HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NBC to broadcast 70 games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322191)

LadyStanley 01-13-2013 09:07 AM

NBC to broadcast 70 games

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-season-games/

OTA 'casts. Nice

Leo W 01-13-2013 09:15 AM

Beautiful! I'm confused as to the first day though... Are they going to be showing the banner raising and then switch over to Pittsburgh-Philly?

Pyro Kinesis 01-13-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Washington (Post 57517969)
Beautiful! I'm confused as to the first day though... Are they going to be showing the banner raising and then switch over to Pittsburgh-Philly?

It's clearly listed first, so yes.

jkrdevil 01-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

If you live in a region that will get Pitt-Philly yes.

LadyStanley 01-13-2013 01:21 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5259--nhl.html

Puck Daddy ranks winners/losers for NBC Sports coverage.

Hockey Team 01-13-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 57531633)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5259--nhl.html

Puck Daddy ranks winners/losers for NBC Sports coverage.

No surprises here.

Nobody wants to watch teams like carolina / edmonton play, not sure why they're calling edmonton not getting any games on VS a "problem." The only "problem" here is the ratings for that game would suck, so they don't show it.

Zestfule 01-13-2013 03:26 PM

New Jersey - Boston on Rivalry Wednesday? :p

PatriceBergeronFan 01-13-2013 04:22 PM

People sure want to watch Pitt, Flyers, and NJ....

That's alright, I prefer NESN to NBC by far so thank you for cutting back our national games. Still too many, however. Those 7:30 start times are annoying.

NJDevils7 01-13-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zestfule (Post 57540977)
New Jersey - Boston on Rivalry Wednesday? :p

That's what I was thinking...wouldn't consider Devils Bruins a rivalry at all.

Taro Tsujimoto 01-13-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJDevils7 (Post 57544175)
That's what I was thinking...wouldn't consider Devils Bruins a rivalry at all.

Yeah. CHI/MIN, STL/COL, COL/CHI, MIN/DET, and LA/DET could be debatable, too.

sh724 01-13-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto (Post 57545957)
Yeah. CHI/MIN, STL/COL, COL/CHI, MIN/DET, and LA/DET could be debatable, too.

When I read the Blues had 2 'rivalry night' games I thought it would be DET and CHI never thought of COL as a rival for STL

knorthern knight 01-14-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 57517647)

Some mis-understanding, I think. From the article...
Quote:

The NBC Sports Group will air 70 NHL regular-season games across NBC and NBC Sports Network this season.
That reads like 70 games combined OTA and cable broadcasts. I count approx 15 OTA games (NBC) in the article. The rest are on NBCSN. Easy to miss the extra 2 letters in the acronym.

1970 01-14-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

NBC's coverage begins at 3pm, and soon there after the entire nation will see the banner presentation. At 325pm, half the nation will be cut to Flyers/Pens while the other half will remain with Kings/Hawks.

LaxSabre 01-14-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970 (Post 57567279)
At 325pm, half the nation will be cut to Flyers/Pens while the other half will remain with Kings/Hawks.

Actually the schedule is this - 3:00 pm ET - everyone gets to see the banner ceremony. 3:25 pm ET - puckdrop of Kings-Blackhawks - everyone sees this. 3:35 pm ET - Flyers-Pens viewers will be switched to their game for their puckdrop - Kings-Blackhawks viewers stay with their game.

So this will be like what NBC does on Hockey Day In America - staggered starting times where some viewers will see some action (10 mins or so) of other games before switching to their game. In this case its just two games and not the usual three games that HDIA showed in years past. (This year for HDIA on Feb 17 however there will be no staggered starts as NBC is only showing two games - 12:30 pm ET-Sabres-Pens and 3:30 pm ET-Blackhawks-Kings.)

Drake1588 01-15-2013 08:34 AM

Love that network television is covering games.

Hate that they will only deign to air them early in the day.

I just can't get used to pro hockey at 12:30pm. It's especially galling in the playoffs. Saturday night is for hockey.

LadyStanley 01-15-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 57619945)
I just can't get used to pro hockey at 12:30pm. It's especially galling in the playoffs. Saturday night is for hockey.

Even worse at 9:30am. :sarcasm:

(I rarely watch Sunday morning games in California as I'm usually not available. If I wanted to watch, I'd probably miss the first part as I'm coming in from church, or just heading out to participate in later service.)

Leo W 01-15-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaxSabre (Post 57574967)
Actually the schedule is this - 3:00 pm ET - everyone gets to see the banner ceremony. 3:25 pm ET - puckdrop of Kings-Blackhawks - everyone sees this. 3:35 pm ET - Flyers-Pens viewers will be switched to their game for their puckdrop - Kings-Blackhawks viewers stay with their game.

So this will be like what NBC does on Hockey Day In America - staggered starting times where some viewers will see some action (10 mins or so) of other games before switching to their game. In this case its just two games and not the usual three games that HDIA showed in years past. (This year for HDIA on Feb 17 however there will be no staggered starts as NBC is only showing two games - 12:30 pm ET-Sabres-Pens and 3:30 pm ET-Blackhawks-Kings.)

Great, I'm from Buffalo but am a Kings fan so I won't get to catch the game sadly. :( Because I'm not exactly sure if FSW is going to broadcast the game on Center Ice.

IU Hawks fan 01-15-2013 11:54 AM

Saw somewhere on twitter earlier that NBCSports.com is going to stream both games, so anyone can watch the 1 they aren't getting.

SJSharksfan39 01-15-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 57627643)
Saw somewhere on twitter earlier that NBCSports.com is going to stream both games, so anyone can watch the 1 they aren't getting.

I wish they could stream the NBC Sports Network games too. Just add them to the ratings of the network, since they do want hits to the website too.

IU Hawks fan 01-15-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkie551 (Post 57629461)
I wish they could stream the NBC Sports Network games too. Just add them to the ratings of the network, since they do want hits to the website too.

They could only do that if you had to sign in on their site through your TV provider. Not fair to the cable/sat companies if you could get those games free.

Hockey Team 01-15-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 57629851)
They could only do that if you had to sign in on their site through your TV provider. Not fair to the cable/sat companies if you could get those games free.

That would depend on the agreement between the network and the TV providers. There's no "fairness" issue here, unless the network has an agreement with the TV providers on how the content is treated, they're free to do whatever they want with their content.

TV providers pay a fee to the network per customer that gets the network (which you pay for, obviously). I don't think there's any kind of exclusivity included in that agreement.

IU Hawks fan 01-15-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 57630453)
That would depend on the agreement between the network and the TV providers. There's no "fairness" issue here, unless the network has an agreement with the TV providers on how the content is treated, they're free to do whatever they want with their content.

TV providers pay a fee to the network per customer that gets the network (which you pay for, obviously). I don't think there's any kind of exclusivity included in that agreement.

Fine, let me rephrase what I said so as to not be nitpicked for 1 word you didn't like.

Channels, say NBCSN, make the majority of their money through subscriber fees, not advertising. So they aren't going to give out their games free, they want you paying a cable/sat provider to get the channel. They aren't going to give up their content for free, it makes zero sense for them too.

Better?

Cawz 01-15-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 57532055)
No surprises here.

Nobody wants to watch teams like carolina / edmonton play, not sure why they're calling edmonton not getting any games on VS a "problem." The only "problem" here is the ratings for that game would suck, so they don't show it.

What kind of hockey fan wouldnt want to watch the Oilers lately? Regional fans aside, they should be one of the draws, for the reason that the article laments about. They play one of the most entertaining games in the league

Not that I care since I get all the games, but the writers of the article obviously want to see the Oilers. What kind of neutral fan wouldnt want to watch the Oilers over, say, defensive-minded St.Louis.

But NBC is obviously catering to the American fan. Which is expected. But I can see why the article is complaining about that. They are missing out on some entertaining hockey.

jhopspensfan 01-15-2013 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=LaxSabre;57574967]Actually the schedule is this - 3:00 pm ET - everyone gets to see the banner ceremony. 3:25 pm ET - puckdrop of Kings-Blackhawks - everyone sees this. 3:35 pm ET - Flyers-Pens viewers will be switched to their game for their puckdrop - Kings-Blackhawks viewers stay with their game.

This seems to be the consensus from what I have read. And I think it absolutely sucks.

a) NBC won't put its coverage map out there to show which areas are going to get what game, i.e. "Regional" coverage which is pathetic; and

b) Years ago, when FOX and ABC had weekend games (there were 3 games which started at the same time), there was regional coverage. BUT, if the game you wanted to see was not being shown in your regions, you could find the other 2 games on Center Ice.

There are a lot of hockey fans that don't live near the City where there hockey team is located. Given the disaster that was the last lockout, you would think that any Center Ice subscriber in any location could see whatever game they wanted to see on at least one channel (I understand blackouts).

Hockey Team 01-15-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 57630673)
Fine, let me rephrase what I said so as to not be nitpicked for 1 word you didn't like.

Channels, say NBCSN, make the majority of their money through subscriber fees, not advertising. So they aren't going to give out their games free, they want you paying a cable/sat provider to get the channel. They aren't going to give up their content for free, it makes zero sense for them too.

Better?

You said it's not fair to the TV providers.. the TV providers don't care at all about what NBC does w/ their content. Now you're making a completely different argument.