HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Prospects rights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=132031)

IronMarshal 02-27-2005 12:47 PM

Prospects rights
 
I read somewhere that if this thing isn't settled soon, players like Jeff Carter and Mike richards could become free agents. I hope this is not true. I know Clarkie gambled a little by not signing them over the summer, but this would be real bad (no sense beating a dead horse).

I am pretty sure they will have some kind of arrangement in the new agreement whenever that is, but in the meantime, maybe these guys could sign long term deals in Europe or something bad like that. Oh well, the sky is falling and I have to run for cover.

Rails 02-27-2005 01:31 PM

Eh, I think that they would have some sort of NHL release clause, but since NHL Owners are allowed to talk to players again, maybe Clarke is doing some behind the scenes talkins with the two.

Jester 02-27-2005 01:33 PM

it's a big mystery. who knows what is going to happen and the prospects are definitely going to be in a position to make some legal challenges if the new CBA controls them somehow. it could get messy if this doesn't get done soon.

Steve L* 02-28-2005 06:56 AM

Someone in the flyers organisation said the prospects have to be signed within 2 drafts and not 2 years. Without a CBA, there can be no draft so the Flyers cannot lose their rights.

When a new CBA is put in place, the teams will have a few weeks to sign their prospects before any draft.

emillie 02-28-2005 02:26 PM

Steve L: The problem there, at least for Flyer fans, is if Carter won't lose any NHL playing time and money, why wouldn't he opt to be a UFA?

bennysflyers16 02-28-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emillie
Steve L: The problem there, at least for Flyer fans, is if Carter won't lose any NHL playing time and money, why wouldn't he opt to be a UFA?


He will still be subject to a rookie minimum . I am sure Clarke has guaranteed them everything they will want, he would not gamble on these 2 players .

emillie 02-28-2005 03:30 PM

Bennysflyers16: He already did gamble on them. And because he'll be limited (at least we assume he will be) by a rookie salary cap other things may/will affect his choice. Another team may promise a better contract after his rookie one then the Flyers. He may want to play for his favorite team, the Leafs. He may want to take an oppertunity he may never get again and play with his favorite player (I dunno who that is, so I can't suggest a team). He may want to go to a team he see's as having a better chance of winning, like the Lightning or the Senators. He may want to go play with some other elite young talent like Healty/Kovalchuk with the Thrashers or Nash with the Blue Jackets. He may really want to stay in Canada, or want to go to Calary to play with Phanulf etc...

My point was just that, even if the Flyers are given an extended period to sign Carter when the new CBA is signed, unless not signing in that period would prevent him from playing in the NHL and earning money, what benefit is there to him to sign?

IronMarshal 02-28-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emillie
Bennysflyers16: He already did gamble on them. And because he'll be limited (at least we assume he will be) by a rookie salary cap other things may/will affect his choice. Another team may promise a better contract after his rookie one then the Flyers. He may want to play for his favorite team, the Leafs. He may want to take an oppertunity he may never get again and play with his favorite player (I dunno who that is, so I can't suggest a team). He may want to go to a team he see's as having a better chance of winning, like the Lightning or the Senators. He may want to go play with some other elite young talent like Healty/Kovalchuk with the Thrashers or Nash with the Blue Jackets. He may really want to stay in Canada, or want to go to Calary to play with Phanulf etc...

My point was just that, even if the Flyers are given an extended period to sign Carter when the new CBA is signed, unless not signing in that period would prevent him from playing in the NHL and earning money, what benefit is there to him to sign?

They may even be upset at not having been signed under the old agreement....and there are the agents :shakehead

bennysflyers16 02-28-2005 04:34 PM

If he is going to cry about not being signed under the old CBA, then I don't want that type of player ( We have had them). Clarke did not decide to sign them for the reason of saving $$$, when have the Flyers been known to cheap out for 200 k. ( assuming new rookie max is 850 k ) I beleive that BC was guaranteed to retain their rights and if there was even a 1 % chance of losing Carter or Richards, they would have been signed ! But then again, anything is possible !

emillie 02-28-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

beleive that BC was guaranteed to retain their rights and if there was even a 1 % chance of losing Carter or Richards, they would have been signed ! But then again, anything is possible !
I dunno about that, if such promises were made other teams like the Flames would have held out as well. And I'm 99% sure that the Flyers will get an extended time to sign Carter and Richards before they become UFA's, however the length of that time will have a huge effect on whether they sign or not without testing the UFA market.

Mess 03-16-2005 09:22 AM

DON'T WANT BETTMAN'S PRIDE TO SCREW UP DRAFT PICKS

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...62382-sun.html

VaFlyer 03-16-2005 10:32 AM

We will not lose any drafted players to UFA status. Where would they sign? There are 2 places these guys can go: WHA, which really isn't a large money maker at the moment, or Europe. The first team to go out and sign another team's prospect, will open up pandora's box. First, it will be deemed by the owners group as showing weakness in their negotiations. Second, every team will panic and try to sign as many guys as they can to contracts.

There will be no worry by me about this issue until a new CBA is in place which if the owners are smart they will include an ammendment that deals with the unsigned but already drafted players.

GKJ 03-16-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaFlyer
We will not lose any drafted players to UFA status. Where would they sign? There are 2 places these guys can go: WHA, which really isn't a large money maker at the moment, or Europe. The first team to go out and sign another team's prospect, will open up pandora's box. First, it will be deemed by the owners group as showing weakness in their negotiations. Second, every team will panic and try to sign as many guys as they can to contracts.

There will be no worry by me about this issue until a new CBA is in place which if the owners are smart they will include an ammendment that deals with the unsigned but already drafted players.


This is correct. Carter and Richards are going no where.


Al Alven said this somewhere before, he understands it that the Flyers hold the players' rights for 2 drafts and not 2 years.

IronMarshal 03-16-2005 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
This is correct. Carter and Richards are going no where.


Al Alven said this somewhere before, he understands it that the Flyers hold the players' rights for 2 drafts and not 2 years.

I hope he is right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.