, I obviously wouldn't be able to watch NESN...

I went over the Game Center LIVE faq on NHL.com and it said that if I'm "within distance of the station signal, those games would be subject to blackouts"... so... would I not be able to watch Bruins games (whether on NESN, NBCSports or NBC) at all because i COULD purchase and buy cable?

EDIT - Or would I be able to watch the Bruins, it would just ALWAYS be the away team's broadcasters?

If you're within NESN's broadcast region the game will be blacked out, both feeds. If a game is on national TV, or your regional affiliate, it will also be blacked out. Can get around it with proxy's but that's the gist of it. It's really for out of market games (which is how they advertise it), so if you live in the Boston area and you're only buying for B's games, likely not worth it.

To the more general question of the thread, I have an email into GCL Support, I'll update my post once I get an answer.

SpokedLightning 01-09-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

I live in NE VT and it's blacked out for me. So my guess is you would be out of luck. :(

MSal 01-09-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

I called gamecenter about the range of blackout restrictions (I'm ~100 miles north of Boston). I was told that every state in the US belongs to one NHL team or another. They don't take distance from the nearest broadcasting station into account, unlike other sports :shakehead.

SerenityRick 01-09-2013 04:48 PM

In this new age of more and more people buying Netflix and/or Hulu.. blackouts are completely ridiculous. Really screws over people who no longer pay for cable or satellite. (I know at this point it's niche and I'm still well within the minority but it's still annoying)

smithformeragent 01-09-2013 05:41 PM

I'm thinking I'll go w/ hockey streams through the ipad to the tv. No blackouts.

SpokedLightning 01-10-2013 11:36 AM

How much did GCL cost last year? I was thinking of trying it out if it was cheap enough. Although between NESN and NBCSN and the NHL Network there should be plenty of hockey to watch. Maybe GCL will be free. :)

Kate08 01-10-2013 11:39 AM

We just got apple tv....what's that NHL app that comes pre-loaded on it?

caz16 01-10-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate08 (Post 57394581)
We just got apple tv....what's that NHL app that comes pre-loaded on it?

You have to subscribe to Game Centre to use it.

Kate08 01-10-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caz16 (Post 57399235)
You have to subscribe to Game Centre to use it.

Can I be an idiot and ask for a review of game centre? How does it differ from CI?

AlpineLager 01-10-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCBruin (Post 57350019)
Has anyone found anything on purchasing these? I can't get any info. Wondering if they discount the price etc...

I also want to know if anyone heard any news on using Gamecenter with XBOX Live.

Thanks

As far as xbox goes, I dont believe an app has been released as of yet but did read it was planned for the future.

I did read that the first two weeks or so on Center Ice will be free (was almost expecting the remainder of the season would be free - ******** :rant:) Unsure on pricing as of yet tho

SpokedLightning 01-10-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate08 (Post 57399477)
Can I be an idiot and ask for a review of game centre? How does it differ from CI?

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/10/...iew-comparison

It is probably in the article but with GCL depending on your connection the games will be in hd/near hd quality. CI hd is dependent on what your provider decides to air. As an example my cable Co. does not air any CI games in HD. (heck it doesn't even carry the NHL Network in hd. :( )

AlpineLager 01-10-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate08 (Post 57399477)

Gamecenter is the online version of CI is it not? I know some television providers include a gamecenter sub. with the purchase of CI. From what i can remember

:yo:

Kate08 01-10-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BergyMeister (Post 57400095)
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/10/...iew-comparison

It is probably in the article but with GCL depending on your connection the games will be in hd/near hd quality. CI hd is dependent on what your provider decides to air. As an example my cable Co. does not air any CI games in HD. (heck it doesn't even carry the NHL Network in hd. :( )

Thanks....based on this, GameCenter all the way for this girl, especially with the Apple TV.

jdw1164 01-10-2013 01:29 PM

Kate, I think GC is better then CI,plus theres extras like old archived games,condensed games ect.I watch it on tv thru a roku box,High def quality.But if you live near Boston you will need a proxy to watch.I live in NY and have to use a proxy because NYR,NYIand Devils games are all blacked out.

SpokedLightning 01-10-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw1164 (Post 57400421)
Kate, I think GC is better then CI,plus theres extras like old archived games,condensed games ect.I watch it on tv thru a roku box,High def quality.But if you live near Boston you will need a proxy to watch.I live in NY and have to use a proxy because NYR,NYIand Devils games are all blacked out.

was just going to post this as the B's games will be blacked out for you Kate. Not sure how the proxy works but I'm sure jdw can tell you. :)

Kate08 01-10-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw1164 (Post 57400421)

Thanks...I do live right outside of Boston, but we have NESN and all of the other channels. If we got it, it would be to watch out of market games, not for the B's. :nod:

Bmessy 01-10-2013 01:52 PM

I am fired up to get Gamecenter. Hopefully they have some decent deals. Built a bar in my aparment and getting a TV to put on the wall with Gamecenter. Needless to say I won't be doing much else anytime soon.