HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Anthony Stewart, picks to LA for Kevin Westgarth (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322285)

DaveG 01-13-2013 11:16 AM

Anthony Stewart, picks to LA for Kevin Westgarth
 
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650136

Canes send Anthony Stewart, 2013 4th, and 2014 6th

bilpeto 01-13-2013 11:17 AM

Damn you're fast, Dave. I figured I'd start the thread, but you beast-moded that one.

Gr8Dan 01-13-2013 11:18 AM

He was already skating all lockout here, just change the uni lol

Novacane 01-13-2013 11:18 AM

I like it. Don't think the 4th rounder was necessary, but like getting rid of Stewart and adding Westgarth.

Surrounded By Ahos 01-13-2013 11:19 AM

I'll miss you Humpy Dawg!


not really

DaveG 01-13-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PublicEnemy (Post 57523315)
Damn you're fast, Dave. I figured I'd start the thread, but you beast-moded that one.

Haha, yeah, only way a jumped on that one was because I was reading the Ellis release to figure out if it mentions it's pro-rated and bam, new link on the right side saying "Canes acquire Kevin Westgarth"

posted it in here even before it hit any of the twitterwebs :laugh:

w e l o s t b o y s 01-13-2013 11:23 AM

Why do we have to add to these deals? Like I understand it's not much to ***** about, Alt may not ever play in the NHL and a 4th and a 6th aren't going to get great talent, but it just makes no sense.

bilpeto 01-13-2013 11:24 AM

*Goes to check out Westgarth's fights*

DaveG 01-13-2013 11:27 AM

Not sure why we added two picks instead of one, but this one actually makes sense. Canes save almost 200K in cap and a quarter million real dollars to ditch a useless player for someone that actually fills a roster need.

Interestingly Westgarth is Bill Cowher's stepson (cue up the Cowher to coach Carolina Panthers rumors yet again :sarcasm:)

halleJOKEL 01-13-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart (Post 57523405)
I'll miss you Humpy Dawg!


not really

Wasn't Peters humpy dawg?

Anton Dubinchuk 01-13-2013 11:27 AM

Our toughest player in years.

Great deal. Also agreed that the 4th kinda sucks, but we desperately need Westgarth.

Oenatzu 01-13-2013 11:28 AM

If this deal does nothing else at least the average IQ of the team just went up :laugh:

Lazyking 01-13-2013 11:29 AM

A Stew as a person is awesome.. he just thanked the canes the fans for his time here..

As a player, he only showed flashes of what he should be. Too bad it didn't work out.

DaveG 01-13-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazyking (Post 57524003)
A Stew as a person is awesome.. he just thanked the canes the fans for his time here..

As a player, he only showed flashes of what he should be. Too bad it didn't work out.

Yep, the personality Eh Stew was outright hilarious. But he's just never been able to put it together in the NHL for whatever reason.

Joe McGrath 01-13-2013 11:37 AM

Name a JR fourth or sixth round pick who has ever amounted to anything. I don't think there has been any, so the picks are of little to no value to the Canes IMO. All they usually do is fill the quota of Compuware/Plymouth guys they have to draft in a given year.

Lazyking 01-13-2013 11:38 AM

I think his physical ability far outweighs his desire. Their would be games last year where he would get a chance, play well and then get lazy again.

Novacane 01-13-2013 11:40 AM

Sending the 4th round pick was JR's way of building in a little nap time on the marathon Draft Day.

DaveG 01-13-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe McGrath (Post 57524437)
Name a JR fourth or sixth round pick who has ever amounted to anything.

Sami Kapanen, Josef Vasicek, Nic Wallin

Anton Dubinchuk 01-13-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 57524685)
Sami Kapanen, Josef Vasicek, Nic Wallin

We just traded Anthony Stewart, Nic Wallin, and Sami Kapanen for Kevin Westgarth.

Overpayment, fire JR.

Joe McGrath 01-13-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 57524685)
Sami Kapanen, Josef Vasicek, Nic Wallin

I suppose I should have said this millennium.....I knew I did this research before, but forgot I only did it as far back as 2001.

Identity404 01-13-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 57523867)
Not sure why we added two picks instead of one, but this one actually makes sense. Canes save almost 200K in cap and a quarter million real dollars to ditch a useless player for someone that actually fills a roster need.

Interestingly Westgarth is Bill Cowher's stepson (cue up the Cowher to coach Carolina Panthers rumors yet again :sarcasm:)

I think you mean son-in-law.

I think this and Boucher are the deals that JR said may look kind of odd, but will serve a purpose during one of his pressers. I wouldn't be shocked to see one more guy shipped out to make room for another Checker. Nodl perhaps? I was scratching my head last year when we picked him up. It would fit JR to overpay now to trade him out of here.

Joe Pesce 01-13-2013 11:52 AM

It's official, JR has lost his mind.

bleedgreen 01-13-2013 11:52 AM

Like I mentioned in the other thread, standard jr to add picks or prospects to trades that don't seem to need it. Good to clear out stew and get a guy clearly designed for the fourth line.

Thought Blanchard was supposed to get a look at that role at some point.

Wasn't cole a 4th as well?

DaveG 01-13-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Identity404 (Post 57525143)
I think you mean son-in-law.

I think this and Boucher are the deals that JR said may look kind of odd, but will serve a purpose during one of his pressers. I wouldn't be shocked to see one more guy shipped out to make room for another Checker. Nodl perhaps? I was scratching my head last year when we picked him up. It would fit JR to overpay now to trade him out of here.

Yep, Son in law, not stepson. Mixed that one up somehow. Point still stands though, Cowher to Carolina Panthers (E5)

What the Faulk 01-13-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyduck (Post 57525305)
It's official, JR has lost his mind.

Hockey's Future, where late round draft picks are ALWAYS the most important part of any deal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.