HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   All Time Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   How to determine the draft order? (Mod: random order wins) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1320849)

BenchBrawl 01-11-2013 10:38 AM

How to determine the draft order? (Mod: random order wins)

MOD: Poll will be open until Tuesday, January 15, but might be closed earlier if it gets lopsided.

Here's TDMM post about it.

Quote:

Now that the dust has settled, would anyone actually be interested in choosing their draft positions?

The idea was actually VI's originally a couple of years ago - PM someone (probably me) a list of your top 5 preferred draft positions and I'd try to get you as close to what you wanted as possible.

If 2 GMs pick the same position (which obviously would be the case for the more popular spots like 1st overall), I'd use a randomizer to determine the winner, then move on to the 2nd choice for the loser(s).

If a GM can't get one of his top 5 spots, he gets a randomly selected one.

Or would you guys want to wait and see whether we can make trades before deciding?

tony d 01-11-2013 10:42 AM

Option 1. The system has worked well in the past, why stop now?

TheDevilMadeMe 01-13-2013 12:10 AM

This poll is now open!

By the way jafar, thanks for posting it, even if it was a bit premature when you did.

TheDevilMadeMe 01-13-2013 12:12 AM

I was strongly in favor of picking our draft positions if the "no trade draft" won, but with almost unlimited trading allowed, it's not a big deal for me either way.

Nalyd Psycho 01-13-2013 01:48 AM

I dont care enough one way or another to vote. Neither method will hamper my enjoyment of the process.

Stoneberg 01-13-2013 02:10 AM

I'm also indifferent.

Reds4Life 01-13-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 57434663)
Option 1. The system has worked well in the past, why stop now?

Agreed.

ck26 01-13-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho (Post 57511597)
I dont care enough one way or another to vote. Neither method will hamper my enjoyment of the process.

This.

EagleBelfour 01-13-2013 07:58 AM

I like TDMM idea, but with the draft order already release, I would fill a bit guilty to accept this concept. Maybe next draft.

BenchBrawl 01-13-2013 08:01 AM

Wait a second , is the draft order done earlier this week still relevant?

I thought it wasn't official because we didn't decide yet.

EagleBelfour 01-13-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafar (Post 57515539)
Wait a second , is the draft order done earlier this week still relevant?

I thought it wasn't official because we didn't decide yet.

I thought it was still relevant. If it's not, then I would vote option1

vecens24 01-13-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleBelfour (Post 57515563)
I thought it was still relevant. If it's not, then I would vote option1

I was pretty sure it is not in any way relevant.

But I won't unilaterally decide that.

Sturminator 01-13-2013 12:21 PM

I think the consensus was that it was a throwout.

monster_bertuzzi 01-13-2013 12:55 PM

Just go with the order we have...

BenchBrawl 01-13-2013 01:07 PM

the last order wasn't official , it was done it in a very unofficial matter with nobody except VanI and the guy making the lottery aware that this was going on.Once we decide how the order is going to be organize , if the random options wins we should make an official one during a evening where everybody could be there watching for their spot to appear.

One of the good reason for this is to make sure everybody who is voting on random vs choice is doing so in the most objective way possible , without having a draft spot to reject or protect.If the previous order is maintained , it is more a ''do I want to keep my spot or not'' poll instead of a real system preferance.

monster_bertuzzi 01-13-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafar (Post 57526263)
the last order wasn't official , it was done it in a very unofficial matter with nobody except VanI and the guy making the lottery aware that this was going on.Once we decide how the order is going to be organize , if the random options wins we should make an official one during a evening where everybody could be there watching for their spot to appear.

One of the good reason for this is to make sure everybody who is voting on random vs choice is doing so in the most objective way possible , without having a draft spot to reject or protect.If the previous order is maintained , it is more a ''do I want to keep my spot or not'' poll instead of a real system preferance.

VanI may be a shaddy character, but Spitfire is trust worthy and that is a tottally random order.

BenchBrawl 01-13-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi (Post 57526827)
VanI may be a shaddy character, but Spitfire is trust worthy and that is a tottally random order.

You clearly missed my point entirely , I never doubted the honesty of Spitfire or even VanI (for the specific process of this year's draft order).

What I'm saying is if we have a vote on a draft order system while people know their draft order , they aren't choosing between the real options but between changing or keeping their current draft position , which destroys the purpose of the poll altogether.

vecens24 01-13-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafar (Post 57526263)

Yep, that's another good reason.

overpass 01-13-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafar (Post 57527083)
You clearly missed my point entirely , I never doubted the honesty of Spitfire or even VanI (for the specific process of this year's draft order).

What I'm saying is if we have a vote on a draft order system while people know their draft order , they aren't choosing between the real options but between changing or keeping their current draft position , which destroys the purpose of the poll altogether.

I agree. We're better off finalizing the rules before picking a draft order.

markrander87 01-13-2013 02:45 PM

So we are using the random draft order, but not what we already have posted??

vecens24 01-13-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrander87 (Post 57533333)
So we are using the random draft order, but not what we already have posted??

Looks to be the case. We're getting pretty close to having a consensus as far as using the random order.

markrander87 01-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 57533393)
Looks to be the case. We're getting pretty close to having a consensus as far as using the random order.

Why can't we have a vote to keep the already determined draft order??

vecens24 01-13-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrander87 (Post 57534141)
Why can't we have a vote to keep the already determined draft order??

I believe Jafar outlined a good reason above.

It was hastily done between two people had no real merit or mandate.

Should have had the rules outlined before enforcing a draft order.

I think there are clearly plenty of reasons why that order shouldn't mean anything.

tony d 01-13-2013 03:07 PM

Yeah, despite having the #1 pick if we stick with the current draft order; I'm all for us doing another random draft order should Option 1 win. As was said that order was done way to quick. Let's let this poll play out and then sometime early this week we'll do another random draft order and take things from there. While it means I may miss out on drafting Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky or whoever at least I'll know the draft order was done fairly.

markrander87 01-13-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 57534419)
I believe Jafar outlined a good reason above.

It was hastily done between two people had no real merit or mandate.

Should have had the rules outlined before enforcing a draft order.

I think there are clearly plenty of reasons why that order shouldn't mean anything.

Why can't we vote on it though? Nobody opposed it at the time? They did it the same way its done every year. I don't understand the "it was hastly done" arguement. It was the same as every year. Just create a vote?

If other gm's think it wasn't done properly they can vote to have a redo. Its the only fair option.