HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   kids using outside edge instead of inside (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322823)

600bandit 01-13-2013 10:07 PM

kids using outside edge instead of inside

I coach a team of 5 and 6 year olds, 2 of them skate on there outside edge on there right foot, while going forward in a straight line, i'm sure they'll out grow it but any Ideas to help them out, it's there first and second year skating so some drills like gliding on one leg inside edges are a little hard for them to do, we've tried to explain to them to push with the inside edge but it's hard for them to understand, any help. thanks

Crosbyfan 01-14-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600bandit (Post 57560603)
I coach a team of 5 and 6 year olds, 2 of them skate on there outside edge on there right foot, while going forward in a straight line, i'm sure they'll out grow it but any Ideas to help them out, it's there first and second year skating so some drills like gliding on one leg inside edges are a little hard for them to do, we've tried to explain to them to push with the inside edge but it's hard for them to understand, any help. thanks

Have you tried them:

1. pushing with both inside edges, and scraping the ice back, while stationary against the boards for support

2. same as 1, but pushing a teammate (teammate facing them) with mild resistance, so moving forward

3. pushing with the inside edge (of right skate in this case) while balancing on the other leg with stick on the ice for a little extra support.

SCBruCrew4 01-14-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosbyfan (Post 57567135)
Have you tried them:

1. pushing with both inside edges, and scraping the ice back, while stationary against the boards for support2. same as 1, but pushing a teammate (teammate facing them) with mild resistance, so moving forward

3. pushing with the inside edge (of right skate in this case) while balancing on the other leg with stick on the ice for a little extra support.

This. We did this drill for the first few weeks during my sons Learn to Play/Skate class. So far so good.

noobman 01-14-2013 08:14 AM

Do their skates fit properly? Do they have supination of the feet?

AIREAYE 01-14-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 57569889)
Do their skates fit properly? Do they have supination of the feet?

Exactly what I was thinking.

600bandit 01-15-2013 01:46 PM

thanks for the advice I'll try some of the drills, this week, the kids aren't mine but I'll ask the parents to check for that supination

Jarick 01-15-2013 02:51 PM

Gotta check the skates that they fit properly.

Otherwise, are their feet not wide enough apart? It's hard to skate on your outside edge with the feet apart.

GrafSk8r12 01-16-2013 01:05 PM

Just teach them how to skate like Bure :)

Vancouver Canucks conditioning coach Peter Twist noticed during Bure's rehabilitation period following his first major knee injury in 1995, that his skating style was particularly unique in comparison to typical North American players. He explained, "Most players skate on their inside edge and push off at a 45-degree angle, but Bure starts on his outer edge and rolls over to his inside edge and pushes back straighter on his stride ... he gets more power and force in his stride to get up to top speed quicker."

Fanned On It 01-16-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrafSk8r12 (Post 57680995)
Just teach them how to skate like Bure :)

Vancouver Canucks conditioning coach Peter Twist noticed during Bure's rehabilitation period following his first major knee injury in 1995, that his skating style was particularly unique in comparison to typical North American players. He explained, "Most players skate on their inside edge and push off at a 45-degree angle, but Bure starts on his outer edge and rolls over to his inside edge and pushes back straighter on his stride ... he gets more power and force in his stride to get up to top speed quicker."

just thinking about that seems uncomfortable...

madmutter 01-18-2013 09:22 AM

Tell them to "walk like a duck" in their skates. Having their toes pointed out wide naturally has them on their inside edges, as they take a step they will naturally glide forward a bit and before you know it they are skating forward with a basic stride. I've used this to get several kids to move from the walking on the ice in skates phase to the forward momentum phase of learning to skate but I can definitely see it working with a player who has some skating skills but needs to move to their inside edges more.

dms 04-30-2014 09:57 PM

Kd doing the same

Did you get this figured out? My son is almost 5 and doing the same. Let me know if you found any solutions.

soireeculturelle 05-01-2014 09:23 AM

Look at their street shoes. IF the wear is all on the outer side of the sole, then it's a foot alignment issue. if not, then it's technique or the skate boot that's too big or too soft.

Coach Craig 05-01-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600bandit (Post 57560603)

I also coach this age group and have for 9 of the past 10 years. Do a couple drills to work on using all edges.

1. Have them line up on the blue line and skate hard, gliding around the bottom of the face off circle. Once for each edge - right inside, left inside, left outside, left inside.

2. another is a variation of the circles. Skating counter clockwise on the circle, using left foot to propel while right foot is gliding the left foot has to come behind the gliding foot and great effort is required to dig that blade into the ice and give a good push to keep momentum going.

McDugan 05-01-2014 10:27 AM

Maybe a sharpening issue? Are they both getting their skates sharpened at the same place?

tmway84 05-01-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmutter (Post 57781123)
Tell them to "walk like a duck" in their skates. Having their toes pointed out wide naturally has them on their inside edges, as they take a step they will naturally glide forward a bit and before you know it they are skating forward with a basic stride. I've used this to get several kids to move from the walking on the ice in skates phase to the forward momentum phase of learning to skate but I can definitely see it working with a player who has some skating skills but needs to move to their inside edges more.

hmmm....I never thought about the whole walk like a duck idea, I shall remember this for the next time i am volunteering at the rink. Very neat concept!