HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1320671)

UsernameWasTaken 01-10-2013 09:58 PM

Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

1. Stick with Crawford - he'll bounce back
2. Assume Emery Will Become Our # 1
3. Wait for a Prospect to Be Ready (plz specify who)
4. Trade for a Goalie (plz specify who)
5. Sign a free agent Goalie (plz specify who)
6. Reconcile ourselves to the fact we're weak in goal and our strength will come from elsewhere
7. Other

Cullksinikers 01-10-2013 09:58 PM

Pursue a trade.

UsernameWasTaken 01-10-2013 10:02 PM

ok, poll up.

i'm saying just build around weak goal. when we won the cup it's not like neimi was a vezina candidate...and if you look at a team like detroit, they did fine w/ unimpressive goal.

i don't see any decent free agent goalies becoming available anytime soon...and re trade - i don't know what decent goalie will become available for a reasonable price.

Cullksinikers 01-10-2013 10:03 PM

Trade, Niemi ---- put that in the Kruger thread

Cullksinikers 01-10-2013 10:04 PM

Kane for Miller?

:laugh:

But I am not sure who will be available. A guy like Backstrom could be cheap and get part of his contract paid off by the Wild.

IU Hawks fan 01-10-2013 10:17 PM

See what CC does for now.

Ask me again in July.

UsernameWasTaken 01-10-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 57423523)
See what CC does for now.

Ask me again in July.

^^ this. i'm not in favour of doing anything drastic re a 48 game season.

while, as above, i think if goal fails we should square up elsewhere, i'm in favour of crawford getting the benefit of the doubt and more time to show us how good (or bad!) he actually is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 57422947)
Kane for Miller?

:laugh:

But I am not sure who will be available. A guy like Backstrom could be cheap and get part of his contract paid off by the Wild.

goalies are so hard to find that no one with anything decent is going to trade that guy...so, at best, we'll have to overpay for someone's sloppy seconds.

on the upside...this draft yr is fairly good for goalies...but even with that you're looking at what? a 5 yr wait?

Cullksinikers 01-10-2013 10:35 PM

I want a trade but Stan will hesitate. Cant win.

UsernameWasTaken 01-10-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorresForMVP (Post 57424217)
I want a trade but Stan will hesitate. Cant win.

raffi, please tell us all what trade you want stan to do.

Hawkaholic 01-10-2013 10:46 PM

Craig Anderson

UsernameWasTaken 01-10-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkaholic (Post 57424679)
Craig Anderson

i doubt he's the answer...but if he is...how exactly will we end up with him?

MTP 01-11-2013 12:24 AM

Trade for Backstrom (if Minnesota is looking to deal him; there's only one year @ 6m left on his contract) or Bernier (LA will have no reason to retain him since Quick is going to be their guy for the foreseeable future.

HockeySensible 01-11-2013 12:31 AM

Ugh, Bernier is definitely not the answer.

I'm in favour of either sticking with Crawford, seeing how he bounces back, or going out and getting Backstrom. He's a UFA and likely wouldn't cost much to get if Minny thinks they can ride Harding the rest of the season/playoffs.

EdgeR44 01-11-2013 12:41 AM

I think we're stuck with our current goaltending situation for a while. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Not all teams have great goaltending. We certainly don't.

Work on having a stronger, more reliable defense.

UsernameWasTaken 01-11-2013 12:41 AM

convince me that goal is all that important to the hawks internally? we won w/ neimi - and i get the sense that we're following the detroit model (particularly in light of the influence scott bowman seems have have).

i just don't see us making any goalie move at all.

Bring Back GLR 01-11-2013 01:05 AM

The Detroit model was strong 2 way play for forwards and defence men. Thing is look at the teams that won cups, they had great goalies as well. Vernon won the Conn Smythe in 97 and had won a Cup with Calgary already, Hasek had been all world for years and Osgood was pretty darn good to. It's not like they had Michael Leighton on those teams. So we very much need very solid goaltending and totally overall solid play from our team cuz were not the 2010 team where we just overwhelm teams with our sheer depth. We need Crawford to be at least 2010/11 Crawdaddy and no unless barring injury I doubt well see anybody new in the pipes this year. Even if Stan gets a screamer of a deal he'd be too scared to make a move and move those glorious prospects in fear of moving the wrong one.

UsernameWasTaken 01-11-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR (Post 57428573)
The Detroit model was strong 2 way play for forwards and defence men. Thing is look at the teams that won cups, they had great goalies as well. Vernon won the Conn Smythe in 97 and had won a Cup with Calgary already, Hasek had been all world for years and Osgood was pretty darn good to. It's not like they had Michael Leighton on those teams. So we very much need very solid goaltending and totally overall solid play from our team cuz were not the 2010 team where we just overwhelm teams with our sheer depth. We need Crawford to be at least 2010/11 Crawdaddy and no unless barring injury I doubt well see anybody new in the pipes this year. Even if Stan gets a screamer of a deal he'd be too scared to make a move and move those glorious prospects in fear of moving the wrong one.

yeah, but we still won in '10 with niemi. if we're going to whine over the hawks line up we can still win by filling other holes.

ClydeLee 01-11-2013 01:19 AM

The answer is play better team defense. The onus isn't just on the defense-men, it's a matter of better D or nothing else will save it in this limited season.

Sir Psycho T 01-11-2013 04:55 AM

I don't get how people keep saying Crawford will "bounce back". Bounce back to what? He rookie year in the NHL he wasn't the #1 guy so he had little pressure, he didn't play in half the games and teams hadn't figured him out yet. Enter his first year as the guy and poof.

Look at him and his career, this is a guy who at age 28 will be entering only his 2nd year as an NHL starter, Cam Ward also 28 will be entering his 7th year as a starer, MAF 28 his 7th year, and the list goes on. His career pro numbers including his AHL time are a .906 SV% and 2.82 GAA. What we saw last year was the rule not the exception, his rookie year was the exception and I don't expect to see it again.

I want the Hawks to explore a trade during the year, for who, I don't know who is and isn't available, but willing to bet if the Hawks actually tried and where willing to part with 1-2 of their prized prospects they could find a good goalie coming back, not an All-Star but someone who could push or take Crawfords job.

To me the biggest mistake was Emery, I don't think Crawford can repeat his rookie year but am willing to give him a chance, why the hell Emery was brought back is beyond me.

Sir Psycho T 01-11-2013 04:59 AM

People so quickly overlook Detroits goalies because they weren't all world. Vernon was good, Hasek is an all timer, and Osgood is one of the most underrated goalies in the NHL. All 3 are good-great goalies.

Plus the Detroit model worked great when there was no salary cap, when you could stockpile talent 10X over other teams. In todays NHL that won't happen, if there was no cap the Hawks bring back all those guys and this team goes on a dynasty type run, but in todays NHL that won't happen.

Bubba88 01-11-2013 05:41 AM

It's not that easy.

We start the year with option 1. Option 2 will not happen for sure. During the season, you look at option 4 and who is available and we are able to get. If nothing, you still go with option 1.
After the season, it's either option 1 worked out or you do option 4 or 5 and force to upgrade that position.

Never build your team to rely on a goalie prospect

BobbyJet 01-11-2013 08:11 AM

Unfortunately post #18 is probably the only option that makes sense. Crawford needs a bounce back season and Emery needs to be a solid back up in this condensed regular season. In the regular season, having 2 capable goalies will likely separate the haves from the have nots. Teams will be reluctant to trade away their #2 or even #3 goaltender until the trade deadline or next summer.

Possibly, we can make a deal at that time but team defence needs to (vastly) improve, and hopefully we can return to the puck possession days that brought us so much success in the past.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is if a team struggles coming out of the gate and decides to trade away a goalie. Stan would have to be on the ball though … so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

coldsteelonice84 01-11-2013 08:28 AM

Yeah, we need someone ASAP. Upgrade Emery now, then see if the other guy or Crawford takes over the job. If not, keep the better of the two, cap permitting and go out and get a legit starter.

Hawkaholic 01-11-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 57426051)
i doubt he's the answer...but if he is...how exactly will we end up with him?

Trade for him at the deadline when Ottawa realizes Lehner is the real deal and they aren't a playoff team.:)

EmeticDonut 01-11-2013 10:28 AM

Lehner has said he's not interested in a two-way deal anymore, so Ottawa needs to make a choice in who they are going to go forward with.