HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1323825)

kasper11 01-15-2013 11:09 AM

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers
 
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...30084675813377

Why not?

goal1228 01-15-2013 11:09 AM

sles claim D Thomas Hickey off waivers from Kings.
 
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles claim D Thomas Hickey off waivers from Kings.

mhs8hockey 01-15-2013 11:10 AM

at the end of the day you can NEVER have too many d-men. I like this pick up a lot. He has some potential.....

PWJunior 01-15-2013 11:11 AM

Haha, who called it? Original Islander?

kasper11 01-15-2013 11:13 AM

I am guessing that he is given every opportunity to play...

Streit-Hamonic
AMac-Martinek
Carkner-Hickey

Finley and Landry will be the extras, depending on the matchup.

Wow, that d kinda blows.

I hope that Hickey does well. Could be a nice depth piece moving forward. He couldn't crack LA's lineup, but they are pretty stacked on D.

jdr016 01-15-2013 11:13 AM

So it's like we had a first round pick in 2007 now!

Tavaresfan91 01-15-2013 11:14 AM

Good pickup you guys think he has a shot at opening nigjt roster? Happy about this pickup former top 5 pick with a lot of potential, looked pretty good on monarchs this year

kasper11 01-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 (Post 57625429)
Good pickup you guys think he has a shot at opening nigjt roster? Happy about this pickup former top 5 pick with a lot of potential, looked pretty good on monarchs this year

I think he will definitely be on the roster and it will come down to him or Landry in the lineup.

blinkman360 01-15-2013 11:19 AM

Smart pickup. Made no sense not to do it. Worst case you get some depth in Bridgeport if/when a guy like Donovan gets the call. Best case Hickey gets the change of scenery he needed, ends up being a Grabner-like pickup.

Low-risk/High-reward.

A Pointed Stick 01-15-2013 11:20 AM

If he can play in Bridgeport he will help in a big way. I would also say he still has the potential to find his NHL game but the window is closing. LA may have had a logjam on defense that held him back but he did stagnate in his development, and had some injury issues.

I would like to see how he plays vs Ness' contributions. They basically fill the same role. Hopefully Hickey makes the most of this opportunity. He had the tools to be a top 4 once.

IslesNorway 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

Very good pickup! Potentially this could be another waiver gem

StumpNYI 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

Hopefully keeps Reinhart off the roster. Maybe a fresh start will help the kid. I'm sure you lose confidence when so much is expected of you and you seem to be headed towards a AHL career because you can't crack a seemingly deep LA blueline. Hopefully his potential is still there. Another Grabner situation?

Don't know much else about him other then what I just stated, but for comparisons sake for the people who have:

Donovan vs Hickey??

Renbarg 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

Good pickup imo. At worst he is an extra warm body, Bridgeport is really struggling to even get 6 AHL caliber dmen out on the ice.

Isles Enforcer 01-15-2013 11:22 AM

Haha someone on here called that! Nice call, get that guy a free chili! (At participating restaurants)

kasper11 01-15-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumpNYI (Post 57625841)
Hopefully keeps Reinhart off the roster. Maybe a fresh start will help the kid. I'm sure you lose confidence when so much is expected of you and you seem to be headed towards a AHL career because you can't crack a seemingly deep LA blueline. Hopefully his potential is still there. Another Grabner situation?

Don't know much else about him other then what I just stated, but for comparisons sake for the people who have:

Donovan vs Hickey??

I don't think he has that kind of potential (Calder finalist) but hopefully he can prove he belongs on an NHL roster.

PWJunior 01-15-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer (Post 57625889)
Haha someone on here called that! Nice call, get that guy a free chili! (At participating restaurants)

Quote:

Originally Posted by original islander (Post 57581765)
Hopefully we'll pick up Thomas Hickey on waivers. In a way it'll make up for the 2nd round pick.

original islander yesterday in the Visnovsky thread. I kind of feel bad because I kind of squashed the Hickey talk in that thread.

Richie Daggers Crime 01-15-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 (Post 57625429)
Good pickup you guys think he has a shot at opening nigjt roster? Happy about this pickup former top 5 pick with a lot of potential, looked pretty good on monarchs this year

He was an off the board pick, but nonetheless, this is a worthwhile pickup to see if he can stick. He was stuck behind a stout LA defense, so maybe a change of scenery can help him find his game.

jdr016 01-15-2013 11:28 AM

He will remain with the big club. If Vis actually shows up, my guess is Finley gets waived.

StumpNYI 01-15-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11 (Post 57626025)
I don't think he has that kind of potential (Calder finalist) but hopefully he can prove he belongs on an NHL roster.

True, wouldn't expect a calder finalist haha. But finding a solid NHL player on the waiver wire really helps our depth. That is what I mean by Grabner situation. Feeding off LA's depth has strengthened ours. Good move in that regard alone. Maybe.

Sneekypete 01-15-2013 11:31 AM

I like the pick up, he will slot in most likely were Dehaan would have on the Isles. I hope he can show he is a viable 3rd pairing with top 4 upside. This pick up will also allow the Bport D prospects to really push hard and play 20 plus minutes a night.

SLAPSHOT723 01-15-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdr016 (Post 57626205)
He will remain with the big club. If Vis actually shows up, my guess is Finley gets waived.

Yup.

This team still needs another top-4.

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Hickey-Carkner
Finley

Donovan/Ness stay in the minors. Either Visnovsky reports or Garth trades for a top-4 defenseman, and Martinek goes back to being the 7th. At least there's more depth in this position now, claiming Hickey and Finley will help more than hurt.

Richie Daggers Crime 01-15-2013 11:34 AM

Can we combine Hickey and Finley into some sort of invincible Master/Blaster type combo? Hickey/Finley?

blinkman360 01-15-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 57626425)
Yup.

This team still needs another top-4.

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Hickey-Carkner
Finley

Donovan/Ness stay in the minors. Either Visnovsky reports or Garth trades for a top-4 defenseman, and Martinek goes back to being the 7th. At least there's more depth in this position now, claiming Hickey and Finley will help more than hurt.

I have a feeling that the Isles are fine with Martinek on that 2nd pairing with Streit if Visnovsky doesn't show. Don't see them going for another defender, much less a top-4. If Vis comes I think he'll probably start on the bottom pairing with Carkner and work his way up. Isles will probably want to make sure he gives a **** before they give him quality minutes. That's JMO though.

Marlo Stanfield 01-15-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime (Post 57626593)
Can we combine Hickey and Finley into some sort of invincible Master/Blaster type combo? Hickey/Finley?

Zdeno Chara or Tyler Myers? :sarcasm:

CShuckWangGoAway* 01-15-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 57626425)
Yup.

This team still needs another top-4.

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-Martinek
Hickey-Carkner
Finley

Donovan/Ness stay in the minors. Either Visnovsky reports or Garth trades for a top-4 defenseman, and Martinek goes back to being the 7th. At least there's more depth in this position now, claiming Hickey and Finley will help more than hurt.

Dude, how long have we needed a top 4 d-man now? No other team in the 4 major sports has ever had this much trouble filling a need except for the Chicago bears and the qb position.

It's going to be Snow's legacy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.