HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Petrell ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322917)

Surturus 01-14-2013 02:59 AM

Petrell ?

Your guys oppinions on him making the roster from start of the season and keeping in the roster for the whole season now with the 1 way contract ? Waivers at some point or breaking into NHL 4th-3rd lines this season for good ?

jumptheshark 01-14-2013 03:24 AM

I have always been a fan of his and think he is the perfect 4th/3rd liner

However, it is the numbers game

LW
Hall
Smyth
MPS
Jones
Hardichuck

and people are talking about moving either Yak or Hemsky to LW to make the lines look like
Hall-Nuge--Eberle
Hemsky--Gagner-- Yak
Smyth--Horcoff--Eager
Hordichuck--Belanger-Pettell or Jones?

these lines of course have my two favorite oilers on the farm Lander and MPS--we also have hartikanen who is a natural LW

SchultzSquared* 01-14-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 57567719)
these lines of course have my two favorite oilers on the farm Lander and MPS--we also have hartikanen who is a natural LW

if I wanted to watch a big strong man skate around the boards and not hit and not score I would watch figureskating.

The Nuge 01-14-2013 03:52 AM

Perfect 4th liner. Good defensively, loves to hit, and has an absolute cannon when he gets to use it

nexttothemoon 01-14-2013 04:23 AM

Petrell is filler until the youth in OKC gets better and displaces him on the roster. Harti is already knocking on the door which makes it more crowded on the wings.

If MPS or another winger in OKC were to actually develop into NHL regulars, Petrell would be gone but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the way things are going in OKC. I think Petrell is safe as a utility forward on the team for the foreseeable future.

He doesn't have a lot of trade value due to his age and limited upside but if the Oilers make a trade involving another player higher up the depth chart... it's players like Petrell that stick around and fill the gaps... again until better options are developed internally.

stratedge 01-14-2013 08:39 AM

He's a place holder until some bigger players develop to fill 4th line roles, but this could be another decent year for him since he'll hit the ground running. He had 11 goals and no assists in 26 games in the SM-liiga in Finland, which paints a perfect picture of the player he is... great shot, horrible passer with really poor vision, just focuses on hits and getting to the net all the time. Not an outstanding hitter either, but he gets around the ice quickly and doesn't take any shortcuts, which is nice.

But, he can chip in a decent number of goals for a 4th liner with his killer shot. Check him out getting a hat trick in Finland during the lockout. It's nice to think maybe he'll have a renewed confidence in his scoring abilities this season...

Edit: seems silly posting an HIFK video for the OP given his avatar, but it's more for the Oiler's fans.

joestevens29 01-14-2013 08:42 AM

I agree with the whole he's here until someone takes the spot from him. With that being said lets keep in mind that there is some room available now that Jones is injured to start. He'll be in a dog fight with Hartsi to get that extra time and hopefully one of them capitalizes on this chance.

MisterD 01-14-2013 08:48 AM

I expect he'll be with the big club as a 12th/13th forward for the entire season.

He's an effective PK'er and not afraid to play physically.

stratedge 01-14-2013 09:04 AM

The big wild card is the new coach; Renney seemed to really like Petrell, but coaches who fail like Renney did, and MacT before him, often do so because they misuse their players and favour lesser players more than they should.

Krueger might love him, might not. I'm inclined to think he at least likes him, since Petrell was on the PK last year and Krueger was running the PK, if I'm not mistaken.

misfit 01-14-2013 09:42 AM

With Jones out to start the season, the Oilers are going to need some penalty killers, and I really liked what I saw from Petrell on the PK last year. I like the style of hockey he plays, it's just that last year he wasn't very effective 5-on-5.

Draiskull 01-14-2013 09:45 AM

Petrell wont be waived.

He is a perfect #12 \ PB guy for us.

Surturus 01-15-2013 02:49 AM

The confusion that was the 26 games he played back with HIFK for the whole team was also a contributing fact about his only 11 goals. Mostly he was playing the same role as in Oilers as well although the times he was on the power play etc he seemed to do ok. He started and finished strong. The middle there was a bit of a mess from the whole team, not only from him.

Mentallydull 01-15-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 57567719)
I have always been a fan of his and think he is the perfect 4th/3rd liner

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 57567835)
Perfect 4th liner. Good defensively, loves to hit, and has an absolute cannon when he gets to use it

Been saying this since I saw him - couldn't have said it better myself :)

Burnt Biscuits 01-15-2013 09:54 PM

Being that we're short on decent penalty killers I want him in the line-up every night. Our 4th line was pretty much a train wreck all of last year continually being outplayed by opposition 4th lines, so I do want to shake it up, but I wouldn't be willing to move him out of the line-up unless we get someone equally capable (or better) on the penalty kill. I'm hoping Belanger turns his game around this season and hopefully the 4th line with him, but we will have to wait and see.

Hans Moleman 01-15-2013 10:22 PM

As long as they don't put him on the first line again, he's welcome aboard.

lakai17 01-15-2013 11:48 PM

can Petrell replace Ryan Jones?

Mr Forever 01-16-2013 12:18 AM

I think we're undervaluing this asset. He's a player who can play the exact type of game we need and will force Eager, Jones and whoever else to earn their minutes.

Pointteen 01-16-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 57662535)
I think we're undervaluing this asset. He's a player who can play the exact type of game we need and will force Eager, Jones and whoever else to earn their minutes.

That's true. If all goes well with Kreuger, we'll see our depth contributing on a nightly basis. I'm really excited to see these guys play a disciplined game with every player having a defined role.

If everyone buys into the system, this team could be a vast improvement. The small changes being done are very exciting to see. I can't wait until Sunday.

Spawn 01-16-2013 12:29 AM

It's too bad Petrell didn't have some wheels. If he did, he would be a sure fire 3rd liner I think. But since he doesn't I think he is destined to be a 4th liner/PB type guy. Nothing wrong with that, it is still a valuable role on the team. As misfit pointed out, he is an effective PKer and seems to know his role. Seems like a cool guy too. That always helps.

Surturus 01-16-2013 01:45 AM

Not the most serious guy yeah :)

joestevens29 01-16-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 57662535)

I don't know that anyone really is undervaluing him, he is what he is a 4th liner who maybe becomes a 3rd liner if he grows, but has to watch as he could end up in the PB if youngsters grow more than him.

YARR123 01-17-2013 10:17 AM

After leaving Finland for the NHL I've been a bit dissappointed in Petrell. Last year he was playing a more passive game than what he used to play in finland. At first I thought that it's just the fact that the NHL is so much more physical that he doesn't stand out as much. But after he returned to finland he didn't look much better. He's still probably a nice 4th liner to have but it's a bit frustrating to watch when he has the potential to do better. Watching him two years ago playing for IFK in the playoffs, he played his heart out, he was the perfect hockey player: Physical, aggressive, fearless, played for the team, and showed some decent skill as well. I hope he can bring that to the NHL one day.

McClelland 01-17-2013 10:27 AM

Nothing wrong with petrell! he is what he is , a 4 th liner who has a pretty good release. I know some posters fired up the expectations on him after he started with a hatty in sm liiga, but he planned out to normal pretty quick. Hes gonna have a hard time to get toi, but injurys accure especially in the oilers ,so he get his chances.

Bryanbryoil 01-17-2013 12:40 PM

Good depth player, personally I don't see 3rd line upside in him.

jumptheshark 01-17-2013 12:41 PM

at some point in time Pettrell gets to hand out cigars for the birth of a child