HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: B. Morrow to Pittsburgh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1321791)

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:11 PM

B. Morrow to Pittsburgh
 
I can't think of a return that wouldn't get shot down here right away, but I have a gut feeling the Pens could trade for Morrow before the deadline.

The two teams have dealt with each other recently, Morrow had a bad season last year, and the Malkin line thrived with Kunitz on it but now he's gone back to Sid. I figure Morrow could replace some of what Kunitz brought to that line, even if injuries have taken a toll on him.

piqued 01-12-2013 06:18 PM

He should be available. Throw out some returns.

It'll be interesting to see what he looks like when the season starts. He's supposedly healthy right now but I'm not really buying it. He's slated to play on the 3rd line for now.

StarsFan74 01-12-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 57493047)
I can't think of a return that wouldn't get shot down here right away, but I have a gut feeling the Pens could trade for Morrow before the deadline.

The two teams have dealt with each other recently, Morrow had a bad season last year, and the Malkin line thrived with Kunitz on it but now he's gone back to Sid. I figure Morrow could replace some of what Kunitz brought to that line, even if injuries have taken a toll on him.

Most likely a prospect (our Morrow for your Morrow? I don't know). If we are in a playoff position though, it's not happening....regardless of how he's performing. Morrow controls his fate with the NTC, after all.

Kershaw 01-12-2013 06:22 PM

Morrow for Morrow.

Cliff O Malley 01-12-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortorella (Post 57493521)
Morrow for Morrow.

Yep. Obvious and reasonable. As a pens fan I would be okayish with that.

Ogi1Kenobi 01-12-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 57493047)
I can't think of a return that wouldn't get shot down here right away, but I have a gut feeling the Pens could trade for Morrow before the deadline.

The two teams have dealt with each other recently, Morrow had a bad season last year, and the Malkin line thrived with Kunitz on it but now he's gone back to Sid. I figure Morrow could replace some of what Kunitz brought to that line, even if injuries have taken a toll on him.

He's been battling back injuries all season last year. The coach says he's back to 100%, but who knows what the story is with Morrow. He's either really motivated to get going or really bored and felt the need to say something.

If Dallas is battling for a playoff spot, I doubt GMJN trades him. If the Stars are long gone by the deadline, any team can acquire him. Depending on his play this season will determine what he's worth.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Wandell
Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt

I can see Nystrom, Jagr, Ryder and Morrow on the trading block if Dallas is gone by the deadline.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsFan74 (Post 57493383)
Most likely a prospect (our Morrow for your Morrow? I don't know). If we are in a playoff position though, it's not happening....regardless of how he's performing. Morrow controls his fate with the NTC, after all.

Can't imagine BM would yield a 1st rounder after the year he just had. I wouldn't agree to it.

Maybe something around Kennedy or Tangradi (if they're trying to save cash) or Martin (if they don't mind spending cash)?

BigBenSF* 01-12-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff O Malley (Post 57493649)
Yep. Obvious and reasonable. As a pens fan I would be okayish with that.

I sure as hell wouldn't.

LatvianTwist 01-12-2013 06:30 PM

Morrow for one of your d specs, assuming Morrow proves he's a top 6 guy again and we have a youngster who can fill his spot on the 3rd line.

Morrow for Morrow actually sounds decent, I'd be willing to add quite a bit as well.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:30 PM

Do people really think Morrow would get a 1st at this point? I dunno, that sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

Ogi1Kenobi 01-12-2013 06:31 PM

I think the poster for Morrow for Morrow was being sarcastic. There's no way the Penguins do that trade.

Vankiller Whale 01-12-2013 06:31 PM

I find it a little strange that a team that acquired two solid vets via UFA would start selling off players as rentals. If Dallas wasn't looking to make a spash in the playoffs,why sign them in the first place?

Ogi1Kenobi 01-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 57493903)
Do people really think Morrow would get a 1st at this point? I dunno, that sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

When teams a desperate, they tend to do stupid things. I agree that a 1st for Morrow at this stage of his career is unreasonable.

StarsFan74 01-12-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 57493781)
Ah, don't see that happening. Can't imagine BM would yield a 1st rounder after the year he just had.

Maybe something around Kennedy or Tangradi (if they're trying to save cash) or Martin (if they don't mind spending cash)?

I did say "I don't know" but, seeing as you'll be trading for him based on *this* season (and possibly beyond) and not the 2011-12 one and the fact that a prospect was a 1st rounder is truly inconsequential. A good prospect is a good prospect, no matter which round he was picked in.

From our perspective, if Morrow bounces back with good stats and we're still sure to miss a playoff spot, we're going to ask for somewhat of a premium in return for *our captain*- please don't forget that. If it's Joe Morrow, Despres, Tangradi, ____________(insert name) is immaterial. If you'd want him at that juncture under such conditions, we'd expect a good return and it's most likely a good prospect or a young roster player, which negates Martin (no, thanks).

LatvianTwist 01-12-2013 06:36 PM

Crazier deals have happened. Worse players have pulled better returns.

DavidBL 01-12-2013 06:36 PM

I don't want to thread hijack but what about a Lydman BM swap for Anaheim and Dallas? Problem I see with Pit is don't both Kunitz and Neal play LW as does BM? or does BM play RW as well.

StarsFan74 01-12-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidBL (Post 57494231)
I don't want to thread hijack but what about a Lydman BM swap for Anaheim and Dallas? Problem I see with Pit is don't both Kunitz and Neal play LW as does BM? or does BM play RW as well.

Not within the division (for as long as we're division rivals, that is). Sorry.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi (Post 57494051)
When teams a desperate, they tend to do stupid things. I agree that a 1st for Morrow at this stage of his career is unreasonable.

If Morrow's only going to be used on the 3rd line at this point, I would think something centered around Kennedy and draft pick could work. TK can thrive in a 3rd line puck pursuit role and put up .5 PPG at half Morrow's price...he just doesn't really have the offensive IQ or creativity to make plays on a scoring line.

MichiganWolverines 01-12-2013 06:42 PM

Brendan Morrow for Tyler Kennedy + Ben Lovejoy + 3rd round draft pick

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsFan74 (Post 57494183)
I did say "I don't know" but, seeing as you'll be trading for him based on *this* season (and possibly beyond) and not the 2011-12 one and the fact that a prospect was a 1st rounder is truly inconsequential. A good prospect is a good prospect, no matter which round he was picked in.

From our perspective, if Morrow bounces back with good stats and we're still sure to miss a playoff spot, we're going to ask for somewhat of a premium in return for *our captain*- please don't forget that. If it's Joe Morrow, Despres, Tangradi, ____________(insert name) is immaterial. If you'd want him at that juncture under such conditions, we'd expect a good return and it's most likely a good prospect or a young roster player, which negates Martin (no, thanks).

Well, if that happened, then of course his services would be at a premium. But we can only work with what we know now.

I mean, I could wax about what return my Pens could get for Martin if he returned to form, but that wouldn't get me very far, would it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidBL (Post 57494231)
I don't want to thread hijack but what about a Lydman BM swap for Anaheim and Dallas? Problem I see with Pit is don't both Kunitz and Neal play LW as does BM? or does BM play RW as well.

Contrary to what a lot of outdated websites have him listed as, Neal has played RW exclusively since coming to Pittsburgh.

piqued 01-12-2013 06:44 PM

Stars would likely want prospects for Morrow, not NHLers. Morrow would be replaced in the NHL lineup by Vincour/Wandell/R. Smith.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued (Post 57494557)
Stars would likely want prospects for Morrow, not NHLers. Morrow would be replaced in the NHL lineup by Vincour/Wandell/R. Smith.

Fair enough. Something like Tangradi and a draft pick/Strait/Bortuzzo?

Ogi1Kenobi 01-12-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 57494315)
If Morrow's only going to be used on the 3rd line at this point, I would think something centered around Kennedy and draft pick could work. TK can thrive in a 3rd line puck pursuit role and put up .5 PPG at half Morrow's price...he just doesn't really have the offensive IQ or creativity to make plays on a scoring line.

Morrow is playing on the third because he's more suited to a checking role than Whitney. I believe he can still play in an offensive role, but Dallas has more offense than last season so Morrow is the odd man out. Also, the Whitney-Roy-Ryder line looks like a defensive liability.

MichiganWolverines 01-12-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 57494817)
Fair enough. Something like Tangradi and a draft pick/Strait/Bortuzzo?

Give them Tom Kühnhackl.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 01-12-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi (Post 57494935)
Morrow is playing on the third because he's more suited to a checking role than Whitney. I believe he can still play in an offensive role, but Dallas has more offense than last season so Morrow is the odd man out. Also, the Whitney-Roy-Ryder line looks like a defensive liability.

Right...I'm not saying Morrow couldn't be useful in a scoring line role somewhere (that's why I'd like to see if he can rekindle his game in Pittsburgh). I'm only saying that if that's the role he'd have in Dallas, then Kennedy could be a useful replacement as it's a role he's shown he can succeed in. But as was pointed out earlier, you seem to have some options in-house so that might not appeal to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines (Post 57494981)
Give them Tom Kühnhackl.

I don't think the Kuhn's recent production or injury history is too appealing to any potential trade partner right now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.