HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scott Gomez for $1 million anybody (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1324221)

HogtownSabresfan 01-15-2013 06:13 PM

Scott Gomez for $1 million anybody

Will be bought out tomorrow under latest agreement between league and NHLPA. He'll get a one year deal for peanuts. He might be out to prove himself. My guess is he's gone right away as a UFA. We could use another centre

Clock 01-15-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan (Post 57647561)
He'll get a one year deal for peanuts. He might be out to prove himself.

No thanks, he's done plenty of proving already for my taste. :laugh:

I'd rather the spot he'd take be used for the youth.

ZZamboni 01-15-2013 06:25 PM

No :shakehead

Fire Lindy 01-15-2013 06:32 PM

Imagine we sign Gomez in replace of Grigorenko to start the season, would almost be worth it to hear the whiner line...jk of course.

JPurp26 01-15-2013 07:20 PM

No thanks

Woodhouse 01-15-2013 07:50 PM

No, Montreal gave him more than enough time to prove his worth.

[Also, Mods isn't it almost time for an official trade/rumor/proposal thread rather than all these sign and proposal threads cluttering up the board? I could understand if they were legit sourced rumors or speculation. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, just a thought.]

JOHNBOY 01-15-2013 07:52 PM

hell no, would rather see Hecht or Grigorenko in the line-up then scotty to hotty..

Jacob582 01-15-2013 07:55 PM

If I were Montreal I would tell Gomez and his agent that we will agree to buy you out now, but you cannot sign with another NHL team in the Eastern Conference this year.

joshjull 01-15-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 57652363)
If I were Montreal I would tell Gomez and his agent that we will agree to buy you out now, but you cannot sign with another NHL team in the Eastern Conference this year.

They have no control over where he signs. Nor should they.

Jacob582 01-15-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 57652485)
They have no control over where he signs. Nor should they.

Ok, here is how the conversation would go with Gomez and his agent.

If you want to play somewhere this year then you cannot sign with x,y,z. Otherwise, we are not going to buy you out and you can sit at home this season.

joshjull 01-15-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 57652929)
Ok, here is how the conversation would go with Gomez and his agent.

If you want to play somewhere this year then you cannot sign with x,y,z. Otherwise, we are not going to buy you out and you can sit at home this season.

No thats not what will happen. If he is going to be bought out as per and agreement between the NHLPA and NHL then there will be no preconditions. So no, that talk will not take place.

JOHNBOY 01-15-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 57653207)
No thats not what will happen. If he is going to be bought out as per and agreement between the NHLPA and NHL then there will be no preconditions. So no, that talk will not take place.

I am willing to bet even if there was no agreement Montreal wouldn't care where he went, Scott Gomez isn't going to put any team over the top...

Jacob582 01-15-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 57653207)
No thats not what will happen. He is going to be bought out as per and agreement between the NHLPA and NHL. So no, that talk will not take place.

The League and PA came to an agreement to allow clubs to buy out a player before Saturday. It is now up to Montreal and Gomez as to whether this happens.

"the club may provide the player with the option to be bought out, instead of being loaned. Before the buyout can take place, the player must first give his written consent by no later than Friday."

joshjull 01-15-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 57653433)
I am willing to bet even if there was no agreement Montreal wouldn't care where he went, Scott Gomez isn't going to put any team over the top...

Very true

Jacob582 01-15-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 57653433)

Why take the risk? There is no benefit to Montreal to buy out Gomez now. They can have him sit at home and buy him out this summer.

If you were the Rangers would you want Redden to sign with the Flyers for 750K?

joshjull 01-15-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 57653469)
The League and PA came to an agreement to allow clubs to buy out a player before Saturday. It is now up to Montreal and Gomez as to whether this happens.

"the club may provide the player with the option to be bought out, instead of being loaned. Before the buyout can take place, the player must first give his written consent by no later than Friday."

Again he is either bought out or not. THE TEAM CANNOT PUT PRECONDITIONS ON IT.

Why is this so hard for you to grasp? You may think you're clever thinking this up but its not allowed. So if the Habs bought him out, how exactly would they enforce this illegal precondition? :shakehead

5 Minute Major 01-15-2013 08:24 PM

If the Sabres can try to resurrect the career of Joe Finley, yeah, I'd be on board with Gomez at a cheap price.

McTank 01-15-2013 08:25 PM

Oh HELL NAW

joshjull 01-15-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 57653571)
Why take the risk? There is no benefit to Montreal to buy out Gomez now. They can have him sit at home and buy him out this summer.

If you were the Rangers would you want Redden to sign with the Flyers for 750K?

Why on earth would these teams be scared of Gomez or Redden signing with their rivals?

You do realize they can sign with those same rivals after being bought out in the summer as well.

Jacob582 01-15-2013 08:34 PM

Ok, show me the rule that says they can't have that discussion with Gomez and his agent before agreeing to buy him out.

A GM wouldn't be able to enforce it, but I would still have that discussion with the player and his agent. If they cross me, shame on them. The player might not care, but the agent has to continue to deal with that club.

JOHNBOY 01-15-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 57653973)
Why on earth would these teams be scared of Gomez or Redden signing with their rivals?

You do realize they can sign with those same rivals after being bought out in the summer as well.

agreed, especially Redden. His days are done in the NHL..

McTank 01-15-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 57654191)
agreed, especially Redden. His days are done in the NHL..

Disagree, such a need for D right now I bet he gets a job

Layne Staley 01-15-2013 08:37 PM

Not interested at all, even at vet minimum. We need to open a spot for Grigorenko, not close one by signing Gomez.

Boose30 01-15-2013 08:42 PM

uk if we didnt just sign hecht a few days ago i might have entertained the idea of signing gomez. having player depth at center couldnt hurt plus the guy just really needs a change of scenery, uk how those ppl in montreal can be

joshjull 01-15-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 57654177)
Ok, show me the rule that says they can't have that discussion with Gomez and his agent before agreeing to buy him out.

A GM wouldn't be able to enforce it, but I would still have that discussion with the player and his agent. If they cross me, shame on them. The player might not care, but the agent has to continue to deal with that club.

No GM would ask this and no agent would agree to it.

Its really this simple. A team either buys a player out or they don't. Once they do he is a UFA and can sign where ever they want. Thats it.