HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1323783)

UsernameWasTaken 01-15-2013 10:47 AM

NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings

North American list:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=85643

1 JONES, SETH D PORTLAND WHL
2 MACKINNON, NATHAN C HALIFAX QMJHL
3 DROUIN, JONATHAN LW HALIFAX QMJHL
4 MONAHAN, SEAN C OTTAWA OHL
5 SHINKARUK, HUNTER C/LW MEDICINE HAT WHL
6 PULOCK, RYAN D BRANDON WHL
7 GAUTHIER, FREDERIK C RIMOUSKI QMJHL
8 ZYKOV, VALENTIN LW BAIE-COMEAU QMJHL
9 NURSE, DARNELL D SAULT STE. MARIE OHL
10 MANTHA, ANTHONY RW VAL-D'OR QMJHL

re: the London Knights - i'm a bit surprised Horvat is before Domi and Zadorov is so low.

here are the European rankings:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=8...id=DL|NHL|home

1 BARKOV, ALEKSANDER C TAPPARA FINLAND
2 LINDHOLM, ELIAS C BRYNAS SWEDEN
3 RISTOLAINEN, RASMUS D TPS FINLAND
4 NICHUSHKIN, VALERI RW CHELMET RUSSIA-2
5 BURAKOVSKY, ANDRE LW MALMO SWEDEN-2
6 DE LA ROSE, JACOB LW LEKSAND SWEDEN-2
7 HAGG, ROBERT D MODO JR. SWEDEN-JR.
8 WENNBERG, ALEXANDER C DJURGARDEN SWEDEN-2
9 LEHKONEN, ARTTURI LW KALPA FINLAND
10 DANO, MARKO C BRATISLAVA RUSSIA

EagleBelfour 01-15-2013 11:04 AM

The QMJHL with 5 players in the top-10, 7 in the top-15. Unheard of?

EDIT: + n1 goaltender is from the QMJHL

Rhino Reilly 01-15-2013 11:09 AM

Dat draft class!

Frederik Gauthier is probably the least talked about kid ranked in the 1st round. Anyone seen him play? Whats his style?

IkeaMonkey* 01-15-2013 11:09 AM

Cammaratta is entirely off the lists now? What the ****.

BruinsBtn 01-15-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleBelfour (Post 57622683)
The QMJHL with 5 players in the top-10, 7 in the top-15. Unheard of?

EDIT: + n1 goaltender is from the QMJHL

Plus two Memorial Cups in a row (and a good shot this year -- Halifax is 35-4-3)

OvechkinTooth 01-15-2013 11:14 AM

Zykov has cracked top-10 in the NA list. Great player. He played good in SSS last year for Russia against Quebec. Good sniper with excellent feel for score and almost always turns up at right place at right time.

Canuck71 01-15-2013 11:17 AM

Really don't understand why CSS has such a hate for the small goal scoring forwards who CAN put the puck in the net. Seen it back in 2010 where Jeff Skinner was always low in the CSS lists and was the #34 NA skater in the final rankings. We all know what happened there.

So why the hate for Domi? I wouldn't even call 5'10" 190 lbs small at all, but Domi really knows how to put the puck in the net and create offense. Sure there are some scouts that don't think his game will translate to the next level but Domi is as hard of a worker there is in this draft class and he has adapted to competition everywhere he's played so far. I would have Domi as a shoe in top 15 pick at least.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* 01-15-2013 11:19 AM

Always take these lists with a grain of salt, ALWAYS!!!!

jhjhjhjhjhjh* 01-15-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck71 (Post 57623151)
Really don't understand why CSS has such a hate for the small goal scoring forwards who CAN put the puck in the net. Seen it back in 2010 where Jeff Skinner was always low in the CSS lists and was the #34 NA skater in the final rankings. We all know what happened there.

So why the hate for Domi? I wouldn't even call 5'10" 190 lbs small at all, but Domi really knows how to put the puck in the net and create offense. Sure there are some scouts that don't think his game will translate to the next level but Domi is as hard of a worker there is in this draft class and he has adapted to competition everywhere he's played so far. I would have Domi as a shoe in top 15 pick at least.

Domi is one of the most offensively gifted players in this draft, just remember during most of last year they had Grigorenko above Yaks.

UsernameWasTaken 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

no way is domi 190. not even close to it.

danishh 01-15-2013 11:23 AM

i thought messier's nephew might get ranked after ripping up the bchl. Maybe the fact that he's expected to spend the full 4 years at harvard hurts him.

Canuck71 01-15-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 57623251)
no way is domi 190. not even close to it.

Well every team does their HT/WT stats at the start of the year and Domi is listed at 194 lbs. Don't know how you would know what he weights unless you privately weighed him yourself. He's a bulky kid.

UsernameWasTaken 01-15-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck71 (Post 57623585)
Well every team does their HT/WT stats at the start of the year and Domi is listed at 194 lbs. Don't know how you would know what he weights unless you privately weighed him yourself. He's a bulky kid.

the teams always exaggerate players' weights on their websites. Have you ever seen him? He's not 194 :laugh:

jfb392 01-15-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 57623649)
the teams always exaggerate players' weights on their websites. Have you ever seen him? He's not 194 :laugh:

He may not be 190 or 194 right now, but he was 184 when weighed by Hockey Canada this summer.

NHL Fanatic 01-15-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

I agree with the comment to take these rankings with a grain of salt. NHL teams each have their own lists based on their needs and how the project a player. Being ranked how on this list does not indicate that you will go high in the draft.

With regard to Domi, on Central Scouting's first list they had Domi at 5'9. I agree that he will be a top 15-20 pick, his instincts and creativity are very strong. But he does need to work on the other side of the ice.

AwesomePanthers 01-15-2013 11:52 AM

I find it very strange that a guy that has played 9 SEL games this season, is ranked as low as 79th among Europeans. I really find that hard to believe.. I wonder where he would be ranked if he were Swedish...

amjay13 01-15-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey (Post 57622877)
Cammaratta is entirely off the lists now? What the ****.

Noticed that, has to be an oversight.

nogger 01-15-2013 12:34 PM

Is there something going on with Lazar? He used to be hovering around the 4-7 mark

canucks20 01-15-2013 12:41 PM

Charlie Graham at 21 for North American Goalies seems a bit low.

hototogisu 01-15-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogger (Post 57626603)
Is there something going on with Lazar? He used to be hovering around the 4-7 mark

Just isn't producing like you expect from a top ten pick.

arsmaster 01-15-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogger (Post 57626603)

Low production.

caley 01-15-2013 01:23 PM

Some crazy rankings on here, for sure.

JP Lipon went from being one of the Top 20-25 players in the WHL on the CSS' first rankings, to down at #96 with WHLers who weren't previously ranked (Tyler Lewington, Roberts Lipsbergs, Ty Stanton and Myles Bell) all jumping ahead of him (In Bell's case, he should be higher, probably much higher).

They also went really crazy with adding overage goalies with Patrik Bartosak, Franky Palazessee, Mackenzie Skapski, Eetu Laurikainen and Etienne Marcoux all making the list, depite not one of them being mentioned in any goalie lists in the first part of the season.

Other rankings that really surprised me

Oliver Bjorkstrand at #29 (Haven't seen him listed that high anywhere, especially 5 spots above Petan)
Nikita Zadorov at #30 (ISS has him #9 overall)
Jonathan Diaby at #45 (There must be one ISS scout who loves him, as they're the only ones to consistently rank him)
Kayle Doetzel at #50 (I love Doetzel, so I'm excited to see anyone else rank him)
Remi Elie at #56 (Another guy I love, so happy to see him)
Marc-Olivier Roy at #58 (I've seen him pegged as a fringe 1st rounder, so dropping to the 3rd round or so seems low)
Ryan Kujawinkski at #69 (A lot of folks love him and have him borderline Top 30)
Spencer Martin t #5G (I'm not sure how he can't be in Top 4, even Top 3 at this point)
Jackson Whistle at #26 G (There are a lot of guys ahead of him who probably shouldn't be)
Dakota Mermis at #156 (Seems like they only added him because he signed with London, no mention previously, IIRC)

arsmaster 01-15-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 57629209)
Some crazy rankings on here, for sure.

JP Lipon went from being one of the Top 20-25 players in the WHL on the CSS' first rankings, to down at #96 with WHLers who weren't previously ranked (Tyler Lewington, Roberts Lipsbergs, Ty Stanton and Myles Bell) all jumping ahead of him (In Bell's case, he should be higher, probably much higher).

They also went really crazy with adding overage goalies with Patrik Bartosak, Franky Palazessee, Mackenzie Skapski, Eetu Laurikainen and Etienne Marcoux all making the list, depite not one of them being mentioned in any goalie lists in the first part of the season.

Other rankings that really surprised me

Oliver Bjorkstrand at #29 (Haven't seen him listed that high anywhere, especially 5 spots above Petan)
Nikita Zadorov at #30 (ISS has him #9 overall)
Jonathan Diaby at #45 (There must be one ISS scout who loves him, as they're the only ones to consistently rank him)
Kayle Doetzel at #50 (I love Doetzel, so I'm excited to see anyone else rank him)
Remi Elie at #56 (Another guy I love, so happy to see him)
Marc-Olivier Roy at #58 (I've seen him pegged as a fringe 1st rounder, so dropping to the 3rd round or so seems low)
Ryan Kujawinkski at #69 (A lot of folks love him and have him borderline Top 30)
Spencer Martin t #5G (I'm not sure how he can't be in Top 4, even Top 3 at this point)
Jackson Whistle at #26 G (There are a lot of guys ahead of him who probably shouldn't be)
Dakota Mermis at #156 (Seems like they only added him because he signed with London, no mention previously, IIRC)

It's always hard with CSS to figure out if they are projecting skill-set, or probability to make the NHL.

Remi Ellie is a good player, but the 50th best North American I just don't see it....will probably make the NHL as an energy line player, but the ultimate upside, I'd say is pretty low.

Nothing against Elie, just an example from your list.

--------

bottomofthefoodchain 01-15-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers (Post 57624483)
I find it very strange that a guy that has played 9 SEL games this season, is ranked as low as 79th among Europeans. I really find that hard to believe.. I wonder where he would be ranked if he were Swedish...

With 9 games? Not high.

YARR123 01-15-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain (Post 57630793)
With 9 games? Not high.

Usually first eligible players playing even 9 games in the SEL are ranked a lot higher.