HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Could a team try to get both Drouin and MacKinnon? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1322935)

jaeger 01-14-2013 05:21 AM

Could a team try to get both Drouin and MacKinnon?

As they both have chemistry together already, could a team drafting first consider trading for the 2nd or 3rd pick as well? You could unite them and build your team around them for years.

What would a team like Columbus have to give to get the 2nd pick for example?

doubledown99 01-14-2013 05:53 AM

I don't see both being drafted 1&2 (Seth Jones). If a team could pull it off it would be the Blue Jackets. They could grab Mackinnon with their pick and then potentially use their two other 1st rounders to move up or a combination of their 1sr rders this yr, next yrs 1st rd pick, their 2nd in 2013, and their prospect pool to move up (I'm not saying all of those pieces but a combination)

Anchor Town 01-14-2013 06:17 AM

Could a team try? Sure

Will it happen? I'd give it around a 1 in 100 chance

Shrimper 01-14-2013 07:49 AM

I'd say it's very unlikely that a team would be able to get both because if you presume they go 1/2 or 1/3 then a team that want's both will have to give up something decent for that 2nd/3rd pick. Next year's 1st and a 2nd this year + Prospect?

Michael Gary Scott 01-14-2013 09:29 AM

Could they? Obviously they could. Pittsburgh could trade Sidney Crosby for John Scott.

Wont happen though.

rt 01-14-2013 09:34 AM

Columbus has a chance. If their own pick is first overall and one of Los Angeles or New York falls to pieces this season (like Lundqvist misses 44 games w/injury). Highly unlikely.

Fire Sweeney 01-14-2013 09:37 AM

Montreal will finish in the bottom 5 so they could trade a few veterans like Gionta, Cole, Markov and rack up picks.

BrimStone64 01-14-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaeger (Post 57568205)
As they both have chemistry together already, could a team drafting first consider trading for the 2nd or 3rd pick as well? You could unite them and build your team around them for years.

What would a team like Columbus have to give to get the 2nd pick for example?

Vancouver did this with the Sedins a few years back. Traded a good player and another first round pick to draft the other Sedin.

ttam103 01-14-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats86 (Post 57572005)
Vancouver did this with the Sedins a few years back. Traded a good player and another first round pick to draft the other Sedin.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/1...ed-the-sedins/

Id think that the Sedin twins are an exception for making drastic moves to get linemates who are ranked so high.

Petro Points 01-14-2013 09:48 AM

Kane\Gagner
Yakupov\Galchenyuk

unless they 'demand' to be drafted by the same team ala Sedins this wont happen.

JPurp26 01-14-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott (Post 57571619)
Could they? Obviously they could. Pittsburgh could trade Sidney Crosby for John Scott.

Wont happen though.

I hope so now that Scott is a sabre

Kevin Forbes 01-14-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco (Post 57571857)
Montreal will finish in the bottom 5 so they could trade a few veterans like Gionta, Cole, Markov and rack up picks.

That's the tricky part though. The picks need to be both in the top 5 and also almost certainly need to be back-to-back.

So you're looking at making a deal with a team that will also finish in the bottom 5. The deal has to happen after the lottery takes place, because all 14 teams have a chance at that #1 pick.

If players are involved (like the ones you mentioned), we're talking about two deals: one during the trade deadline to sell off the players for picks/prospects/assets (It would be hard to imagine that a bottom 5 team would be interested in picking up players like Markov and Gionta on the last year's of their contracts in exchange for a first) and then another trade after the lottery sending those assets to the other bottom 5 team for their pick.

The complexity of it (and the trouble with just selling off players for picks in a salary cap world) makes it very difficult for a team like Montreal to do the deal unless they sacrifice some of their existing assets.

King Mapes 01-14-2013 10:08 AM

I know Frk scored but check the passing..

From the other night..

You can't teach this stuff

I'm on my phone, I'll fix em later. Look up Drouin winner jan 12 on YouTube. My god..

Bob Kudelski 01-14-2013 10:10 AM

Yes, a team could try this. I could see it happening in one of my fantasy leagues, but unlikely that a team could pull it off in the NHL.

Although Burke managed to do something similar in order to get both Sedins. Probably the best thing he ever did.

BigFatCat999 01-14-2013 10:12 AM

:cbj

They have 3 1sts, a high need for forward, no need for Jones, and they would be a good fit for the Jackets.

Mathmatically hard they would need LAK or NYR to not make the playoffs. (Based on the choices LAK since they were an 8th seed riding Quick. If both were to miss CBJ fans would wet themselves.)

Also draft wise the Jackets could draft 1 and 3 let #2 draft Jones and then they would have their 1st line.

BrimStone64 01-14-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttam103 (Post 57572217)
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/1...ed-the-sedins/

Id think that the Sedin twins are an exception for making drastic moves to get linemates who are ranked so high.

Be tough trade to pull off but possible. Only teams could make this move has to be drafting 1st or 2nd overall, farthest MacKinnon will fall is 2nd. Then they need the assets to trade for, at least a top 5 selection. In deep draft like this hard to do

BrimStone64 01-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco (Post 57571857)

Only way I see the Habs in this is if they win draft lottery.

bsmith14 01-14-2013 10:45 AM

What does Columbus offer to get the 2nd/3rd overall if they also had the 1st pick?

Johansen, Moore, 2 1sts?

HockeyGuruPitka 01-14-2013 10:50 AM

Maybe if the leafs still had Burke...

kento 01-14-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka (Post 57574565)
Maybe if the leafs still had Burke...

"The toronto Maple Leafs trade 4 first round picks, Phil Kessel, the ACC and their team name and logo for the second overall pick"

King Mapes 01-14-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 57573165)

They have 3 1sts, a high need for forward, no need for Jones, and they would be a good fit for the Jackets.

Mathmatically hard they would need LAK or NYR to not make the playoffs. (Based on the choices LAK since they were an 8th seed riding Quick. If both were to miss CBJ fans would wet themselves.)

Also draft wise the Jackets could draft 1 and 3 let #2 draft Jones and then they would have their 1st line.

Lets say those picks ended up at 24 and 26. They could deal both and end up 15th or so. Use 31st overall with 15th and move up to 11-12. What can they offer to move up 8 spots?

Xokkeu 01-14-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevekento19 (Post 57574971)
"The toronto Maple Leafs trade 4 first round picks, Phil Kessel, the ACC and their team name and logo for the second overall pick"

Nah they'd trade the 2nd overall pick to Columbus for Jack Johnson

hototogisu 01-14-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 57573165)

Can we just reflect for a moment on how crazy it is to suggest the Blue Jackets, of all teams, have no need for Seth Jones?

Samkow 01-14-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 57575533)
Can we just reflect for a moment on how crazy it is to suggest the Blue Jackets, of all teams, have no need for Seth Jones?

It wouldn't be crazy if you looked at the blueline, saw that it actually was somewhat decent compared to the awful forward corps, and realized this team needs top-line forward talent in the worst way.

DKQ 01-14-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 57575727)
It wouldn't be crazy if you looked at the blueline, saw that it actually was somewhat decent compared to the awful forward corps, and realized this team needs top-line forward talent in the worst way.

I think he's saying it's amazing that a team which is supposedly the worst franchise evarrr has enough depth in young defenseman that they could very reasonably not draft a platinum prospect like Seth Jones