HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Rumor: YLE [FIN]: Selanne to retire after this season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322395)

jaeger 01-13-2013 12:53 PM

YLE [FIN]: Selanne to retire after this season
 
It was the number one headline in YLE sports news. YLE is the most reliable source in Finnish media.

Selanne himself didn't have any comments there but the guy who takes care all of his stuff confirmed it.

Spicy Porkins 01-13-2013 01:01 PM

I'd bet "the guy who takes care of all his stuff" has been making the same preparations every year for the past 5 years or so.

Kalvinators 01-13-2013 01:04 PM

Who is this Teemu guy, who retires each year?

On a serious note, i could see it him doing that :/

bumperkisser 01-13-2013 01:14 PM

sure. i could see it happen. but to have this "rumour" released now is odd.. prior to the start of a shortened season theres already news about his retirement at the end of the season? we know teemu likes to decide after the season is over, but sure. at the age of 42 he could definitely retire this season.

mightyquack 01-13-2013 01:44 PM

I'd expect him to.

But I'll wait to see what Teemu has to say first.

DuckJet 01-13-2013 02:03 PM

Last thing I heard was Teemu saying "we're not there yet, I'm not thinking about it right now, I'm thinking about the season" probably twitter.

It's probably true but...then again this is Teemu. You just never know any more. I've been enjoying every year like it's his last year since he won the cup.

Ducksgo* 01-13-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyquack (Post 57533301)
I'd expect him to.

But I'll wait to see what Teemu has to say first.

Yah I expected this as well. Wouldn't be shocked if Koivu follows suit.

TAnnala 01-13-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 57534365)
Last thing I heard was Teemu saying "we're not there yet, I'm not thinking about it right now, I'm thinking about the season" probably twitter.

It's probably true but...then again this is Teemu. You just never know any more. I've been enjoying every year like it's his last year since he won the cup.

I agree, never know.

Crazy to think about that the Cup was 6 years a go. I felt then that Teemu was done, gladly i have been wrong.

DuckJet 01-13-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAnnala (Post 57534917)
I agree, never know.

Crazy to think about that the Cup was 6 years a go. I felt then that Teemu was done, gladly i have been wrong.

We've been spoiled.

I've had the pleasure of watching him play my entire life. I thank him for sticking around long enough for me to become an adult and then some.

RPGrizzly 01-13-2013 02:33 PM

What is this buzzkill... I'd like to have a word with "the guy who takes care of all his stuff." I thought that was Jason Blake's job.

I won't believe anything until Teemu announces it. Even then I won't believe him :laugh:

Lapa 01-13-2013 02:39 PM

If I remember right, he said in another interview something like this:
"Is this my last season? Sure it is, like it has been for a few years."

Or something like that.

Edit. Ah, found it. http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...nen-kausi-eiko (Finnish)

Quote:

Selšnne was asked if he will approach the new season differently compared to last few seasons.

-This is my last season, right? Of course it is, like always, Selšnne laughed at himself.
I can translate the rest too if you want to.

toewsintangibles 01-13-2013 03:06 PM

The only confirmed thing about this article was he has accepted a book deal about his career that's supposed to release next autumn

Lapa 01-13-2013 03:07 PM

Yeah, I think he hasn't confirmed anything yet.

roto 01-13-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaeger (Post 57529565)
It was the number one headline in YLE sports news. YLE is the most reliable source in Finnish media.

Selanne himself didn't have any comments there but the guy who takes care all of his stuff confirmed it.

Did you actually read the news article? "The guy who takes care of all his stuff" only confirmed that a book about Selšnne is coming. He specifically say that he won't speculate whether Teemu is going to retire or not. All this speculation rumors started because of that book. Even though YLE is above average in reliability in general, this article is pure speculation and almost tabloid stuff.

Link to the article of YLE: http://yle.fi/urheilu/teemu_selantee...vaalla/6449080

jaeger 01-13-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roto (Post 57539537)
Did you actually read the news article? "The guy who takes care of all his stuff" only confirmed that a book about Selšnne is coming. He specifically say that he won't speculate whether Teemu is going to retire or not. All this speculation rumors started because of that book. Even though YLE is above average in reliability in general, this article is pure speculation and almost tabloid stuff.

Link to the article of YLE: http://yle.fi/urheilu/teemu_selantee...vaalla/6449080

There was no news article to read when I posted this. It was from the TV sports news.

roto 01-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaeger (Post 57540719)
There was no news article to read when I posted this. It was from the TV sports news.

Ok, sorry. It makes YLE even more guilty. Teemu has said many times that he'll play as long as he enjoys playing. It's annoying how media is trying to make stupid conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised if Teemu continues one more year. It's olympic year which might be one additional reason to continue.

Lapa 01-13-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaeger (Post 57540719)
There was no news article to read when I posted this. It was from the TV sports news.

There is one now on YLE text-tv.

A rough translation below.

Quote:

According to information acquired by YLE Sports, Teemu Selšnne will retire after this year's shortened season.

Publishing company Otava has made a contract to publish a book about Selšnne's career. It will be published next fall, and B2B sales of the book have already begun.

The book has been in the making for years, but Selšnne hasn't been ready to commit to making the book until now.

Selšnne has said numerous times that the book won't be published until his hockey career is over. The 42-year-old Selšnne has been playing in the NHL since 1992.

snarktacular 01-13-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roto (Post 57542103)
Ok, sorry. It makes YLE even more guilty. Teemu has said many times that he'll play as long as he enjoys playing. It's annoying how media is trying to make stupid conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised if Teemu continues one more year. It's olympic year which might be one additional reason to continue.

I feel like Selanne DID say he was retiring from Olympic competition.

justheducks 01-13-2013 05:50 PM

Saw the same type of article 5 years ago.
If he plays injury free and can put up 20 goals and 35-40 points I can see him coming back depending on how he feels after the season.

Selanne138 01-13-2013 06:03 PM

I feel like we've seen this story every year for the past 5 years.

Beginning of Season: "Its probably my last year"

End Of Season: "I need some time away from the rink to think about the future"

July: "When you feel like you can't still keep up with the young guys and you don't have fun at the rink anymore I think it's time to call it quits, but I'm not at that point yet. ONE MORE YEAR."

When Teemu has a press conference saying I am retiring, then we can believe it. And even then, I still probably wont.

Corey Perry* 01-13-2013 08:36 PM

It will take me at least a year after he stops playing to convince me that he's actually done for good.

Unholy 01-13-2013 09:13 PM

Getzlaf gets a stick from Teemu each year he says he is going to retire. Wonder where he keeps them all :laugh:

Gonna be sad when it finally happens and he doesn't come back.

phamJET 01-14-2013 02:47 PM

If teemu plays a injury free season and puts up decent numbers, he will not retire.

If the ducks win the cup this season, he might.

QnebO 01-15-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarktacular (Post 57543899)
I feel like Selanne DID say he was retiring from Olympic competition.

I feel like he said already 5 times that "last season" thing.


SURE, hes mentality will be that this is the last season, and it might also be it. But, if he's in good condition after the season, does have fun this season, and still has the motivation, I bet there still is the possibility that it isn't the last season after all.


Same goes to Olympics. This discussion doesn't even make sense at this point.. Better to discus after the season

http://static.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko...11111LM_jk.jpg
"Last season"

FiLe 01-15-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QnebO (Post 57624803)
I feel like he said already 5 times that "last season" thing.

It's been the same story since the Ducks won the Cup in 2007. From NT, he apparently "retired" after Turin. So yeah, "never say never" is a statement that definitely holds true with Selšnne.

Just don't run yourself to the ground, Teemu. Remember that quitting when you still have step left in you is always more dignified than as someone who's become a drag to his team. No one's saying you're there yet, but in the world of professional sports, that line can come fast, hard, and you don't even realize you're there before it's been crossed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.