HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Attendance for opening night (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1321519)

IslesBeBack* 01-12-2013 10:22 AM

Attendance for opening night

I'm worried that the place barely breaks 12K. Lockout + only a week to sell so many seats + lack of a season ticket base because of the lockout has to mean that there will be close to nobody in the arena.

Or am I off base and the game will sell out?

How bad will it look if there's nobody in the building?

Or do you think we can get a nice crowd?

Thoughts?

I'm going with a shade over 11K, and that's if there's a big walkup.

Tavaresfan91 01-12-2013 10:35 AM

i believe it will be fairly packed especially since there playing the devils so you have to factor that in. Devil fans will want to come out for game one also and i believe it will be a sellout. Could be wrong but i believe it will be.

Bunk Moreland 01-12-2013 10:58 AM

There will be a good crowd.. Always is on opening night I'll be there I never miss it. Like the poster above said there will be quite a few NJD fans in the building.

Renbarg 01-12-2013 11:03 AM

If it was the Rangers its an easy sell out.

I'm not so sure about the Devils, even though you are looking at a good 2 to 3 thousand coming up here.

We'll see what type of promotion and sale tactics are used though.

Right now, I'm guessing 14Kish.

IslesRock4 01-12-2013 11:56 AM

I'm guessing they'll call it a "sell out" anyway. But I know I'm buying my ticket as soon as they are available.

TheIslesFan 01-12-2013 11:56 AM

i'll be there with a group of 10

Axe Man 01-12-2013 12:02 PM

3,490 of them devil fans

Volek25 01-12-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 (Post 57477993)

Same here...the building is never full so what's the difference now. I'm more concerned w getting a W and cheering our boys on!

Bunk Moreland 01-12-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 57477959)
I'm guessing they'll call it a "sell out" anyway. But I know I'm buying my ticket as soon as they are available.

Bingo.. If its close it'll be called a sellout

MJF 01-12-2013 03:37 PM

When was the last time they sold out opening night anyways?

Coming back from another lockout, leaving Nassau, and on the heels of last year's poor showing they'll be lucky if they get 13,000.

Gleb2006 01-12-2013 03:48 PM

When I was there last season for opening day the workers were saying it was sold out

Riseonfire 01-12-2013 03:50 PM

Don't really care if its a sellout. I honestly like it a little on the empty side. It allows me to move around the upper bowl and grab some really nice seats on the cheap.

Islander102 01-12-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJF (Post 57486151)

Coming back from another lockout, leaving Nassau, and on the heels of last year's poor showing they'll be lucky if they get 13,000.

The home opener was sold out in 2000,01,02,03,then lockout year, 05,07,08,09, and last year. 2007 and 2010 were the only openers that did not sell out since Wang bought the team.

JTforPres2012 01-12-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJF (Post 57486151)

If I recall correctly, they sold out opening night last year against Florida, and it was just a pathetic display on the Islanders' part.

bigbren92 01-12-2013 11:17 PM

I think it's easily a sellout. Saturday night vs the devils for opening night after people were deprived of hockey. No doubt in my mind, the place is going to be rocking :yo:

Drive 4 Five 01-14-2013 08:18 PM

Building will be packed. Nets and Knicks are both out of action that night. Jets and Giants are done, and AFC/NFC championship games are on Sunday. Rangers are out of town (not that this really matters). Plus, the influx of Devils fans are sure to push it to a sellout. Everyone I know is ecstatic about the start of the season. Fans have every right to complain about the lockout, but come Saturday night nobody will give a s*** anymore and it will be yesterday's news. Game on, and Lets go Islanders!

islesfan3991 01-14-2013 08:26 PM

Just went onto ticketmaster to get my tickets for Saturdays game. It looks like a lot of the seats have been sold already. Should easily be a sellout, if not, close to one.

Kevin27nyi 01-14-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 (Post 57491719)
If I recall correctly, they sold out opening night last year against Florida, and it was just a pathetic display on the Islanders' part.

Absolutely disgusting and foreshadowed how the season went.
Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 (Post 57477993)

I was originally going with 9, including me. Now it's 3. :shakehead

Technically that's who I talked to. Bought tickets with a group of 20ish (but 6 of my buddies backed out for various reasons).

Sucks but I'm still going to have a hell of a time. Home openers are usually great. Even last year where they dropped an egg, the crowd was electric in the beginning until the Isles bored everyone. Tailgating this year should be a blast.

19NYSports91 01-14-2013 10:02 PM

Student discount is pretty awesome. The tickets we got were $58, but with the student discount it knocked down the price to $48.

seawolves 01-14-2013 10:13 PM

Got seats in 101 so at least for 2 periods I'll see all the action! :sarcasm:

Isles Junkie 01-14-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riseonfire (Post 57486807)
Don't really care if its a sellout. I honestly like it a little on the empty side. It allows me to move around the upper bowl and grab some really nice seats on the cheap.

it also means the team is still horrible. so how much can you really like it?

I admit I don't do my part in terms of going to enough games. But it really bothers me how empty the arena is so often. and it really bugs me how opposing fans show up in big #s to seemingly every game.

Isles really have no one to blame but themself, but it still ticks me off.

HammyNyIslesCupCrazy 01-14-2013 11:05 PM

8 of us are going section 223

Poulin 0n My St1ck 01-14-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle Junkie (Post 57610339)
it also means the team is still horrible. so how much can you really like it?

I admit I don't do my part in terms of going to enough games. But it really bothers me how empty the arena is so often. and it really bugs me how opposing fans show up in big #s to seemingly every game.

Isles really have no one to blame but themself, but it still ticks me off.

Yes. 100%. Last season there were Flyers fans heckling Islanders fans at our own ****ing arena. That's pathetic and bothers the ever-loving **** out of me, but it's Wang's fault. The fans have to deal with that **** but he makes a dime off visiting fans so no biggie. Can't imagine how our players feel about that.

On my 21st last year, I could've went into the city, gotten bombed and had a good time, but I went to the Isles game where Bruins fans outnumbered us, and had to witness the Isles getting bent over 6-0. Worst birthday ever.

I wish there was a full-season lockout to spare me the frustration of another lottery season. Feels like...Groundhog's Day...

IslesBeBack* 01-14-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbren92 (Post 57508877)
I think it's easily a sellout. Saturday night vs the devils for opening night after people were deprived of hockey. No doubt in my mind, the place is going to be rocking :yo:

We know how well the Islanders do when the building is packed and rocking.

See: Florida Panthers looking like the 1980 Edmonton Oilers last home opener.

Bones45 01-15-2013 08:30 AM

Hate to be the bearer of reality here, but I wouldn't expect a good game.. (and Ill avoid ripping on the devils here)...

All teams are going to be a bit of a wreck the first week or so, obviously due to the lack of cohesiveness as a team and minimal playing/practice time. And I suppose that the strength and conditioning of a player could come into play. Who knows how in shape guys are.

I'm not going to the opener, but if I was, I wouldn't get my hopes up to see an action packed, high energy game. I would think that cautious and methodical would be two words for the type of play.

Of course, we still could win -- actually have a better chance of winning under these conditions, but I would expect a bit of a ****show.