HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Deepest teams of all time down the middle? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1324107)

Puckgenius* 01-15-2013 03:53 PM

Deepest teams of all time down the middle?
 
Where does Sakic, Forsberg, uninjured Drury , Yelle rank?

TheDevilMadeMe 01-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 57640985)
Where does Sakic, Forsberg, uninjured Drury , Yelle rank?

That has to be one of the deepest of modern times.

All Time?

Toronto in 1947-48 with Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, and Max Bentley might take the cake. They were only together for 1 year though because Apps retired a year after they acquired Bentley.

Bentley was 5th, Apps was 7th, and Kennedy was 13th in league scoring that year. They were the 3 leading scorers of Toronto in both the regular season and in the playoffs, all playing at center on 3 different lines (though together on the PP).

Big Phil 01-15-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 57641435)
That has to be one of the deepest of modern times.

All Time?

Toronto in 1947-48 with Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, and Max Bentley might take the cake. They were only together for 1 year though because Apps retired a year after they acquired Bentley.

Bentley was 5th, Apps was 7th, and Kennedy was 13th in league scoring that year. They were the 3 leading scorers of Toronto in both the regular season and in the playoffs, all playing at center on 3 different lines (though together on the PP).

The first team I thought of too. It stems from the crazy comment that was made in Gretzky's early tenure that he wouldn't even crack the 1948 Maple Leafs at center. It was crazy. So I've never forgotten the 1948 Leafs. Man, Apps was still a great player then too.

You still have to think about Crosby, Malkin and Staal in recent years. Maybe the deepest down the middle since the Oilers dynasty.

Canadiens Fan 01-15-2013 05:23 PM

Montreal's trio down the middle throughout the 1960's of Beliveau, Richard, & Backstrom would have to rank high.

theicebox 01-15-2013 06:49 PM

Lemieux - Francis - Trottier
Crosby - Malkin - Staal

Thrace 01-15-2013 06:51 PM

You can't really knock Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov-Draper.

MadLuke 01-15-2013 07:45 PM

Detroit had some strange year in recent memory for center deep too.

TAnnala 01-16-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 57641435)
That has to be one of the deepest of modern times.

All Time?

Toronto in 1947-48 with Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, and Max Bentley might take the cake. They were only together for 1 year though because Apps retired a year after they acquired Bentley.

Bentley was 5th, Apps was 7th, and Kennedy was 13th in league scoring that year. They were the 3 leading scorers of Toronto in both the regular season and in the playoffs, all playing at center on 3 different lines (though together on the PP).

I think in modern time Gretzky, Messier and who might be in the competition?

But Toronto is a good choice for all-time.

Morgoth Bauglir 01-16-2013 01:39 AM

'70s Habs with Lemaire, Mahovlich, Risebrough, and Jarvis is pretty damn good.

ot92s 01-16-2013 06:16 AM

kopitor, richards, stoll is pretty damn solid

pdd 01-16-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 57641839)
The first team I thought of too. It stems from the crazy comment that was made in Gretzky's early tenure that he wouldn't even crack the 1948 Maple Leafs at center. It was crazy. So I've never forgotten the 1948 Leafs. Man, Apps was still a great player then too.

You still have to think about Crosby, Malkin and Staal in recent years. Maybe the deepest down the middle since the Oilers dynasty.

I think these ones were all better than Crosby-Malkin-Staal.
Yzerman-Fedorov-Carson-Primeau
Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov-Draper
Fedorov-Larionov-Draper-Datsyuk
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Filppula-Helm
Lemieux-Francis-Trottier-Hrdina
Lemieux-Francis-Straka-Trottier
Lemieux-Francis-Smolinski-Park

Leafsdude7 01-16-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 57640985)
Where does Sakic, Forsberg, uninjured Drury , Yelle rank?

I think Ricci >>>>>>>>>> Drury, even if we're talking Drury's early years.

Besides, wasn't Drury a winger with the Avs? I always thought the lines were Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, Drury-Forsberg-Deadmarsh.

How about Lindros/Brind'Amour/Otto/Hawerchuk or Gratton or MacTavish with the Flyers in the mid-90s? Probably the biggest group of centres on a single team ever in 97-98: 6'5, 6'1, 6'4, 6'5.

pdd 01-16-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 (Post 57681489)
I think Ricci >>>>>>>>>> Drury, even if we're talking Drury's early years.

Besides, wasn't Drury a winger with the Avs? I always thought the lines were Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, Drury-Forsberg-Deadmarsh.

How about Lindros/Brind'Amour/Otto/Hawerchuk or Gratton or MacTavish with the Flyers in the mid-90s? Probably the biggest group of centres on a single team ever in 97-98: 6'5, 6'1, 6'4, 6'5.

Drury switched back and forth.

Leafsdude7 01-16-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAnnala (Post 57662567)
I think in modern time Gretzky, Messier and who might be in the competition?

But Toronto is a good choice for all-time.

Gretzky and Messier had mostly crap behind them. MacTavish was a decent 3rd liner at his best, but then they had guys like Billy Carroll and Marc Habscheid and Mark Napier on the 4th line. Gretz and Mess with any of them might have been as talented as any other team's 4 line group before, but that's still not depth.

Leafsdude7 01-16-2013 02:55 PM

How about Dallas, as well?

Modano/Nieuwendyk/Carbonneau/Skrudland
Modano/Nieuwendyk/Muller/Van Allen
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Van Allen and Malhotra
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Ott

That's a pretty good 5-6 season run.

pdd 01-16-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 (Post 57687701)
How about Dallas, as well?

Modano/Nieuwendyk/Carbonneau/Skrudland
Modano/Nieuwendyk/Muller/Van Allen
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Van Allen and Malhotra
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Ott

That's a pretty good 5-6 season run.

Not really at the level of the groups we're talking about. One guy who bordered on elite, another solid #1 center, a defensive rock #3, and a defensive rock #4. Unlike the Detroit groups with Larionov, Carson, etc., Carbonneau was an actual third line center at that point in his career. And Skrudland was a fourth liner, or a poor third liner at best. Dallas relied on their defensemen: Zubov, Sydor, Hatcher, Matvichuk, and Ludwig. That group was absolutely rock solid for them for years and was the core of their success. The Stars had much more team success than the individual players suggested they should have.

Modano/Arnott/Turgeon is a good trio of names, but Turgeon was basically done at that point and was a downgrade from Carbonneau.

TheDevilMadeMe 01-16-2013 04:26 PM

I think you still need top end talent to be considered among the deepest groups ever; otherwise you are just the team with the best 3rd and 4th line centers. If top end talent doesn't matter, I would submit the 1999-00 and 2000-01 Devils who went to back to back finals: Jason Arnott, Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik, John Madden

DaveG 01-16-2013 04:43 PM

For post-lockout teams I'd say the Pens cup team was the best, but that 06 Canes team had to be right up there as well. Staal, Brind'Amour, Weight, Kevyn Adams. Also had a couple guys that were natural centers who switched to the wing after the Weight trade in Cullen and Vasicek due to their sheer depth at the position.

MXD 01-16-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrace (Post 57649441)
You can't really knock Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov-Draper.

I actually prefer the 60ies Habs and the late 40ies Leafs.

pdd 01-16-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 57693683)
For post-lockout teams I'd say the Pens cup team was the best, but that 06 Canes team had to be right up there as well. Staal, Brind'Amour, Weight, Kevyn Adams. Also had a couple guys that were natural centers who switched to the wing after the Weight trade in Cullen and Vasicek due to their sheer depth at the position.

As I stated earlier Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Filppula-Draper was better than Crosby-Malkin-Staal-Talbot.

quoipourquoi 01-16-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 (Post 57681489)
I think Ricci >>>>>>>>>> Drury, even if we're talking Drury's early years.

Besides, wasn't Drury a winger with the Avs? I always thought the lines were Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, Drury-Forsberg-Deadmarsh.

I want to say that Sakic-Forsberg-Yelle-Drury was mostly in 1999. Drury moved up with Forsberg on the wing rather quickly after his rookie season, but took over as center between Nieminen and Hinote when Forsberg lost his spleen. And I think he still took draws in the 2002 playoffs when Forsberg came back until the trade in the off-season.

victor 01-16-2013 05:32 PM

1986-1987 Edmonton Oilers:

Wayne Gretzky - 26 years old, 79gp - 62g - 121a - 183pts
Mark Messier - 26 years old, 77gp - 37g - 70a - 107pts.
Craig MacTavish - 28 years old, 79gp - 20g - 19a - 39pts
Kent Nilsson - 30 years old, 17gp - 5g - 12a - 17pts (Acquired from Minny, 61gp - 18g - 45a - 63pts)
Kevin McClleand - 24 years old, 72gp - 12g - 13a - 25pts - 238PIM

Wow. Gretzky had his point totals drop by 32 points from the prior year, and still had 183 points. He was 75 points ahead of the next person in the scoring race, Jari Kurri. Messier was tied with Mario Lemeiux for third place.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.