HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Duncan Siemens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322813)

Jtown 01-13-2013 10:47 PM

Duncan Siemens

Can anyone tell me what has happened to this guy since he was drafted?

This guy was suppose to be a top pairing guy and now I don't know where he Projects.

Can anyone fill me in on what has happened to him , and where his stock is now?

BoxOfChocolates 01-13-2013 10:56 PM

He got drafted by the Avs, that's what happened.

Freudian 01-13-2013 11:15 PM

He's more of a defensive than a two-way defender. It's going to take some time before he's ready to take the step. There aren't any obvious warning signs regarding his development.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates (Post 57560079)
He got drafted by the Avs, that's what happened.

At least he's not in Russia and hating the American way of life.

Jtown 01-13-2013 11:23 PM

He had some nice production early on in the WHL, you would think that would only increase right. He seems to have the skating ability to be a 2 way defender.

Freudian 01-13-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 57561287)
He had some nice production early on in the WHL, you would think that would only increase right. He seems to have the skating ability to be a 2 way defender.

Some of the offensive production in his draft year was due to being paired with Stefan Elliott. It's not like he has hands of stone, but he probably won't be a big points guy in the NHL.

I'm fairly certain Avs knew this when they drafted him. I think they were happy with getting a big, mean, mobile mostly defensive defenseman.

Rhino Reilly 01-13-2013 11:29 PM

Whats a good comparison for Siemens? Always sounded like he played an Adam Foote type of game.

S E P H 01-13-2013 11:29 PM

What happened to him? Well Team Canada could've used him. ^ better skating Coburn is the comparison I like to use.

BoxOfChocolates 01-13-2013 11:33 PM

Could've had Baertschi

shello 01-13-2013 11:35 PM

He started to play much better when he lost his captaincy.

Jtown 01-13-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 57561535)
What happened to him? Well Team Canada could've used him. ^ better skating Coburn is the comparison I like to use.

Coburn might be the best skating Defender over 6'4'' ive ever seen. If this is true then thats great for the AVS.

Xokkeu 01-13-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 57559629)
Can anyone tell me what has happened to this guy since he was drafted?

This guy was suppose to be a top pairing guy and now I don't know where he Projects.

Can anyone fill me in on what has happened to him , and where his stock is now?

He was never a top pairing guy. He was a physical player who can move fairly well, but frankly the Avalanche would have done a lot better to draft for skill to find a puck mover rather than simply a bottom pairing grinder.

Gigantor The Goalie 01-14-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 57562629)
He was never a top pairing guy. He was a physical player who can move fairly well, but frankly the Avalanche would have done a lot better to draft for skill to find a puck mover rather than simply a bottom pairing grinder.

Bottom pairing grinder? Once you get drafted by the Avs boom trade value down, not to mention you disappear off of everyone's radar. Can't wait for the memorial cup to see him play, saw him play in the SSS and Yakupov couldn't do anything against him. Which would be helpful later on in Siemens career if he can do that in the NHL.

Jtown 01-14-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 57562629)

I think he is a top 4 D man for sure, But There was hope at one point that he could develop into a true number 1. One of the reasons why some scouts liked him as opposed to Hamilton is because he plays more physical.

S E P H 01-14-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 57562393)
Coburn might be the best skating Defender over 6'4'' ive ever seen. If this is true then thats great for the AVS.

Well I don't know if he has that much talent to reach Coburns level, but I am fairly confident Siemens will beat him in skating ability.

Also funny a Flyers fan brought up a thread about Siemens considering Flyers were going to pick him if Couturier didn't fall.

Personally I still prefer Bartschi, but Siemens brings an element we have lacked since the days of Foote before the lockout.

Xokkeu 01-14-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 57563573)
Well I don't know if he has that much talent to reach Coburns level, but I am fairly confident Siemens will beat him in skating ability.

Also funny a Flyers fan brought up a thread about Siemens considering Flyers were going to pick him if Couturier didn't fall.

Personally I still prefer Bartschi, but Siemens brings an element we have lacked since the days of Foote before the lockout.

He's got a long way to go to reach Foote's shadow. He'd need to get bigger and meaner. I'd still trade him for a skilled puck mover if there was an offer. That said there isn't too much to like in the draft after he was taken.

couture23 01-14-2013 01:04 AM

Is he attending the Avs camp?

avsfan09 01-14-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couture23 (Post 57564911)
Is he attending the Avs camp?

No, the avs have way too many defenceman as it is. I think it's more important for his development to leave him down for the Memorial Cup.

henchman24 01-14-2013 05:27 PM

His high upside is a mobile, big, nasty #2 defender that is very difficult to play against. A more mobile Adam Foote in his prime. His likely upside is a second pairing defender that is very difficult to play against. He will never wow you with offensive numbers, but he should be able to pot 4-6 goals and have 10-15 assists a season.

kento19 01-15-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shello (Post 57561771)
He started to play much better when he got his captaincy.

Actually it's the other way around from what i've heard. The captaincy added too much pressure. They let him go fresh without the C this year and apparently the relief is allowing him to use his game better. I've read he is one of the better defenders in the W over the last 2 months or so.

shello 01-15-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevekento19 (Post 57618235)
Actually it's the other way around from what i've heard. The captaincy added too much pressure. They let him go fresh without the C this year and apparently the relief is allowing him to use his game better. I've read he is one of the better defenders in the W over the last 2 months or so.

Haha oops :laugh: that's what I meant. Not re reading it looks like it got to me this time.

kento19 01-15-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shello (Post 57619295)
Haha oops :laugh: that's what I meant. Not re reading it looks like it got to me this time.

:laugh:

PantherStriker 01-15-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevekento19 (Post 57618235)

This exactly. His play has vastly improved since the Sasky Blades made some changes with personnel.

kento19 05-18-2013 01:08 PM

Just want to bump this thread through the MEM Cup. He's one of the big name already drafted players in this tournament. How did he look last night? Where to people see him next year?

Patmac40 05-18-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kento19 (Post 66244357)
Just want to bump this thread through the MEM Cup. He's one of the big name already drafted players in this tournament. How did he look last night? Where to people see him next year?

Didn't get to watch the whole thing so I'll let others evaluate his overall game but he had a big turnover that led to Griffith's goal to make it 2-1 London.

R S 05-18-2013 01:27 PM

Just like many of the Blades, he had a tough game last night. He was understandably rusty, having not played in 51 days.

Overall he had a fantastic season for the Blades. Will start next season in the AHL, logging over 20 minutes a night. He'll likely see some NHL time at some point next season, with a full-time spot his on the Avalanche blueline in 2 years time.